Session Variable gets truncated and drives me crazy

doltharz

Please Help me

i'm doing something i though was to be REALLY EASY but it drives me
crazy

The complete code is at the end of the email
(i mean newsgroup article),

i always use Option Explicit
and Response.Expires=-1,
there is NO INCLUDE at all,
no side effect from any other asp page,
no global.asa of nothing like that.
It's on MY IIS 5 server
hosted on a Win2000 server SP3.
I'm using IE6-SP1

Here it goes for step by step explanation:

I call http://192.168.0.102/Page.asp&driving=me&crazy=true

I write down session variable content

Response.Write Session("DoltharzURL") & "<BR>"
<!-- THE NEXT LINE IS REALLY BLANK -->

(( Till it's the first time, there is nothing here ))

<!-- THE PREVIOUS LINE IS REALLY BLANK -->
i put the current page address with its querystring in a session
variable

Dim tmp
tmp = Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" &
Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") & ""
Session("DoltharzURL") = tmp & ""

The & "" at the end is to be sure the data is really a string and not
a reference to an object even if it's not necessary till it's already
a concatenation of something else... too much can't hurt.

Then i write down session variable content, just to be sure it's realy
in the session variable and it's really there.

Response.Write Session("DoltharzURL") & "<BR>"

/Page.asp?driving=me&crazy=true

Then i REOPEN the SAME page which does write down the session variable
content

Response.Write Session("DoltharzURL") & "<BR>"

/Page.asp?

Why is the querystring gone????????????

Even stranger, if i set the Session Variable content this way
Session("DoltharzURL") = "BEGIN" & tmp & "END"
I'll end up with
BEGIN/Page.asp?END
Even if all the time Response.Write folling the Session Variable
content definition gives me the right content

Going even further, i manually set the content to
"/Page.asp?driving=me&crazy=true"
without calling any other function (ServerVariables) and here it's
working fine.

So i said to myself, there is a {BEEP} \0 at the end of that {BEEP}
Request.ServerVariables("")^so i've type a function that write down
the content of the string byte by byte giving all ascii code...

<%
For i = 1 to len(arg)
Response.Write i & ", " & mid(arg,i,1) & ", " & asc(mid(arg,i,1))
& "<BR>"
next
%>

it gives me (fake one)

1, /, 47
2, p, 99
3, a, 115
4, g, 115
5, e, 116
6, .
7, a
8, s
9, p
10, ?
11, d
12, r
13, i
14, v
15, i
16, n
17, g
18, =
19, m
20, e
21, &
22, c
23, r
24, a
25, z
26, y
27, =
28, t
29, r
30, u
31, e

with no gap in the char count 1..2..3..4..5.. ... ..31..32
there is no \o between "/page.asp?" and "Drime=me&Crazy=true"
So i though it was the "?" so i replace it by "XYZ" to end up with
/Page.aspXYZ

The variable is called DoltharzURL which i assumed isn't a reserved
keyword, if it is... i'm a very lucky guy.

Please Help me

<%
'Rem * * * CALL THIS PAGE TWICE WITH TWO ARGs ON THE QUERYSTRING
'Rem * * * e.g.: Page.asp?arg1=value1&arg2=value2

Dim tmp
tmp = Session("DoltharzURL")
Response.Write "tmp=" & tmp & "<BR>"
Response.Write Session("DoltharzURL") & "<BR>"
Response.Write Session.SessionID & "<BR>"

tmp = Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" &
Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") & ""

Session("DoltharzURL") = tmp & ""
Response.Write "tmp=" & tmp & "<BR>"
Response.Write Session("DoltharzURL") & "<BR>"
Response.Write Session.SessionID & "<BR>"

%>

Reply to both my personnal email and this group...

doltharz at hotmail dot com

I'm not a GURU nor an EXPERT or something like that.
I'm just a passionnate programmer.

Doltharz

Julian

Hi

It seems we have the same problem, read my post (4 posting below you) "the
value of session variables gets lost". It is a strange problem.

doltharz

To drive me a little bit more craze but maybe to help some of you to
pin point the problem:

Remember that those are not scientific bullet proof copy/pasted code
but human typed article... dont flame if a typo makes it way to you.

This one works when not using the QUERY_STRING
"/page.asp?80" makes it way
<%
Dim tmp
tmp = Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" &
Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_PORT") & ""
Session("DoltharzURL") = tmp & ""
%>

This one doesn't work when using the QUERY_STRING
Only a "/Page.asp?" makes it way
<%
Dim tmp
tmp = Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" &
Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") & ""
Session("DoltharzURL") = tmp & ""
%>

This one doesn't work when using the QUERY_STRING
Only a "?" makes it way
<%
Dim tmp
tmp = "?" & Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") & ""
Session("DoltharzURL") = tmp & ""
%>

Maybe the problem is the QUERY_STRING server variable and not the
Session Variable.

Hope that helps those who are tring to help us ;)

[...]

Michael D. Kersey

Have you tried "View Source" in the browser? Sometimes, because of HTML
formatting issues, the output of an ASP page differs from what the
browser presents.

Good Luck,
Michael D. Kersey

Bob Barrows

I called it 5 times - no difference.
doltharz said:
You need to call the page TWICE.
The second time, the session variable content is not what it is
expected (for me)

it's not a formatting issue but really a "NON EXISTANCE" issue
it's a wise guess till & is an escape code but... already checked that
one... thanks...

&param2=something produces something like
¶m2=something

It seems that only ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") produces that ,
i've tried with some others like SERVER_PORT or SCRIPT_NAME

Doltharz

I'm not a GURU nor an EXPERT or something like that.
I'm just a passionnate programmer.

Doltharz

doltharz

Can you give me your IIS, OS Version and SP info?

I called it 5 times - no difference.

I'm not a GURU nor an EXPERT or something like that.
I'm just a passionnate programmer.

Doltharz

doltharz

after more tests
i realised the probleme only occured when there is some HTML code
before the critical code and only with ServerVariables("query_string")

take a look at this sample

try it with and without the HTML code

%>
<!DOCTYPE>
<BODY BGCOL...>
<%

= Code goes here = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

<%
Option Explicit
Response.Expires=-1
%>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="TextPad 4.6">
<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="?">
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="?">
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="?">
</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000" LINK="#FF0000" VLINK="#800000"
ALINK="#FF00FF" BACKGROUND="?">

<%

Dim tmp
tmp = Session("DoltharzURL")
Response.Write "tmp=" & tmp & "<BR>"
Response.Write Session("DoltharzURL") & "<BR>"
Response.Write Session.SessionID & "<BR>"

'tmp = Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" &
Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") & ""
tmp = Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME") & "?" _
& Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") & ""

Session("DoltharzURL") = tmp & ""
Response.Write "tmp=" & tmp & "<BR>"
Response.Write Session("DoltharzURL") & "<BR>"
Response.Write Session.SessionID & "<BR>"

%>

</BODY>
</HTML>

I'm not a GURU nor an EXPERT or something like that.
I'm just a passionnate programmer.

Doltharz

Bob Barrows

I'm not sure what you mean by "HTML code". Show us the version that works,
followed by the version that doesn't work. I know that will make the post
much longer, but it will eliminate the guesswork.

Bob

Bob Barrows

OK - this got to me too late for me to do anything with it today. What I
would suggest is that you remove lines one-by-one from the page that does
not work until you discover exactly which line is causeing it to fail. I
suspect that it's that DOCTYPE line, myself. Any idea why you need that one?

Bob Barrows

doltharz

it's included in the TextPad blank page pattern and i was also willing
to create a CSS/W3C Validated Page.

OK - this got to me too late for me to do anything with it today. What I
would suggest is that you remove lines one-by-one from the page that does
not work until you discover exactly which line is causeing it to fail. I
suspect that it's that DOCTYPE line, myself. Any idea why you need that one?

Bob Barrows

I'm not a GURU nor an EXPERT or something like that.
I'm just a passionnate programmer.

Doltharz

doltharz

I think i got it...

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000" LINK="#FF0000" VLINK="#800000"
ALINK="#FF00FF" BACKGROUND="?">

BACKGROUND="?" seems to cause the problem
BACKGROUND="" works just fine