    What permission are they suppose to be?
    What boxs under read write execute etc should be
    checked in order for them to show up?
    TisMe, Jun 4, 2004

  2. TisMe

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
    > for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.

    Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?

    As usual, a URL would be most helpful.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jun 4, 2004

  3. TisMe

    TisMe Guest

    :
    :: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
    :: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
    :
    : Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
    :
    : As usual, a URL would be most helpful.

    The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.

    http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
    http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm

    --
    DEFINITION: Computer - A device created to speed up errors.
    TisMe, Jun 4, 2004
  4. TisMe

    rf Guest

    "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    > : On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <>
    > : declared in alt.html:
    > :
    > :: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
    > :: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
    > :
    > : Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
    > :
    > : As usual, a URL would be most helpful.
    >
    > The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.
    >

    > http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
    > http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm

    Hmmm... http://www.learningpc4newbies.com/zipppingaa.jpg

    Should this not be
    http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg

    BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 4, 2004
  5. TisMe

    TisMe Guest

    rf wrote:
    : "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    : news:p4Qvc.36987$...
    :: Mark Parnell wrote:
    ::: On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <>
    ::: declared in alt.html:
    :::
    :::: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
    :::: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
    :::
    ::: Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
    :::
    ::: As usual, a URL would be most helpful.
    ::
    :: The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.
    ::
    ::
    :: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
    :: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm
    :
    : Hmmm... http://www.learningpc4newbies.com/zipppingaa.jpg
    :
    : Should this not be
    : http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
    :
    : BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.
    :
    : Cheers
    : Richard.
    ..

    OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes* One question though... How do I
    apply compression?
    TisMe, Jun 4, 2004
  6. TisMe

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jun 4, 2004
  7. TisMe

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 01:44:46 GMT, TisMe <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > One question though... How do I apply compression?

    With your favourite graphics program. The details depend on the software
    in question.

    Mark Parnell, Jun 4, 2004
  8. TisMe

    TisMe Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    : On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 01:17:35 GMT, TisMe <>
    : declared in alt.html:
    :
    :: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
    :: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm
    :
    : Works fine here, but I'm assuming you have fixed them since Richard's
    : post.
    :
    : I agree with Richard about the file size, though - takes a good 5-10
    : seconds to download each one here, and I'm on broadband.
    :
    : You might want to check your spelling/grammar too (e.g. "the very fist
    : window"). :)

    Thanks guys! I corrected the spelling error. Yes I did correct the links
    before you got there.
    I forgot I had changed domains. Ok so how do I do the file compression?
    TisMe, Jun 4, 2004
  9. TisMe

    rf Guest

    "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    > : "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    > : news:p4Qvc.36987$...

    > : http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
    > :
    > : BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.

    > OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes*

    Happens :). That is why you always supply a URL when posting a question.

    > One question though... How do I
    > apply compression?

    The image editor you used to create the jpeg will have an option to apply
    compression.

    <steals image to play />

    What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?

    I dumped it into my image editor and saved it without compression and it
    turned out to be 41K. At 50% compression, 12K with not many visible
    artifacts.

    Hmmm... I saved it as a bmp. The bmp is 185K. Hmmm again. Did you simply
    save this as a bmp and then rename it to .jpg? I did so and, guess what? the
    browser displays it.

    Looks hard... right click>save as wants to save it as a bmp. You *did* save
    it as a bmp and rename it, didn't you :) That is not how it's done, you
    need to save it as a jpg. Paint (windows 2k or above) will do this for you.
    When dumped into paint it saved at 14K.

    This, however, this is a picture of text. jpeg is a lossy format,
    compressing text tends to make text blurry and unreadable. You might be
    better off saving it as a gif, which uses a non-lossy compression. I did
    this with your image and the gif is 5K, a bit less than your 185K :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 4, 2004
  10. TisMe

    Neal Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:11:15 GMT, rf <> wrote:
    > you
    > need to save it as a jpg. Paint (windows 2k or above) will do this for
    > you.

    W98 Paint will as well.
    Neal, Jun 4, 2004
  11. TisMe

    rf Guest

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:11:15 GMT, rf <> wrote:
    > > you
    > > need to save it as a jpg. Paint (windows 2k or above) will do this for
    > > you.

    > W98 Paint will as well.

    Ah, OK. Must have been 95 I was thinking of :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 4, 2004
  12. TisMe

    Big Bill Guest

    wrote:

    >rf wrote:
    >: "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    >: news:p4Qvc.36987$...
    >:: Mark Parnell wrote:
    >::: On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <>
    >::: declared in alt.html:
    >:::
    >:::: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
    >:::: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
    >:::
    >::: Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
    >:::
    >::: As usual, a URL would be most helpful.
    >::
    >:: The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.
    >::
    >::
    >:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
    >:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm
    >:
    >: Hmmm... http://www.learningpc4newbies.com/zipppingaa.jpg
    >:
    >: Should this not be
    >: http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
    >:
    >: BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.
    >:
    >: Cheers
    >: Richard.
    >.
    >
    >OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes* One question though... How do I
    >apply compression?

    Go to www.xat.com and download one of their gadgets. Or, if we're
    talking about jpegs, just open and close the file in Windows Paint.
    That'll do it.

    BB
    Big Bill, Jun 4, 2004
  13. TisMe

    TisMe Guest

    rf wrote:
    : "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    : news:iuQvc.37012$...
    :: rf wrote:
    ::: "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    ::: news:p4Qvc.36987$...
    :
    ::: http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
    :::
    ::: BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.
    :
    :: OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes*
    :
    : Happens :). That is why you always supply a URL when posting a
    : question.
    :
    :: One question though... How do I
    :: apply compression?
    :
    : The image editor you used to create the jpeg will have an option to
    : apply compression.
    :
    : <steals image to play />
    :
    : What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?

    I cannot tell a lie, i used MS paint. I changed the filename by typing in
    "filename.jpg" including the quotes. I believe it was a bmp file too
    before hand.

    :
[...]

    Paint doesn't like gif formats. it does a lousy job guys,
    when you are done with it... it looks like you turned it over to a
    six year old to play with. The color is crap, and the
    whole file looks like crap.

    : 185K :)
    :
    : Cheers
    : Richard.

    --
    DEFINITION: Computer - A device created to speed up errors.
    TisMe, Jun 4, 2004
  14. TisMe

    TisMe Guest

    TisMe wrote:
    : Mark Parnell wrote:
[...]

    It would of helped if I had of put the width and height in too.

    TisMe, Jun 4, 2004
  15. TisMe

    Nik Coughin Guest

    TisMe wrote:
    > Paint doesn't like gif formats. it does a lousy job guys,
    > when you are done with it... it looks like you turned it over to a
    > six year old to play with. The color is crap, and the
    > whole file looks like crap.

    Download Paint Shop Pro from http://www.jascsoftware.com

    PSP is quite good if you know how to use it properly, and it's also quite
    cheap. You can get a working demo from the site above.

    Or get Irfanview, which is free:

    http://www.irfanview.com/

    It won't let you edit your images, but you can open and save in a lot of
    different formats. It won't make horrible looking GIF files like Paint does
    (Paint dithers your GIF using some particularly crappy standard palette).
    Nik Coughin, Jun 4, 2004
  16. TisMe

    rf Guest

    "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    > : <steals image to play />
    > :
    > : What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?
    >

    > I cannot tell a lie, i used MS paint. I changed the filename by typing in
    > "filename.jpg" including the quotes. I believe it was a bmp file too
    > before hand.

    As well as specifying the file name you have to specify the type of the
    file, in the combo box under the one where you typed in the file name.

    > Paint doesn't like gif formats. it does a lousy job guys,

    What?

    It uses the same OS component for compression/decompression as a lot of
    other MS programs use, including IE.

    > when you are done with it... it looks like you turned it over to a
    > six year old to play with. The color is crap, and the
    > whole file looks like crap.

    Whatever. Its still a whole lot better than a 185K bmp.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 4, 2004
  17. TisMe

    TisMe Guest

    rf wrote:
    : "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    : news:HeRvc.37054$...
    :: rf wrote:
    ::: <steals image to play />
    :::
    ::: What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?
    ::
    ::
    :: I cannot tell a lie, i used MS paint. I changed the filename by
    :: typing in "filename.jpg" including the quotes. I believe it was a
    :: bmp file too before hand.
    :
    : As well as specifying the file name you have to specify the type of
    : the file, in the combo box under the one where you typed in the file
    : name.

    Not if I include the quotes. Which I did in this case. zipping1.bmp was
    changed to "zipping1.jpg"

    --
    DEFINITION: Computer - A device created to speed up errors.
    TisMe, Jun 4, 2004
  18. TisMe

    Nik Coughin Guest

    TisMe wrote:
    > rf wrote:
    >> "TisMe" <> wrote in message

    >>> I cannot tell a lie, i used MS paint. I changed the filename by
    >>> typing in "filename.jpg" including the quotes. I believe it was a
    >>> bmp file too before hand.

    >> As well as specifying the file name you have to specify the type of
    >> the file, in the combo box under the one where you typed in the file
    >> name.

    > Not if I include the quotes. Which I did in this case. zipping1.bmp
    > was changed to "zipping1.jpg"

    That doesn't change the file type, only the file name. I can rename a word
    document from my.doc to my.txt, but try doing that and then opening the file
    with notepad.
    Nik Coughin, Jun 4, 2004
  19. TisMe

    rf Guest

    rf, Jun 4, 2004
  20. TisMe

    Nik Coughin Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "TisMe" <> wrote in message
    >> rf wrote:
    >>> <steals image to play />

    >> when you are done with it... it looks like you turned it over to a
    >> six year old to play with. The color is crap, and the
    >> whole file looks like crap.

    > Whatever. Its still a whole lot better than a 185K bmp.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Nah, it looks really shit. Paint uses a standard palette and dithers to it.

    Original pic:
    http://www.nrkn.com/temp/photo.png

    Saved as GIF in Paint:
    http://www.nrkn.com/temp/photoPaint.gif

    Saved as GIF in PSP:
    http://www.nrkn.com/temp/photoPSP.gif

    And that picture actually looks OK in Paint. I've seen Paint do much worse
    than that, it depends on how suitable the standard palette is for the image
    in question.
    Nik Coughin, Jun 4, 2004