sharing code between web apps

Stephen

We have a number of web applications that are currently sharing code
through a file-inclusion process whereby each application delivers to
the same client its own copy of common code.

like this:

com.some.app1.*
com.some.shared.*

com.some.app2.*
com.some.shared.*

As you can imagine, this is causing problems.

We want to move the com.some.shared.* package into a single service
which the other applications use. The purpose of the com.shared package
is to present query forms and perform searches on behalf of its
containing application.

The com.some.shared.* package in its current implementation communicates
with the other applications through a SearchRequest/SearchResponse
interface. com.some.shared.* includes JSPs which we want to use.

Not sure what is the best way to approach. A web service? Can we use the
com.shared JSPs or do the applications need to keep their own versions
of the query form JSPs?

Is web service feasible in this problem? Is there a better solution?

Jon Martin Solaas

Stephen said:
[...]

Using a webservice would be a solution to some kind of architectural
problem you might want to solve, but this doesn't sound like an
architectural problem. Have you tried to put all com.some.shared.*
classes into a separate jar and install that as a single lib on the
webserver for all apps to use?

Try to explain exactly what the problem is, and I'm sure someone can
come up with a better answer ;-)