sharing code (includes and controls)

Joe

While I understand that Server Side Includes still work, I realize it's
not the best practice for sharing code such as a common set of includes
between screens.

In ASP.NET I've already built several User Controls and such for sharing
code between screens, but this typically was used things such as menus
and headers and footers.

What is the best practice in 1.1 for sharing code such as a common set
of functions used by multiple screens?

Can you create a control with a REGISTER declaration but not include
it's custom "tag" in the page, or just not have it outputting anything
in order to bring in some code? Are there any inheritance concerns? It
seems to me there should be a way to set the page to inherit some other
classes? How do you reference them? Do you need to compile them and add
them to an assembly or can they be referenced as files?

Thanks,

Joe

Kevin Spencer

What is the best practice in 1.1 for sharing code such as a common set of
functions used by multiple screens?
Classes.

Can you create a control with a REGISTER declaration but not include it's
custom "tag" in the page, or just not have it outputting anything in order
to bring in some code? Are there any inheritance concerns?
Huh?

It seems to me there should be a way to set the page to inherit some other
classes?

A Page is a class. A class in .Net can inherit exactly 1 class. I get the
feeling this is not what you're asking here, but I am unable to discern what
it is.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer