    What's the difference? Can XHTML sites be read by wireless browsers
    like Blackberry while XHTML mobile is only for older WAP phones?

    Thanks!

    chronos3d, Dec 4, 2006

  2. chronos3d

    Andy Dingley Guest

    chronos3d wrote:
    > I'm designing a site for a restaurant and want to insure it's code is

    >I've read that new sites should be written in XHTML..

    Wrong.

    > I've coverted the site to XHTML 1.1.

    Well convert it back to HTML 4.01 Strict, like you should have used in
    the first place! Or at least convert it back to XHTML 1.0 Strict
    Appendix C

    > there's also an option for XHTML mobile 1.0.

    "An option for" suggests that you're using some idiot-tool to make this
    site (which you didn't tell us the URL for) rather than understanding
    what you're doing.

    > I'm
    > interested in the mobile aspect since one never knows if someone with a
    > wireless device will access the site.

    That's the point these days - you'll never know. So don't assume and
    don't serve mobile-specific formats unless you _know_ you're serving to
    a mobile device (i.e. you're working with a mobile networks'
    walled-garden servers)

    If you're publishing to the public web, just do good-quality valid work
    in HTML 4.01 Strict and let the network handle any transcoding needed.
    Obviously this means a good fluid design too, not <table>s and pixels.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 4, 2006

  3. "Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message

    > chronos3d wrote:
    > > I'm designing a site for a restaurant and want to insure it's code is

    > >I've read that new sites should be written in XHTML..

    > Wrong.
    >
    > > I've coverted the site to XHTML 1.1.

    > Well convert it back to HTML 4.01 Strict, like you should have used in
    > the first place! Or at least convert it back to XHTML 1.0 Strict
    > Appendix C
    >
    > > there's also an option for XHTML mobile 1.0.

    > "An option for" suggests that you're using some idiot-tool to make this
    > site (which you didn't tell us the URL for) rather than understanding
    > what you're doing.
    >
    > > I'm
    > > interested in the mobile aspect since one never knows if someone with a
    > > wireless device will access the site.

    > That's the point these days - you'll never know. So don't assume and
    > don't serve mobile-specific formats unless you _know_ you're serving to
    > a mobile device (i.e. you're working with a mobile networks'
    > walled-garden servers)
    >
    > If you're publishing to the public web, just do good-quality valid work
    > in HTML 4.01 Strict and let the network handle any transcoding needed.
    > Obviously this means a good fluid design too, not <table>s and pixels.

    how does one code for mobiles? i hope thats not a stupid question but i have
    a feeling it might be.

    a human person, Dec 4, 2006
  4. chronos3d

    CptDondo Guest

    a human person wrote:

    > how does one code for mobiles? i hope thats not a stupid question but i have
    > a feeling it might be.

    Google for WML

    --Yan

    CptDondo, Dec 4, 2006
  5. chronos3d

    Andy Dingley Guest

    a human person wrote:

    > how does one code for mobiles?

    Same as coding for desktops, only more carefully. If you have a good
    fluid design (length units in ems, think about how it resizes for small
    windows, make sure it's usable without scrolling far down) then it
    "just works".

    You don't need to use the moble flavours of XHTML because the network
    will transcode to those if it has to and thankfully WAP and WML are
    just a bad memory.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 4, 2006
  6. "Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message

    > a human person wrote:
    >
    > > how does one code for mobiles?

    > Same as coding for desktops, only more carefully. If you have a good
    > fluid design (length units in ems, think about how it resizes for small
    > windows, make sure it's usable without scrolling far down) then it
    > "just works".
    >
    > You don't need to use the moble flavours of XHTML because the network
    > will transcode to those if it has to and thankfully WAP and WML are
    > just a bad memory.

    ahhh very good sir. thankyou.

    a human person, Dec 4, 2006
  7. chronos3d

    chronos3d Guest

    a human person wrote:
    > how does one code for mobiles? i hope thats not a stupid question but i have
    > a feeling it might be.

    In Dreamweaver there's an option to convert pages to variants of HTML
    or XHTML. Should you have DW, go to FILE then CONVERT.

    chronos3d, Dec 5, 2006
  8. chronos3d

    the red dot Guest

    "chronos3d" <> wrote in message

    > a human person wrote:
    > > how does one code for mobiles? i hope thats not a stupid question but i

    have
    > > a feeling it might be.

    > In Dreamweaver there's an option to convert pages to variants of HTML
    > or XHTML. Should you have DW, go to FILE then CONVERT.

    erk sadly or luckily i dont use dreamweaver. thanks anyway.

    the red dot, Dec 5, 2006
  9. chronos3d

    Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > You don't need to use the moble flavours of XHTML because the network
    > will transcode to those if it has to and thankfully WAP and WML are
    > just a bad memory.

    WAP 1.0 had transcoders, but XHTML-MP (Mobile Profile) is used in
    devices that connect directly to the internet. For example, a lot of
    Verizon cell phones use the Openwave 6.2 browser. If you want to see
    how your site looks on one of those devices, download the simulator at:

    http://developer.openwave.com/dvl/tools_and_sdk/phone_simulator/index.htm

    Also go to the link at right for Phone Simulator Documentation, and get
    the XHTML-MP and CSS Reference under the Development Guides section.
    One big site design note: this browser does't support any scripting
    yet.

    There's also a free standalone Windows Mobile simulator, but I don't
    have the link offhand.

    Usually people don't design their pages to work on both powerful and
    limited devices at the same time. Instead they will redirect limited
    devices to another version of their site.

    Regards, Kevin

    , Dec 5, 2006
  10. chronos3d

    Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > WAP 1.0 had transcoders, but XHTML-MP (Mobile Profile) is used in
    > devices that connect directly to the internet.

    This starts to get awfully network-dependent (still, although less than
    it used to be) but the networks that support "free range" web access to
    http://*.internet:80 in general still have some level of proxying or
    transcoding in situ. For one thing, they'll resize images. They may
    pass HTML-like content through if it looks acceptable, but for most of
    it (how else are you going to browse the general web?) it'll transcode
    from tag soup into XHTML-MP first

    XHTML-MP is an important issue if you're dealing with networks or
    handsets, but you don't need to code in it for a public site and it
    will still get mobile access from many devices and networks.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 5, 2006