    or 'hi - do you still remember www.basketball.com?'

    So I don't look only for pop ups. A whole page can do it.
    Not possible? 'Remote' is dangerous?

    Jan C. Faerber, Dec 5, 2009

  2. Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    > is it possible long time after ie exits to show a pop up?
    > I think pop ups are 'out' now because everybody uses a pop up blocker
    > - at least the majority. Well, in most browsers you have to do some
    > work to disable to pop up blocker.
    >
    > I just think about a page saying: 'hello - thank you for your visit 3
    > days ago! Today we have a special offer...'
    > or 'hi - do you still remember www.basketball.com?'
    >
    > So I don't look only for pop ups. A whole page can do it.
    > Not possible? 'Remote' is dangerous?

    Google "session cookie"

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 5, 2009

  3. > Google "session cookie"

    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan

    now I do so - and find on one of the first pages:

    Also called a transient cookie, a cookie that is erased when the user
    closes the Web browser. The session cookie is stored in temporary
    memory and is not retained after the browser is closed. Session
    cookies do not collect information from the user’s computer. They
    typically will store information in the form of a session
    identification that does not personally identify the user.

    - - When it is erased, how can it open the page again after ages?

    Jan C. Faerber, Dec 5, 2009
  4. Jan C. Faerber wrote:

    >> Google "session cookie"
    >>
    >> --
    >> Take care,
    >>
    >> Jonathan

    > now I do so - and find on one of the first pages:
    >
    > Also called a transient cookie, a cookie that is erased when the user
    > closes the Web browser. The session cookie is stored in temporary
    > memory and is not retained after the browser is closed. Session
    > cookies do not collect information from the user’s computer. They
    > typically will store information in the form of a session
    > identification that does not personally identify the user.
    >

    > - - When it is erased, how can it open the page again after ages?

    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=persistent+session+cookie&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=>

    Google Search: persistent session cookie
    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 5, 2009
  5. On Dec 5, 8:36 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=persistent+session+cook...>
    >
    > Google Search: persistent session cookie

    we..,ll may a stupid question.
    sometimes you see that a small window opens for some reason.
    is it compulsory that this window will be closed when you close the
    main window?

    Can you still run ie when there is no window open on the task bar?

    Jan C. Faerber, Dec 5, 2009
  6. Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 8:36 pm, "Jonathan N. Little"<> wrote:
    >
    >> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=persistent+session+cook...>
    >>
    >> Google Search: persistent session cookie

    > we..,ll may a stupid question.
    > sometimes you see that a small window opens for some reason.
    > is it compulsory that this window will be closed when you close the
    > main window?

    It is called a *modal* dialog box.

    > Can you still run ie when there is no window open on the task bar?

    Don't know, but what does it have to do with HTML?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 5, 2009
  7. Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    > is it possible long time after ie exits to show a pop up?
    > I think pop ups are 'out' now because everybody uses a pop up blocker
    > - at least the majority. Well, in most browsers you have to do some
    > work to disable to pop up blocker.
    >
    > I just think about a page saying: 'hello - thank you for your visit 3
    > days ago! Today we have a special offer...'
    > or 'hi - do you still remember www.basketball.com?'

    The kind of thing you're asking about is called "spam" and "vandalism".
    What kind of a "thank you" do you think it is to try to make windows
    appear out of nowhere on a person's computer? It's bad enough when
    another window pops up *at the time I'm leaving the website*--who does
    the website's owner think he is, causing me to have to close yet another
    window because he wants me to look at an advertisement? And you want
    commercials to start popping up *days later*?

    In case I haven't made it clear, the response to anyone who wants to do
    this is, "Who the hell do you think you are?"

    Harlan Messinger, Dec 7, 2009
  8. Jan C. Faerber

    .._.. Guest

    "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message
    > Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    >> is it possible long time after ie exits to show a pop up?
    >> I think pop ups are 'out' now because everybody uses a pop up blocker
    >> - at least the majority. Well, in most browsers you have to do some
    >> work to disable to pop up blocker.
    >>
    >> I just think about a page saying: 'hello - thank you for your visit 3
    >> days ago! Today we have a special offer...'
    >> or 'hi - do you still remember www.basketball.com?'

    > The kind of thing you're asking about is called "spam" and "vandalism".
    > What kind of a "thank you" do you think it is to try to make windows
    > appear out of nowhere on a person's computer? It's bad enough when another
    > window pops up *at the time I'm leaving the website*--who does the
    > website's owner think he is, causing me to have to close yet another
    > window because he wants me to look at an advertisement? And you want
    > commercials to start popping up *days later*?
    >
    > In case I haven't made it clear, the response to anyone who wants to do
    > this is, "Who the hell do you think you are?"

    You could have summed it up; "Go download a Spyware/Adware toolkit,
    dickbag" ;)

    .._.., Dec 8, 2009