Please Can I Have Help Showing a Web Page Inside My Web Site

Discussion in 'HTML' started by AshParr@gmail.com, Oct 22, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
    of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

    Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,
    so to cut down on the up-keep of the site i think this would really
    help as the pages are automatically updated. One of the pages i am
    trying to display is

    http://www.mrha.co.uk/LeagueTables.asp?leagueid=1&divisionid=3

    Im stuck on how to do it, any help would be much appreciated.

    Many Thanks in advance,

    Ashley

    , Oct 22, 2007

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
    > of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.
    >
    > Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,
    > so to cut down on the up-keep of the site i think this would really
    > help as the pages are automatically updated. One of the pages i am
    > trying to display is
    >
    > http://www.mrha.co.uk/LeagueTables.asp?leagueid=1&divisionid=3
    >

    > Im stuck on how to do it, any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Many Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Ashley

    You can easily embed a slab of html code into any html file by
    using "server side includes" or "php includes" (google up these).
    This saves you from having to repeat a lot of code everywhere
    (eg, menus that get repeated).

    If you are wanting to get a whole webpage into another, you might
    be thinking of the now outdated and not recommended technology of
    HTML Frames. But you could be bold and go against the recommended
    trends. Frames are very poor for bookmarking for users and have
    other downsides. But they are fun! If you need a hand, give a
    shout.

    Automatic updating of a website is a very different and more
    difficult ask. It mostly involves databases and php. Are you up
    for this?

    Why not get the basics right first. See:

    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.mrha
    ..co.uk%2FLeagueTables.asp%3Fleagueid%3D1%26divisionid%3D3>

    You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft
    Visual Studio 6.0"

    Consider Textwrangler and

    <http://www.htmldog.com/>

    instead.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 22, 2007

    On Oct 22, 9:51 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    > wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
    > > of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

    > > Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,
    > > so to cut down on the up-keep of the site i think this would really
    > > help as the pages are automatically updated. One of the pages i am
    > > trying to display is

    > >http://www.mrha.co.uk/LeagueTables.asp?leagueid=1&divisionid=3

    > > Im stuck on how to do it, any help would be much appreciated.

    > > Many Thanks in advance,

    > > Ashley

    > You can easily embed a slab of html code into any html file by
    > using "server side includes" or "php includes" (google up these).
    > This saves you from having to repeat a lot of code everywhere
    > (eg, menus that get repeated).
    >
    > If you are wanting to get a whole webpage into another, you might
    > be thinking of the now outdated and not recommended technology of
    > HTML Frames. But you could be bold and go against the recommended
    > trends. Frames are very poor for bookmarking for users and have
    > other downsides. But they are fun! If you need a hand, give a
    > shout.
    >
    > Automatic updating of a website is a very different and more
    > difficult ask. It mostly involves databases and php. Are you up
    > for this?
    >
    > Why not get the basics right first. See:
    >
    > <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.mrha
    > .co.uk%2FLeagueTables.asp%3Fleagueid%3D1%26divisionid%3D3>
    >
    > You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft
    > Visual Studio 6.0"
    >
    > Consider Textwrangler and
    >
    > <http://www.htmldog.com/>
    >
    > instead.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for the reply,

    "You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft"
    Visual Studio 6.0" " i havnt used this program.

    i am not updating the page myself, the "mrha" group update there
    website and i am just wanting to show that specific page inside one of
    my pages, not using frames.

    i have found this but dont really understand it

    HTML:

    <!--[if IE]> <object classid="clsid:
    25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13" data="some.html"> <p>backup
    content</p> </object> <![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]> <--> <object
    <!--> <![endif]-->

    This worked like a charm, but in IE (both 6 and 7) it shows with an
    ugly border and scrollbar, even though the content itself was less
    than the width and height of the object element. It turned out that I
    need to specify this in the included page:

    HTML:

    .... <body style="border:0;overflow:visible">

    , Oct 22, 2007

    On 22 Oct, 11:14, wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 9:51 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article
    > > <>,

    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi All,

    > > > i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
    > > > of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

    > > > Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,
    > > > so to cut down on the up-keep of the site i think this would really
    > > > help as the pages are automatically updated. One of the pages i am
    > > > trying to display is

    > > >http://www.mrha.co.uk/LeagueTables.asp?leagueid=1&divisionid=3

    > > > Im stuck on how to do it, any help would be much appreciated.

    > > > Many Thanks in advance,

    > > > Ashley

    > > You can easily embed a slab of html code into any html file by
    > > using "server side includes" or "php includes" (google up these).
    > > This saves you from having to repeat a lot of code everywhere
    > > (eg, menus that get repeated).

    > > If you are wanting to get a whole webpage into another, you might
    > > be thinking of the now outdated and not recommended technology of
    > > HTML Frames. But you could be bold and go against the recommended
    > > trends. Frames are very poor for bookmarking for users and have
    > > other downsides. But they are fun! If you need a hand, give a
    > > shout.

    > > Automatic updating of a website is a very different and more
    > > difficult ask. It mostly involves databases and php. Are you up
    > > for this?

    > > Why not get the basics right first. See:

    > > <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.mrha
    > > .co.uk%2FLeagueTables.asp%3Fleagueid%3D1%26divisionid%3D3>

    > > You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft
    > > Visual Studio 6.0"

    > > Consider Textwrangler and

    > > <http://www.htmldog.com/>

    > > instead.

    > > --
    > > dorayme- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks for the reply,
    >
    > "You won't like this advice, I would be wary of your "Microsoft"
    > Visual Studio 6.0" " i havnt used this program.
    >
    > i am not updating the page myself, the "mrha" group update there
    > website and i am just wanting to show that specific page inside one of
    > my pages, not using frames.
    >
    > i have found this but dont really understand it
    >
    > HTML:
    >
    > <!--[if IE]> <object classid="clsid:
    > 25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13" data="some.html"> <p>backup
    > content</p> </object> <![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]> <--> <object
    > <!--> <![endif]-->
    >
    > This worked like a charm, but in IE (both 6 and 7) it shows with an
    > ugly border and scrollbar, even though the content itself was less
    > than the width and height of the object element. It turned out that I
    > need to specify this in the included page:
    >
    > HTML:
    >
    > .... <body style="border:0;overflow:visible">- Hide quoted text -

    since i posted i also found this:

    Show Website Within a Website:

    <object data=http://www.web-source.net width="600" height="400">
    <embed src=http://www.web-source.net width="600" height="400"> </
    embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>

    but i donot know how to configure this

    , Oct 22, 2007
  5. On Oct 22, 11:23 am, wrote:
    > Show Website Within a Website:
    >
    > <object data=http://www.web-source.netwidth="600" height="400">

    Browsers that support it treat it pretty much like an iframe, but it
    has much worse support. Avoid.

    > <embed src=http://www.web-source.netwidth="600" height="400"> </
    > embed>

    Invalid. Avoid.

    > Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>

    Unhelpful alternative content. Avoid.

    --
    David Dorward
    http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Oct 22, 2007
  6. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:

    > i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
    > of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

    I know what you're thinking, since I've done some web work for local
    sports teams, too. The league keeps the schedules, scores and standings
    on their own site. At first we tried duplicating it on our own site, but
    it was too error prone. We finally just posted links to the league pages
    that related to our team and left it at that.

    > Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,

    You can probably "embed" the pages from the league site using an iframe,
    but you really must ask their permission before you do this. Otherwise
    you are stealing their content and bandwidth. They might not like that.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 22, 2007

    On Oct 22, 9:40 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > i am currently designing a website for my hockey club, i was thinking
    > > of showing the curent league table, fixtures & results.

    > I know what you're thinking, since I've done some web work for local
    > sports teams, too. The league keeps the schedules, scores and standings
    > on their own site. At first we tried duplicating it on our own site, but
    > it was too error prone. We finally just posted links to the league pages
    > that related to our team and left it at that.
    >
    > > Then i heard that you can somehow embed another webpage into my page,

    > You can probably "embed" the pages from the league site using an iframe,
    > but you really must ask their permission before you do this. Otherwise
    > you are stealing their content and bandwidth. They might not like that.
    >
    > --
    > Berg

    Thankyou all for your responses,
    later on i found information about iframes to and found that it does
    what i want it to, are they not to be used? what are the affects if i
    use them?

    , Oct 23, 2007
  8. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:

    > later on i found information about iframes to and found that it does
    > what i want it to, are they not to be used? what are the affects if i
    > use them?

    Look up "frames are evil". iframes have pretty much the same problems,
    but they do have their uses. Like I said, if you decide to put the
    league pages in your site through iframes, get their permission first.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 23, 2007

    > Look up "frames are evil". iframes have pretty much the same problems,
    > but they do have their uses. Like I said, if you decide to put the
    > league pages in your site through iframes, get their permission first.
    >
    > --
    > Berg

    Thankyou berg,

    I have emailed the owners/administrators of the site explaining what i
    want to do and is it possible for me to show their information.

    I know that frames may not be the best answer in most cases but for
    this i see no other alternative. I can either:
    - Show data in Iframe
    - Just allow the user links to there site
    - Update all of the fixtures, results & league tables every week
    (Massive work load & maintenance involved)

    If they allow me to show their data then i cannot see a better way to
    do so, unless im being a noob :(

    Many Thanks,
    Ash

    , Oct 23, 2007
  10. Chaddy2222 Guest

    wrote:
    > > Look up "frames are evil". iframes have pretty much the same problems,
    > > but they do have their uses. Like I said, if you decide to put the
    > > league pages in your site through iframes, get their permission first.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Berg

    > Thankyou berg,
    >
    > I have emailed the owners/administrators of the site explaining what i
    > want to do and is it possible for me to show their information.
    >
    > I know that frames may not be the best answer in most cases but for
    > this i see no other alternative. I can either:
    > - Show data in Iframe
    > - Just allow the user links to there site
    > - Update all of the fixtures, results & league tables every week
    > (Massive work load & maintenance involved)
    >
    > If they allow me to show their data then i cannot see a better way to
    > do so, unless im being a noob :(
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    > Ash

    You would probably be better off just linking to that page. Or just re-
    write the data that you need.
    --
    Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz

    Chaddy2222, Oct 23, 2007
  11. Bergamot Guest

    Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > You would probably be better off just linking to that page. Or just re-
    > write the data that you need.

    You've apparently not worked on a sports team site before. :)
    Rewriting the data can be a massive amount of work, and very error
    prone. Linking to the league's site is OK, but the users really want the
    info right there so they don't have to wade through the league site to
    get what they want.

    It would *really* be nice, though, if the league had something like an
    RSS feed for each team and division. Then we could post updates on our
    site as they became available and weed out what we don't want.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 24, 2007
  12. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Bergamot <> wrote:

    > Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > > You would probably be better off just linking to that page. Or just re-
    > > write the data that you need.

    > You've apparently not worked on a sports team site before. :)
    > Rewriting the data can be a massive amount of work, and very error
    > prone. Linking to the league's site is OK, but the users really want the
    > info right there so they don't have to wade through the league site to
    > get what they want.
    >
    > It would *really* be nice, though, if the league had something like an
    > RSS feed for each team and division. Then we could post updates on our
    > site as they became available and weed out what we don't want.

    If the league put in an id to the bit of the page with the
    results and then a url could be fashioned that might help
    pinpoint them easier. OP might consider asking for such small
    insertions into the mark up of their pages (I have not looked if
    they do or not)

    and the url could be something like

    /page.html#results

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 24, 2007

    On Oct 24, 12:28 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Bergamot <> wrote:
    > > Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > > > You would probably be better off just linking to that page. Or just re-
    > > > write the data that you need.

    > > You've apparently not worked on a sports team site before. :)
    > > Rewriting the data can be a massive amount of work, and very error
    > > prone. Linking to the league's site is OK, but the users really want the
    > > info right there so they don't have to wade through the league site to
    > > get what they want.

    > > It would *really* be nice, though, if the league had something like an
    > > RSS feed for each team and division. Then we could post updates on our
    > > site as they became available and weed out what we don't want.

    > If the league put in an id to the bit of the page with the
    > results and then a url could be fashioned that might help
    > pinpoint them easier. OP might consider asking for such small
    > insertions into the mark up of their pages (I have not looked if
    > they do or not)

    > and the url could be something like
    >
    > /page.html#results
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Cheers for all of the responses to my original post.

    I have heard from the web administrator for the website and he said
    its not a problem for me to do so. unfortuanatly they do not have rss
    feeds but using iframes seem to do the trick

    Many Thanks,

    Ash

    , Oct 24, 2007
  14. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Oct 24, 12:28 am, dorayme

    > > If the league put in an id to the bit of the page with the
    > > results and then a url could be fashioned that might help
    > > pinpoint them easier. OP might consider asking for such small
    > > insertions into the mark up of their pages (I have not looked if
    > > they do or not)

    > > and the url could be something like
    > >
    > > /page.html#results
    > >

    > Cheers for all of the responses to my original post.
    >
    > I have heard from the web administrator for the website and he said
    > its not a problem for me to do so. unfortuanatly they do not have rss
    > feeds but using iframes seem to do the trick

    Well, fair enough. But if you run into any problems or can't be
    bothered maintaining such a frames bases solution, consider the
    idea of a more specific targeting of the sports results in a
    simple link to their site which uses the "id" I mentioned. The
    idea of linking into a sports site and your users having to find
    the actual results is, presumably, a major put-off for you. But
    if they can go more directly to the results, that would overcome
    the problem. And they could go more directly if your cooperative
    website administrator would put in an id at the top of the
    relevant results on his pages.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 24, 2007