Sign in once to site

Ike

I'm wondering how best to do this, hoping for input from this group.

I have a sight, with various pages - each of which requires the user to log
in. One of the pages is a java applet, where the user must authetnticate to
as well.

I'm wondering how to handle this, securely, such that the user authenticates
once upon entering the sight, and isnt required to again for the life of the
session.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ike

Mark Parnell

I'm wondering how to handle this, securely, such that the user authenticates
once upon entering the sight, and isnt required to again for the life of the
session.

Am I missing something here? That's how most login scripts work. Google
is your friend.

rf

Ike said:
I'm wondering how best to do this, hoping for input from this group.

I have a sight, with various pages - each of which requires the user to log
in. One of the pages is a java applet, where the user must authetnticate to
as well.

I'm wondering how to handle this, securely, such that the user authenticates
once upon entering the sight, and isnt required to again for the life of the
session.

Any suggestions?

Don't multipost. I don't know which newsgroup you want me to answer in.

Cheers
Richard.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

I can't be a good troll if you don't bombast me with your grandiloquence
rhetoric. :(

rf

Trevor Oakley said:
Why not suggest a method of posting, or advise, and not tell?

Ah, then your suggestion for a methog of posting or your advice would be...
?

Cheers
Richard.

Michel

Ask for username/password in one script.
set cookie for the result (maybe compare to a user database)
look at:

SetCookie on php.net for detailed information on how to accomplish this.

(get $user and $pass from a form)

$authorisation_string=$user."-".md5($pass);
[compare string with DB entry. if correct=>]
SetCookie("credentials",$authorisation_string);

you can target this cookie from your scripts with:

if(isset($_COOKIE["credentials"])){
$authorisation_string=$_COOKIE["credentials"];
}else {die("not authorised or authorisation not possible");}

or whatever.

William Tasso

rf said:
Ah, then your suggestion for a methog of posting or your advice would
be... ?

hells teeth and buckets of drip - it's not September again already?

* * * *

If you don't understand the humour in the above then look it up

usenet use and abuse is well documented. For example, on the web - a search
engine can usually be encouraged to reveal the necessary. maybe start with:
usenet multipost

and here's a little bedtime reading from the school of common sense:

Toodle-pip.