Web Start/JNLP in a Single-Sign On environment

Discussion in 'Java' started by Steve A, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. Steve A

    Steve A Guest

    Hello,

    I'm deploying a Swing application using Web Start in a single-sign on
    environment. (In my particular case I'm using JOSSO and Tomcat). When a
    user is authenticated a SSO session ID cookie is created. Therefore I
    can protect the URL to the JSP that generates the JNLP file. The
    problem I'm having is that when javaws attempts to download the
    application jar files, it fails because the web server redirects the
    HTTP GET to a login page. The reason is that I'm not using basic
    authentication and so the security agent on the web server is expecting
    to find the SSO session ID cookie with the HTTP request. Javaws doesn't
    have this cookie so the HTTP GET returns the HTML of the login page,
    not the JAR file itself and the application fails to launch.

    I've searched through Sun's forums on the topic and found only
    solutions using basic authentication. Another approach is to put the
    JAR files in a non-secure location so that no authentication is
    required to download them.

    I don't have the option of using different implementations of javaws.
    The application must be launched by clicking a link in a browser. There
    is no offline allowed and I don't include the href attribute in the
    JNLP file.

    Has anyone deployed a web start app in a SSO environment and if so,
    how? Or is it not possible?

    Thank you,
    Steve A.
    Steve A, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Steve A

    arajput

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Hi, Were you able to find a solution to this, sorry this is an old post but just wondering if you recall anything. Thanks Ashish

    arajput, Feb 13, 2012