Simple html list for personal DVD collection (with check mark) using CSS and not tables - data is in

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ©®, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. ©®

    ©® Guest

    I am using Dreamweaver MX (6.1).

    I would like to have a list of my DVDs (or music) in a simple html file
    with an empty check box or a ticked check box, depending if the movie is
    at home or a friend has borrowed it e.g. (where [X] = borrowed movie):

    [ ] Title 1
    [X] Title 2
    [ ] Title 3
    [ ] Title 4
    [X] Title 5
    [ ] Title 6

    I know this can be done in tables, but how would I do it tablesless with
    CSS so there is a checkbox if one of the DVDs is lent out? I am using MS
    Access 2003 and have never done any linking with databases before. I am
    not even sure what it is called to do this. I can have PHP access on my
    site but not ASP as far as I know.
    Thanks

    ©®, Jan 15, 2006

  2. In alt.html, ©® wrote:

    > I know this can be done in tables, but how would I do it tablesless with
    > CSS so there is a checkbox if one of the DVDs is lent out?

    That looks like a table to me. Skip the CSS for it.

    Artist Title On Loan

    Steve McDonald Spinfield [ ]
    Lester Wizard King The Wizard of Ahhs [ ]

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 15, 2006

  3. ©®

    David Segall Guest

    "©®" <> wrote:

    >I am using Dreamweaver MX (6.1).
    >
    >I would like to have a list of my DVDs (or music) in a simple html file
    >with an empty check box or a ticked check box, depending if the movie is
    >at home or a friend has borrowed it e.g. (where [X] = borrowed movie):
    >
    >[ ] Title 1
    >[X] Title 2
    >[ ] Title 3
    >[ ] Title 4
    >[X] Title 5
    >[ ] Title 6
    >
    >I know this can be done in tables, but how would I do it tablesless with
    >CSS so there is a checkbox if one of the DVDs is lent out?

    This is exactly what tables are designed for. Why would you want to
    avoid using them?
    >I am using MS
    >Access 2003 and have never done any linking with databases before. I am
    >not even sure what it is called to do this. I can have PHP access on my
    >site but not ASP as far as I know.
    >Thanks

    The change from producing HTML pages to server-side programming is a
    large one. Adding a database is a significant step on top of that.

    The Macromedia solution to the problem is ColdFusion
    <http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/> and the combination
    of that and Dreamweaver provides an easy way to avoid the details.
    Although Macromedia have a free download, deploying this solution is
    expensive and won't be handled by most ISP's.

    Equally easy, and free, is Sun's Java Studio Creator
    <http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/ea/jsc2/index.html>
    but it will mean learning a new tool. If you use the included web
    server and database you will have your application running in a few
    days. You will also have learned a huge amount about what is required.
    Java Studio Creator requires support for Java Server Pages (JSP) which
    is the non-Microsoft equivalent of ASP. Your ISP may provide this (the
    software is free) but, in any case, you will be in a much better
    position to decide what you need. You may decide that hosting your DVD
    collection on your own computer is the simplest solution. That way you
    can provide the (free) server-side programs required. A service like
    DynDNS <http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/> provides a free
    URL that you can reference from your "real" site.

    I feel I should mention Microsoft's equivalent of Studio Creator. For
    the time being it is also free -
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/>. The production
    server and the advanced version of the product are not free and, if
    Microsoft are true to form, anything you write will have to be
    rewritten in two or three years.

    David Segall, Jan 15, 2006
  4. ©®

    ©® Guest

    Thanks David for all the info. I will have a read and see what I can do.
    Many thanks.

    ©®, Jan 15, 2006
  5. ©®

    Toby Inkster Guest

    ©® wrote:

    > [ ] Title 1
    > [X] Title 2
    > [ ] Title 3
    > [ ] Title 4
    > [X] Title 5
    > [ ] Title 6
    >
    > I know this can be done in tables, but how would I do it tablesless with
    > CSS so there is a checkbox if one of the DVDs is lent out?

    <label>
    <input type="checkbox" name="chkTitle1" value="1">
    Title 1
    </label>
    <label>
    <input type="checkbox" name="chkTitle2" value="1" checked>
    Title 2
    </label>
    <label>
    <input type="checkbox" name="chkTitle3" value="1">
    Title 3
    </label>
    <label>
    <input type="checkbox" name="chkTitle4" value="1">
    Title 4
    </label>
    <label>
    <input type="checkbox" name="chkTitle5" value="1" checked>
    Title 5
    </label>
    <label>
    <input type="checkbox" name="chkTitle6" value="1">
    Title 6
    </label>

    > I am using MS Access 2003 [...] I can have PHP access on my site but
    > not ASP as far as I know.

    If you have PHP on your site, but not ASP, then it probably means that
    you're on a Linux/UNIX host, so Access 2003 is not an option. Find out
    what (if any) server side databases your host supports. (MySQL will
    probably be the answer.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 16, 2006