    cheers,
    Ciaran
    , Jun 17, 2006

  2. tbar Guest

    > Is it possible to set an anchor to jump to the middle of the screen
    > rather then the top when it is called? Needless to say I cannot just
    > move the anchor higher up the page ;c)
    >
    > cheers,
    > Ciaran

    Not that I've heard of.
    tbar, Jun 17, 2006

  3. code_wrong Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to set an anchor to jump to the middle of the screen
    > rather then the top when it is called? Needless to say I cannot just
    > move the anchor higher up the page ;c)

    Do you mean something like this:
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    <a name="tips"></a>
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    Useful Tips Section
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    blah
    code_wrong, Jun 17, 2006
  4. tbar Guest

    >> Is it possible to set an anchor to jump to the middle of the screen
    >> rather then the top when it is called? Needless to say I cannot just
    >> move the anchor higher up the page ;c)
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >> Ciaran
    >>

    > Not that I've heard of.

    css: center-this-thing, ignore all others
    tbar, Jun 18, 2006
  5. dorayme Guest

    In article <4494875d$>,
    "code_wrong" <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to set an anchor to jump to the middle of the screen
    > > rather then the top when it is called? Needless to say I cannot just
    > > move the anchor higher up the page ;c)
    > >

    > Do you mean something like this:
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > <a name="tips"></a>
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > Useful Tips Section
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah
    > blah

    Its hard enough to understand what OP wants without supposing he
    wants to jump to the useful tips section well before that
    section?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 18, 2006
  6. code_wrong Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <4494875d$>,
    > "code_wrong" <> wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Is it possible to set an anchor to jump to the middle of the screen
    >> > rather then the top when it is called? Needless to say I cannot just
    >> > move the anchor higher up the page ;c)
    >> >

    >> Do you mean something like this:
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> <a name="tips"></a>
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> Useful Tips Section
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah
    >> blah

    > Its hard enough to understand what OP wants without supposing he
    > wants to jump to the useful tips section well before that
    > section?

    yes it is a bit of a stab in the dark
    code_wrong, Jun 18, 2006
  7. CRON Guest

    Hi, Thanks for the replies: regarding code_wrong's post (quoted below).
    I am looking for the this exact effect but the line:
    <a name="tips"></a>
    MUST be next to or beside the line:
    Useful Tips Section

    I cannot simply move the anchor up the page because it is generated as
    part of a database list from PHP. So I need a way for the anchor to
    find the centre of the screen rather then the top when called.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ciaran

    CRON, Jun 18, 2006
  8. tbar Guest

    It's commonly known as "tables are good"
    tbar, Jun 18, 2006
  9. CRON Guest

    tbar wrote:

    > It's commonly known as "tables are good"

    .....Yeah.... So has anyone got any ideas please?
    CRON, Jun 18, 2006
  10. Ciaran, please don't top post.

    CRON wrote:
    > Hi, Thanks for the replies: regarding code_wrong's post (quoted below).
    > I am looking for the this exact effect but the line:
    > <a name="tips"></a>
    > MUST be next to or beside the line:
    > Useful Tips Section
    >
    > I cannot simply move the anchor up the page because it is generated as
    > part of a database list from PHP. So I need a way for the anchor to
    > find the centre of the screen rather then the top when called.

    Long ago I once experiment to do the very same thin in order to clear an
    absolute positioned header at the top of the page. The bottom line was
    it required JavaScript. The JavaScript got very complicated and results
    was hardly satisfactory. Cross browser differences problem, trapping the
    scroll via a link using a hash vs. just a page scroll, determining the
    proper offset and then not triggering page scroll adjustment....it goes
    on and on... There just is no really good way to accomplish what you
    wish. The best solution is to adjust your php that outputs the db
    results to make the anchor at the very top of the output and maybe tweak
    your CSS to provide extra space to push the output into view.

    A[name] { display: block; margin-bottom: 2em; }

    <snipping the rest>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 18, 2006
  11. tbar wrote:
    > It's commonly known as "tables are good"

    For tabular data, yes.

    Otherwise what are your talking about? Please quote.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 18, 2006
  12. CRON Guest

    Jonathan,
    Thanks for the reply - it's good to have an answer even tho its not
    what I wanted to hear ;c) I'll try the CSS margin. Cheers,

    Not sure what top posting is, but if you let me know I'll try to avoid
    it!

    Ciaran

    CRON, Jun 18, 2006
  13. tbar Guest

    way too many words
    tbar, Jun 18, 2006
  14. tbar Guest

    Geez, there's no way except tables to know in advance the width of
    things, is there?
    tbar, Jun 18, 2006
  15. CRON Guest

    tbar wrote:

    > Geez, there's no way except tables to know in advance the width of
    > things, is there?

    Why are you posting on the board at all if you're too lazy to make any
    sense?
    CRON, Jun 18, 2006
  16. tbar Guest

    Seriously, there is no way.
    tbar, Jun 18, 2006
  17. dorayme Guest

    In article <449490d3$>,
    "code_wrong" <> wrote:

    > > Its hard enough to understand what OP wants without supposing he
    > > wants to jump to the useful tips section well before that
    > > section?

    > yes it is a bit of a stab in the dark

    You mean that when you put the "named" part in, you put on a
    blindfold and moved the mouse to paste in "<a name="tips"></a>"
    like in playing 'Pin the tail on the donkey'?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 18, 2006
  18. CRON Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > In article <449490d3$>,
    > "code_wrong" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Its hard enough to understand what OP wants without supposing he
    > > > wants to jump to the useful tips section well before that
    > > > section?

    > > yes it is a bit of a stab in the dark

    > You mean that when you put the "named" part in, you put on a
    > blindfold and moved the mouse to paste in "<a name="tips"></a>"
    > like in playing 'Pin the tail on the donkey'?
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    ....yes. thats exactly what I mean.
    CRON, Jun 18, 2006
  19. CRON wrote:

    > tbar wrote:
    > [using User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.4 (Windows/20060516)]
    >
    >> Geez, there's no way except tables to know in advance the width of
    >> things, is there?

    tbar: when replying, do not erase the quoted material. Instead,
    carefully trim it and reply inline as you see everyone else doing here.

    > Why are you posting on the board at all if you're too lazy to make
    > any sense?

    It is not a board, it is a Usenet newsgroup. Google Groups is merely a
    (bad) interface to it. Why don't you find a good newsreader?

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 18, 2006