Simple information gathering script req..

Mike

Matt Bradley said:
Geoff said:
I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from Mike
contained the following:

That is excellent and it worked!!! Thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank
you, thank you, thank you, thank you.. etc.

And you think that $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is giving you the IP of the
person accessing your page huh?

<http://www.phpfreaks.com/phpref/52.php>

Whether this is a person or a bot, whether that person is using a proxy,
or whatever, is another matter. But, yes, $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] will
give you the IP address of the requesting client.

Indeed.. I have tested it via several different clients and it
works very well.

Alan J. Flavell

Whether this is a person or a bot, whether that person is using a proxy, or
whatever, is another matter. But, yes, $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] will give you
the IP address of the requesting client.

or proxy, or gateway.

Richard Watson

Mike said:
It would be better if it worked in a html page mind. As I
understand it, google prefers .html pages for indexing, so this
can't be used in the home page.

There's no real need for a php page to end in .php although that
depends on the friendliness of your system admin and/or the ability
for you to use some kind of local configuration like .htaccess.

Having said that, are you sure "google prefers .html". It would seem
odd for a search engine to differentiate based on delivery method.

Mike

Richard Watson said:
There's no real need for a php page to end in .php although that
depends on the friendliness of your system admin and/or the ability
for you to use some kind of local configuration like .htaccess.

Ok.. I'll check that.
Having said that, are you sure "google prefers .html". It would seem
odd for a search engine to differentiate based on delivery method.

Not sure no, it is one of those urban whispers but seems
widespread enough to have some merit.

Wÿrm

Mike said:
"Richard Watson" <[email protected]> wrote:

Not sure no, it is one of those urban whispers but seems
widespread enough to have some merit.

That's what it is, urban legend.

Google will happily take about almost anything unless you have gazillion
variables in dynamic page ulrs. More there are variables, more likely google
(or other searchbots) will spider slower or go only so deep to pages (to not
get in endless loop situations).

:::Jerry::::

<snip abuse>

Thanks for replying with your changed user ID, I suspect you have just
proved yourself to be the troll and man of self abuse many (I suspect) are
starting to think you are...

Mike

:::Jerry:::: said:
<snip abuse>

Thanks for replying with your changed user ID, I suspect you have just
proved yourself to be the troll and man of self abuse many (I suspect) are
starting to think you are...

I was proving a point.. That you know less about web authoring
than you do about usenet, which is precisely *nothing*.

Let us not forget your initial post to this thread in which you
said... "you come over as an angry wanker".

And *you* charge *me* with abuse?

Piss off you tosser.

Mike

Wÿrm said:
That's what it is, urban legend.
Hmm.

Google will happily take about almost anything unless you have gazillion
variables in dynamic page ulrs. More there are variables, more likely google
(or other searchbots) will spider slower or go only so deep to pages (to not
get in endless loop situations).

All take this under advisement. ;)

Mike

:::Jerry:::: said:
And in doing so you admit to being a troll...

Not in the slightest, it is you who can't quit. You're a disgrace
to your so called frineds in this group, if you still have any.
Now kindly go and play with your ego in private, only young children tend to
do it in front of others in public.....

Which bit of "piss off" are you struggling with?

Mike

neredbojias said:
Without quill or qualm, Mike quothed:

The only reason I'm replying to this tripe is I'm going for the monthly
record.

I'm coming back next week with a request for help with an HTML
problem.