Simple VSS Question

James

I have a local web project called ABC. ASP.NET 1.1 and VSS 6.0. It's
located at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ABC. It's deployed to our production
environment at http://www.abc.com/ABC (version 1.0). Now I'm making
changes, working on 2.0. Client calls and wants a small change. I don't
want to roll out 2.0 yet, I just want to change 1.0 to reflect their simple
change, redeploy it, integrate the change into 2.0 and get on with life.
What type of setup do I need?

Say I've this structure:

$/
Development
ABC (working on 2.0 here, this is where I check in/out from)
Production
ABC (static copy of 1.0 that I "branched" off)

Now...somehow I want to get the Production copy of ABC, make changes,
compile it and deploy it. Do I just get this into a different local folder?
like c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ABCProduction? That seems...awkward to me for some
reason. Is there a better way?

Brad Bruce

[...]

Not source-safe. You need a version control tool that provides "true"
branching.

I've switched to Subversion because of this very scenario.

Brad Bruce