simulating/calling javascript functions programmatically

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?WVI=?=, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I am tasked to write an application for a travel agency, that should be able to get a price for airline tickets from airline's website. Generally, airlines don't provide any web services for this, so I am sort of forced to simulate all the clicks/list boxes selection that a regular user would make. Most of those buttons have a java script associated with them, so as soon as a button's clicked -- java script runs.

    So, here is the question: what's the best way to implement a call to a javascript? Would I use ASP.NET platform, since it has these HttpRequest / Response objects? What would I put in my HttpRequest?

    For instance, if a web page http://www.mysite.com/page.cgi has a java script that looks something like this:

    function submit_SomeForm()
    {
    document.SomeForm.A.value = "A"
    document.SomeForm.B.value = "B"
    document.SomeForm.C.value = "C"

    document.SomeForm.submit()
    }

    What would be a code snippet that would setup SomeForm document with all the values and submit it to the site?
    Also, what tools would I use to see what the http string that goes from my browser to the site is like?

    I understand that I am sort of asking for a lot but I appreciate any help -- I am a rookie at this and it's tough to ask the right question :)

    I appreciate any help.

    Sincerely,
    YR

    =?Utf-8?B?WVI=?=, Jan 22, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?WVI=?=

    Scott Allen Guest

    Take a look at the WebRequest class which will allow you to do GET and
    POST. For example, here is a sample doing a POST :
    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/howto/doc/WebRequests/clientPOST.aspx

    One of the first tools I would get for debugging would be something
    like tcpTrace (see http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace/). This easily
    allows you to see all the traffic between yourself and a web site. You
    can compare what your code is sending versus what the browser sends.
    Even before debugging, it will show you a little bit about what
    happens on the form.submit call.

    HTH,

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com

    Scott Allen, Jan 22, 2004

  3. I had a similar query (actually posted it just before yours) and found my
    answer in the Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock method. It lets you add client
    side Javascript to your page from within your server side ASP.NET code.

    Regards,

    Lachlan

    Lachlan Gemmell, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Thanks.