Site mapper programs?

LRW

Are there any good programs (free or shareware) that help someone make a
site-map or flowchart for a proposed Web design? Before the site is made?
I used Visio in my last job, and it was great! Unfortunately I don't work
there anymore and don't have access to it.
Dreamweaver has a good visual rep of a site flowchart...but it's based off
of the created site.
I need something to help me make a visual representation of the pages and
their link to each other and a database, etc, to show clients.

I guess I could use Fireworks or Illustrator and just draw everything by
hand...but it'd be nice to have something with built in Web symbols and
such.

Thanks for any ideas!!
Liam
druid att celticbear dott com

William Tasso

LRW said:
Are there any good programs (free or shareware) that help someone
make a site-map or flowchart for a proposed Web design? Before the
site is made? I used Visio in my last job, and it was great!
Unfortunately I don't work there anymore and don't have access to it.
Dreamweaver has a good visual rep of a site flowchart...but it's
based off of the created site.
I need something to help me make a visual representation of the pages
and their link to each other and a database, etc, to show clients.

I guess I could use Fireworks or Illustrator and just draw everything
by hand...but it'd be nice to have something with built in Web
symbols and such.

As you say, Visio is good for this. Alternatively, ms-powerpoint and
ms-word are both good with block diagrams.

There is usually something given away on the cd attched to the PC comics -
IIRC it's called smartdraw or somesuch.

Long

:
: I guess I could use Fireworks or Illustrator and just draw everything by
: hand...but it'd be nice to have something with built in Web symbols and
: such.
:
For creating quick live demos, I would recommend WebCharm Free, but
the licensing is for non-commercial use only.

Long
www.edgesoft.ca/go/index.html

Ian Miller

LRW said:
Are there any good programs (free or shareware) that help someone make a
site-map or flowchart for a proposed Web design? Before the site is made?
I used Visio in my last job, and it was great! Unfortunately I don't work
there anymore and don't have access to it.
Dreamweaver has a good visual rep of a site flowchart...but it's based off
of the created site.
I need something to help me make a visual representation of the pages and
their link to each other and a database, etc, to show clients.

I guess I could use Fireworks or Illustrator and just draw everything by
hand...but it'd be nice to have something with built in Web symbols and
such.

Thanks for any ideas!!
Liam
druid att celticbear dott com
The OpenOffice.org draw program has many of the feature of visio - and it's
free!

Ian M

LRW

Ian Miller said:
The OpenOffice.org draw program has many of the feature of visio - and it's
free!

Excellent! thanks a lot, I completely forgot about OpenOffice!
=)
Liam

LRW

The OpenOffice.org draw program has many of the feature of visio - and it's
free!

I was wondering, since you seem familiar with it...is there an add-on symbol
set somewhere meant for site design? Basic flowcharting symbols maybe? Like
the cylndrical icon for a database, a rectangle with something in the middle
to indicate a page...all stuff I can draw myself, but was hoping there was
already a symbol set. =)
Doesn't hurt to ask.
Thanks!
Liam

Ian

I'm actually going through a site redesign right now and just today
started mapping out the new site structure. I too needed something and
not having Visio, almost started in with Corel DRAW!

Then I came to reality and remembered an excellent piece of software I
remember using way back in 97... SmartDraw Pro. I downloaded the demo
and am in love again!

http://www.smartdraw.com

It has a 30 day free trial with full functionality.. the real product is
worth every penny.

Good luck,
Ian