Slightly OT: Version Control Software For Java

cppaddict

Hi,

A custom Java app (of a few hundred class files) is installed on a
number of computers in my home, as well as on my work computer. I make
changes to it (almost daily) that affect only a few small files. I'd
like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something like
the following:

I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
or ssh information i will have configured in the program).

Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the program
I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest version" and
it downloads the new files from my server.

I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill
and looks difficult to learn.

Can anyone suggest a simple solution or simpler software?

Thanks in advance,
cpp

Patrick May

cppaddict said:
I'd like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something
like the following:

I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends
any modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose
ftp or ssh information i will have configured in the program).

Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the
program I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest
version" and it downloads the new files from my server.

I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill
and looks difficult to learn.

Subversion does, indeed, do exactly what you want (aside from
that clicky stuff -- use a command line like a real programmer). It's
also one of the easier source code control systems to learn -- not as
simple as SCCS perhaps, but far simpler than ClearCase.

Read the Subversion book sections on setting up a repository,
importing existing files, checking out, updating, and committing.
That should be all you need to start.

Regards,

Patrick

Francesco Devittori

cppaddict said:
[...]

In fact subversion is not difficult at all. Once you have it installed
on the server, you simply do

svn checkout https://your-host/your_repository

to get the latest version ('svn update' if you already have an older
version), and

svn commit

to submit your changes. You can also install something like trac on the
server to keep track of your changes. There is also tortoise svn
(http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/) which is a graphical frontend to
subversion.

In my opinion once you learn how to use subversion you'll feel lost when
working on a project without it!

Francesco

Roedy Green

I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
or ssh information i will have configured in the program).

I use NetLoad for that. they are no longer supporting it but I think
they will still sell a copy. see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/netload.html

One of my student projects is about writing a decent FTP upload. See
http://mindprod.com/projects/smartftp.html
My irritation level right now with other people's FTP uploaders is
about 9 of 10. It will likely be the next major project I on my own
time.

If you have the right to run code on your server, see rsync. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/rsync.html

Thomas Weidenfeller

cppaddict said:
A custom Java app (of a few hundred class files) is installed on a
number of computers in my home, as well as on my work computer. I make
changes to it (almost daily) that affect only a few small files. I'd
like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something like
the following:

I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
or ssh information i will have configured in the program).

Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the program
I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest version" and
it downloads the new files from my server.

I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill
and looks difficult to learn.

Can anyone suggest a simple solution or simpler software?

It's not clear from your description if you want to manage source files
or compiled .class files.

For class files: Install the application via web start on your client
computers, and provide the updates via web start if the application has
changed.

For source files, it sounds as if you want a central repository. Among
the commonly used free version control systems this doesn't rule out
RCS, but it need wrappers to so. Which leaves CVS and Subversion. I
would go for Subversion. CVS can be extremely annoying when it comes to
such simple things as renaming a file.

/Thomas

Hendrik Maryns

Jeffrey Schwab

cppaddict said:
Hi,

A custom Java app (of a few hundred class files) is installed on a
number of computers in my home, as well as on my work computer. I make
changes to it (almost daily) that affect only a few small files. I'd
like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something like
the following:

I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
or ssh information i will have configured in the program).

Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the program
I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest version" and
it downloads the new files from my server.

I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill

So what? Having support for features you don't yet need, but are likely
to need in the future, is unlikely to hurt you.
and looks difficult to learn.

It's not. I just use it to hold all those little throw-away scripts,
some of which I realize I need again several months later. Subversion
does seem to get confused about what's in my sandbox now and then
(beyond what svn cleanup can fix), but I've not lost any data to it in
the year I've been using it.

cppaddict

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied. I think I'll find
everything I need starting here....

cpp