Slightly OT: Version Control Software For Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by cppaddict, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. cppaddict

    cppaddict Guest

    Hi,

    A custom Java app (of a few hundred class files) is installed on a
    number of computers in my home, as well as on my work computer. I make
    changes to it (almost daily) that affect only a few small files. I'd
    like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something like
    the following:

    I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
    modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
    or ssh information i will have configured in the program).

    Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the program
    I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest version" and
    it downloads the new files from my server.

    I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill
    and looks difficult to learn.

    Can anyone suggest a simple solution or simpler software?

    Thanks in advance,
    cpp

    cppaddict, Jan 30, 2006

  2. cppaddict

    Patrick May Guest

    cppaddict <> writes:
    > I'd like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something
    > like the following:
    >
    > I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends
    > any modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose
    > ftp or ssh information i will have configured in the program).
    >
    > Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the
    > program I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest
    > version" and it downloads the new files from my server.
    >
    > I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill
    > and looks difficult to learn.

    Subversion does, indeed, do exactly what you want (aside from
    that clicky stuff -- use a command line like a real programmer). It's
    also one of the easier source code control systems to learn -- not as
    simple as SCCS perhaps, but far simpler than ClearCase.

    Read the Subversion book sections on setting up a repository,
    importing existing files, checking out, updating, and committing.
    That should be all you need to start.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | The experts in large scale distributed OO

    Patrick May, Jan 30, 2006

  3. cppaddict wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A custom Java app (of a few hundred class files) is installed on a
    > number of computers in my home, as well as on my work computer. I make
    > changes to it (almost daily) that affect only a few small files. I'd
    > like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something like
    > the following:
    >
    > I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
    > modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
    > or ssh information i will have configured in the program).
    >
    > Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the program
    > I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest version" and
    > it downloads the new files from my server.
    >
    > I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill
    > and looks difficult to learn.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple solution or simpler software?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > cpp

    In fact subversion is not difficult at all. Once you have it installed
    on the server, you simply do

    svn checkout https://your-host/your_repository

    to get the latest version ('svn update' if you already have an older
    version), and

    svn commit

    to submit your changes. You can also install something like trac on the
    server to keep track of your changes. There is also tortoise svn
    (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/) which is a graphical frontend to
    subversion.

    In my opinion once you learn how to use subversion you'll feel lost when
    working on a project without it!

    Francesco

    Francesco Devittori, Jan 30, 2006
  4. cppaddict

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:14:12 GMT, cppaddict <> wrote,

    >I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
    >modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
    >or ssh information i will have configured in the program).

    I use NetLoad for that. they are no longer supporting it but I think
    they will still sell a copy. see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/netload.html

    One of my student projects is about writing a decent FTP upload. See
    http://mindprod.com/projects/smartftp.html
    My irritation level right now with other people's FTP uploaders is
    about 9 of 10. It will likely be the next major project I on my own
    time.

    If you have the right to run code on your server, see rsync. See
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/rsync.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jan 30, 2006
  5. cppaddict wrote:
    > A custom Java app (of a few hundred class files) is installed on a
    > number of computers in my home, as well as on my work computer. I make
    > changes to it (almost daily) that affect only a few small files. I'd
    > like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something like
    > the following:
    >
    > I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
    > modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
    > or ssh information i will have configured in the program).
    >
    > Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the program
    > I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest version" and
    > it downloads the new files from my server.
    >
    > I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill
    > and looks difficult to learn.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple solution or simpler software?

    It's not clear from your description if you want to manage source files
    or compiled .class files.

    For class files: Install the application via web start on your client
    computers, and provide the updates via web start if the application has
    changed.

    For source files, it sounds as if you want a central repository. Among
    the commonly used free version control systems this doesn't rule out
    RCS, but it need wrappers to so. Which leaves CVS and Subversion. I
    would go for Subversion. CVS can be extremely annoying when it comes to
    such simple things as renaming a file.

    /Thomas
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jan 30, 2006
  6. cppaddict

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 30 Jan 2006 07:04:21 +0000, Patrick May <> wrote, quoted
    or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    > Subversion does, indeed, do exactly what you want (aside from
    >that clicky stuff -- use a command line like a real programmer). It's
    >also one of the easier source code control systems to learn -- not as
    >simple as SCCS perhaps, but far simpler than ClearCase.

    for links to comparison charts see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/versioncontrol.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jan 30, 2006
  7. cppaddict

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:30:47 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >I use NetLoad for that. they are no longer supporting it but I think
    >they will still sell a copy. see
    >http://mindprod.com/jgloss/netload.html

    this is for publishing stuff to the world. I also use the Replicator.
    See http://mindprod.com/webstarts/replicator.html

    But if what you are really doing is trying to keep source code
    listings in sync with backup, you need a proper version control
    system.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jan 30, 2006

    Hendrik Maryns, Jan 30, 2006
  9. cppaddict wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > A custom Java app (of a few hundred class files) is installed on a
    > number of computers in my home, as well as on my work computer. I make
    > changes to it (almost daily) that affect only a few small files. I'd
    > like to find a (preferably free) program that can do something like
    > the following:
    >
    > I make a change, then click "update on server." The program sends any
    > modified files (and only modified files) to my web server (whose ftp
    > or ssh information i will have configured in the program).
    >
    > Now, when I am on any of computers (which would also have the program
    > I'm looking for installed), I just click "sync to latest version" and
    > it downloads the new files from my server.
    >
    > I'm sure subversion could do what I want, but it seems like overkill

    So what? Having support for features you don't yet need, but are likely
    to need in the future, is unlikely to hurt you.

    > and looks difficult to learn.

    It's not. I just use it to hold all those little throw-away scripts,
    some of which I realize I need again several months later. Subversion
    does seem to get confused about what's in my sandbox now and then
    (beyond what svn cleanup can fix), but I've not lost any data to it in
    the year I've been using it.

    Jeffrey Schwab, Jan 30, 2006
  10. cppaddict

    cppaddict Guest

    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied. I think I'll find
    everything I need starting here....

    cpp

    cppaddict, Jan 31, 2006