Slow Computers and Developer (oops... the link was missing)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Behrang Saeedzadeh, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I have created a survey titled "Slow Computers and Developer
    Productivity" with the aim of finding the possible effects of slow
    computer performance on developer productivity, behavior, and ROI for
    companies. It is a small survey with only 5 items. I have created this
    experimental survey for my IT Research methods class. I will be
    thankful if you participate in the survey.

    The link to survey:
    http://freeonlinesurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=5wteqz343h7adoq289498

    Thanks in advance,
    Behrang

    --

    Behrang Saeedzadeh
    http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa

    Behrang Saeedzadeh, Apr 13, 2007

  2. On 13 Apr 2007, at 18:09, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
    > I have created a survey titled "Slow Computers and Developer
    > Productivity" with the aim of finding the possible effects of slow
    > computer performance on developer productivity, behavior, and ROI for
    > companies. It is a small survey with only 5 items. I have created this
    > experimental survey for my IT Research methods class. I will be
    > thankful if you participate in the survey.

    Some of my most productive development work has been performed on
    "slow" computers but as you've not really allowed for that option I
    can't participate in your survey. This leads me to suspect that
    you've already drawn your own conclusion...

    Ellie

    Being and Doing are merely useful abstractions for the 'time'-
    dependent asymmetries of phase space.

    Eleanor McHugh, Apr 14, 2007

  3. Hi Ellie,

    You could point to that fact in the comments. As I had said, this is
    only an experimental survey. Besides my lack of enough attention, part
    of the fact that it was not high quality, was the restrictions of the
    survey builder I used. I'll be happy if you participate in the next
    survey that I am going to create during the course of the next two
    weeks.

    Cheers,
    Behi

    Behrang Saeedzadeh, Apr 14, 2007
  4. Johan Veenstra wrote:
    > On 4/14/07, Eleanor McHugh <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Some of my most productive development work has been performed on
    >> "slow" computers

    > My theory is that 'working on a slow computer' gives you 'more time to
    > think' ....

    No, it teaches you to efficiently use resources, as "Just throw more CPU
    / RAM at it!" doesn't help you in this scenario.

    --
    Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
    http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

    Rule of Open-Source Programming #37:

    Duplicate effort is inevitable. Live with it.

    Phillip Gawlowski, Apr 19, 2007