SMTP on Windows XP Pro

R. Ian Lee

I'm using the System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail object (.NET 1.1)
to send email from an ASP.NET application. Everything
works fine when I run it from Windows 2000 Server, but
not from WinXP Pro. Is it not possible to send mail
using the SMTP service or XP? Is there a different class
that I should be using? I don't really need to send
email from XP, but since I'm doing my development from XP
it's really slows down debugging to have to comment out
these lines everytime I need to debug.

Thanks!

Ian

R. Ian Lee

I have it installed, but not running. I tried re-
installing it and still no luck. The ASP.NET application
gives the following error:

The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.

Thanks,

Ian

dave wanta

Hi Ian,
Without seeing your code, I'm guessing you didn't set the
SmtpMail.SmtpServer property.

Set this property, even if it is local.

ex:
SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "127.0.0.1";

Let me know if that works.

Cheers!
Dave
www.aspNetEmail.com

Tian Min Huang

Hi Lan,

Please use smarthost.
MailMessage mail = new MailMessage();
mail.From = "(e-mail address removed)";
mail.To = "(e-mail address removed)";
mail.Subject = "subject";
mail.Body = "message!";
mail.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html;
SmtpMail.SmtpServer= "smarthost";
SmtpMail.Send(mail);

SMTPMail does work on XP Pro. We do it all the time. But please pay
attention to smarthost relay, it may cause the email relay. Thanks.

Regards,
HuangTM

msnews.microsoft.com

That partly solves my problem. This solves the problem if the SMTP service
is running, however, if the service is not running I still get an error
stating "The transport failed to connect to the server." Since this is a
development machine and I do not want the emails to actually go anywhere
except the "Pickup" directory I prefer not to have this service running.
This isn't a problem using Windows 2K Server. Is this normal behavior for
XP or am I missing a setting somewhere? Otherwise, how am I supposed to
inspect emails during development without actually sending them?

Thanks!!!

Ian