SMTPMAIL on Windows Server 2003

Kevin Spencer

We just moved an ASP.Net app to a Windows 2003 Server, and the SMTPMail
fails now with the following message:

[COMException (0x80040220): The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.]
System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
String[] namedParameters) +0
System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers,
CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
methodName, Object[] args) +58

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
methodName, Object[] args) +112
System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846
System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150
SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.SendMembershipMailReply(Object iProfile) +945
SATSNET.iMemberRegistration.funcSaveMemberInfo(Object Sender, EventArgs
e) +2109

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

I am guessing that CDOSYS is not part of the server installation? Any
remedies?

--
TIA,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Complex things are made up of
lots of simple things.

Kevin Spencer

Thanks Ray. Yes, the code is fine. It broke when we moved the site from a
Windows 2000 Server to a new Windows 2003 Server. I will check the
permissions, although ASP.Net is running under the SYSTEM account. I did
find CDOSYS.DLL on the machine, and found its' registry entries.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Complex things are made up of
lots of simple things.

Ray Dixon said:
Hi Kevin,

According to these docs, System.Web.Mail should work on Windows Server 2003
just fine.

Have you set the SmtpServer property? Also, I would check the permissions
on the mailroot folder and its subfolders. I found a couple of posts
mentioning that as a problem with the ASPNET account.

--
Ray Dixon - Microsoft MVP
(e-mail address removed)

Kevin Spencer said:
[...]

Ray Dixon [MVP]

Hi Kevin,

According to these docs, System.Web.Mail should work on Windows Server 2003
just fine.

Have you set the SmtpServer property? Also, I would check the permissions
on the mailroot folder and its subfolders. I found a couple of posts
mentioning that as a problem with the ASPNET account.

James J. Foster

FWIW, I have seen the "Could not access 'CDO.Message' object" error before
when the ASPNET user did not have access to the CDO dll.

--
James J. Foster, DotNetCoders
http://www.dotnetcoders.com

Kevin Spencer said:
[...]

Hi Ray,

New piece of info: I can run this from my development (XP Pro) machine (same
LAN) without any problems. So I doubt that it's a permission issue. Any

Kevin Spencer said:
[...]

This app is running under the "SYSTEM" account. Also, I can run this app
from my dev machine (Windows XP Pro) without a hitch. I'm really beginning
to think that it's something about that Windows 2003 OS on that machine. Are
there any OS components you think I need to install that aren't installed?

Thanks again,

Kevin Spencer said:
[...]

We finally figured it out. The error message was confusing. The code didn't
specify an SMTP Server, and the SMTP Server wasn't installed on that
machine. As SMTPMail uses the local server by default, well, you can guess
the rest.

Thanks all,

Ray Dixon said:
[...]

postData)
+33

Jim Cheshire

Kevin,

I checked the ASP.NET source and it looks as though this is likely caused
by the Windows Server 2003 box not being configured for the Mail Server
role. The easiest way to do that is via the Manage Your Server link on the
Start menu. That should resolve the issue.

If you don't want to set that up, make sure that you are setting the
SMTPServer property prior to calling Send.

Jim Cheshire
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
From: "Kevin Spencer" <[email protected]>
Subject: SMTPMAIL on Windows Server 2003
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:15:47 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

Thanks Jim. I hope by now you've seen my message about resolving this issue.

From: "Kevin Spencer" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:15:47 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

[...]

Yes I do. Thanks.