    framework, using Log4J, which will log in a SOA fashion. Has anyone
    had other experience?

    , Feb 23, 2007

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Obviously no one has done alot of SOA based logging before. My
    > searches on the topic have come up empty. After consulting with the
    > professional services branch of a product we're working with, it's
    > decided tghe best approach might be to write our own logging
    > framework, using Log4J, which will log in a SOA fashion. Has anyone
    > had other experience?

    By SOA-based logging do you mean:

    1. Sending log messages to a logging service, where they will be logged
    2. Logging artifacts of an SOA system.
    3. Something else

    Mike Schilling, Feb 23, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > Obviously no one has done alot of SOA based logging before. My
    > searches on the topic have come up empty. After consulting with the
    > professional services branch of a product we're working with, it's
    > decided tghe best approach might be to write our own logging
    > framework, using Log4J, which will log in a SOA fashion. Has anyone
    > had other experience?

    log4j already has a bunch of appenders that log to remote
    servers.

    It has nothing to do with SOA, which is services at a much
    higher level.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Feb 26, 2007

    On Feb 25, 11:38 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Obviously no one has done alot ofSOAbased logging before. My
    > > searches on the topic have come up empty. After consulting with the
    > > professional services branch of a product we're working with, it's
    > > decided tghe best approach might be to write our own logging
    > > framework, using Log4J, which will log in aSOAfashion. Has anyone
    > > had other experience?

    > log4j already has a bunch of appenders that log to remote
    > servers.
    >
    > It has nothing to do withSOA, which is services at a much
    > higher level.
    >
    > Arne

    this is true. log4j is designed primarily to log per the software
    class you
    are in. we're looking for a mechanism which will log per which
    business
    service you are in. similar to a transaction, but not quite.
    one example would be, logging when a particular business operation
    failed, and at which point.

    one thought i had was using log4j to note which *service* i'm
    currently
    in and add this to the appender as logging is done across classes, and
    layers.
    wondered if anyone had any other experience.

    , Apr 26, 2007