Soaptoolkit 3.0 problem after installing IE 7

wojciech.gapinski

Hi,
I have created application in VS 6, completely written in C++ which
uses Microsoft SOAP Toolkit 3.0 to interoperate with C# .NET web
services. Application works as a windows service and on a given time
connects to the web services. I've already deployed this software on
my customer's computers.
Problem occurred after installing the newest IE 7 on each client
Microsoft Windows XP (comes with and Windows Update)

Since then my application lost connection with web services. This is
the error that occurs in application event log:

Soap error: XML Parser failed at linenumber 0, lineposition 0, reason
is: System error: -2146697191.
Soap error: Loading of the WSDL file failed.
Soap error: One of the parameters supplied is invalid..

In the other hand, when I stop the application so it no longer works
as windows service but as a local user (administrator or domain user)
everything is OK.

I my opinion LOCAL SERVICE have no rights to use XML parser after
installing IE 7. Please help.

Wojtek

[...]

After almost three weeks of error - trial search method, we've found
it! It appears that IE 7 is not reverse compatible.... after
installing one registry key is missing, that is way applications which
use MS SOAP Toolkit 3.0 and work as windows service on local account
stop connecting with HTTPS pages / web services.

The missing key:
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Internet Settings] "CertificateRevocation"=dword:00000000

The solution was found by one of our best architects:
(e-mail address removed)