SOCI 2.0 - a database library

Maciej Sobczak

I'm pleased to announce that the new release of the SOCI library is
available for download. The homepage of the project is:

http://soci.sourceforge.net/

The SOCI library is a database-access library that tries to mimic the
syntax known from Embedded SQL, but staying within the standard C++.
The target audience of the SOCI library are those developers, who need
an efficient, but also straightforward and easy to use interface [*].

This new release brings the following enhancements:

1. More extensive support for object-relational mapping.

2. A plug-in architecture for backends, which allows to target various
database engines by simply linking with the chosen backend.
Currently, the following database engines are supported (through their
respective "native" interface):

* Oracle
* PostgreSQL

At this stage of the project, we would like to invite other programmers
to contribute backends for other database servers. Implementing a new
backend is not hard and only requires some expertise in the client API
of the chosen target engine. Backends implemented in terms of the
"native" API are preferred, but we will also welcome contributions based
on more general access layers, like ODBC, ADO, etc.

[*] The <http://soci.sourceforge.net/doc/rationale.html> page contains
answers to typical questions considering the design of the library.

Regards,