SOCI 2.0 - a database library

Discussion in 'C++' started by Maciej Sobczak, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. I'm pleased to announce that the new release of the SOCI library is
    available for download. The homepage of the project is:

    http://soci.sourceforge.net/

    The SOCI library is a database-access library that tries to mimic the
    syntax known from Embedded SQL, but staying within the standard C++.
    The target audience of the SOCI library are those developers, who need
    an efficient, but also straightforward and easy to use interface [*].

    This new release brings the following enhancements:

    1. More extensive support for object-relational mapping.

    2. A plug-in architecture for backends, which allows to target various
    database engines by simply linking with the chosen backend.
    Currently, the following database engines are supported (through their
    respective "native" interface):

    * Oracle
    * PostgreSQL

    At this stage of the project, we would like to invite other programmers
    to contribute backends for other database servers. Implementing a new
    backend is not hard and only requires some expertise in the client API
    of the chosen target engine. Backends implemented in terms of the
    "native" API are preferred, but we will also welcome contributions based
    on more general access layers, like ODBC, ADO, etc.

    [*] The <http://soci.sourceforge.net/doc/rationale.html> page contains
    answers to typical questions considering the design of the library.

    Regards,

    Programming : http://www.msobczak.com/prog/

    Maciej Sobczak, Jan 16, 2006