    Luigi Donatello (un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    (minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia/vaestra-goetaland/smoegen.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > What does "quux" in this example stand for?

    It looks like a username to me. Doesn't stand for anything.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > What does "quux" in this example stand for?
    >

    > RewriteCond %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST}
    > !^-corp\.com$ RewriteCond
    > %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST} !^-corp\.com$
    > RewriteCond %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST}
    > !^-corp\.com$ RewriteRule ^/~quux/only-for-friends/
    >

    > The example is at
    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/rewriteguide.html

    Nothing special, just an ordinary path component of the URL. It is a common
    configuration of the apache webserver to map an URL
    path /~username/some/file to a file in the home directory of the user
    'username', e.g. /home/username/www/some/file - but this detail is not
    really important for the example above (except that you know now that Quux,
    Corp. has an UNIX account on the server with the loginname 'quux'...).
    The ~ has no special meaning for mod_rewrite (at least not as used here).

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > What does "quux" in this example stand for?

    From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (27 SEP 03) [foldoc]:

    quux

    /kwuhks/ [Mythically, from the Latin semi-deponent verb quuxo,
    quuxare, quuxandum iri; noun form variously "quux" (plural
    "quuces", anglicised to "quuxes") and "quuxu" (genitive plural
    is "quuxuum", for four u-letters out of seven in all, using up
    all the "u" letters in Scrabble).] 1. Originally, a
    {metasyntactic variable} like {foo} and {foobar}. Invented by
    {Guy Steele} for precisely this purpose when he was young and
    naive and not yet interacting with the real computing
    community. Many people invent such words; this one seems
    simply to have been lucky enough to have spread a little. In
    an eloquent display of poetic justice, it has returned to the
    originator in the form of a nickname.

    2. See {foo}; however, denotes very little disgust, and is
    uttered mostly for the sake of the sound of it.

    3. {Guy Steele} in his persona as "The Great Quux", which is
    somewhat infamous for light verse and for the "Crunchly"
    cartoons.

    4. In some circles, used as a punning opposite of "crux".
    "Ah, that's the quux of the matter!" implies that the point is
    *not* crucial (compare {tip of the ice-cube}).

    [{Jargon File}]

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 16, 2005
  5. "Benjamin Niemann" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > What does "quux" in this example stand for?
    > >

    > > RewriteCond %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST}
    > > !^-corp\.com$ RewriteCond
    > > %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST} !^-corp\.com$
    > > RewriteCond %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST}
    > > !^-corp\.com$ RewriteRule ^/~quux/only-for-friends/
    > >

    > > The example is at
    > > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/rewriteguide.html
    > >

    > Nothing special, just an ordinary path component of the URL. It is a

    common
    > configuration of the apache webserver to map an URL
    > path /~username/some/file to a file in the home directory of the user
    > 'username', e.g. /home/username/www/some/file - but this detail is not
    > really important for the example above (except that you know now that

    Quux,
    > Corp. has an UNIX account on the server with the loginname 'quux'...).
    > The ~ has no special meaning for mod_rewrite (at least not as used here).

    "@" is normally used for e-mailadresses. Should I identify the user which I
    do not want to access the website on the grounds of his or her e-mailadress?

    --
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 16, 2005

    > "Benjamin Niemann" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > > > What does "quux" in this example stand for?
    > > >

    > > > RewriteCond %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST}
    > > > !^-corp\.com$ RewriteCond
    > > > %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST} !^-corp\.com$
    > > > RewriteCond %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST}
    > > > !^-corp\.com$ RewriteRule

    ^/~quux/only-for-friends/

    "@" is normally used for e-mailadresses. Should I identify the user whom I

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 16, 2005
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Benjamin Niemann" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >> > What does "quux" in this example stand for?
    >> >

    >> > RewriteCond %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST}
    >> > !^-corp\.com$ RewriteCond
    >> > %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST} !^-corp\.com$
    >> > RewriteCond %{REMOTE_IDENT}@%{REMOTE_HOST}
    >> > !^-corp\.com$ RewriteRule ^/~quux/only-for-friends/
    >> >

    >> > The example is at
    >> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/rewriteguide.html
    >> >

    >> Nothing special, just an ordinary path component of the URL. It is a

    > common
    >> configuration of the apache webserver to map an URL
    >> path /~username/some/file to a file in the home directory of the user
    >> 'username', e.g. /home/username/www/some/file - but this detail is not
    >> really important for the example above (except that you know now that

    > Quux,
    >> Corp. has an UNIX account on the server with the loginname 'quux'...).
    >> The ~ has no special meaning for mod_rewrite (at least not as used here).
    >>

    > "@" is normally used for e-mailadresses.

    foo@example in an URI just means 'the user foo on host example'. How this
    information is used, depends on the URI scheme.

    > Should I identify the user which
    > I do not want to access the website on the grounds of his or her
    > e-mailadress?

    When opening a page using an URI like

    http://login@host/path/
    or
    http://login:password@host/path/

    the browser will send the login/password combo (asking for the password if
    necessary) as authentication credentials to the webserver - the server will
    check, if the credentials are correct and will either allow or deny access.

    I'm not really sure, if I can understand what the 'Special Authentication
    Variant' example of the mod_rewrite guide is good for...

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "@" is normally used for e-mailadresses. Should I identify the user whom I
    > do not want to access the website on the grounds of his or her
    > e-mailadress?

    It isn't used for e-mail addresses in this case. @ doesn't need to have
    anything to do with e-mail. It can be used for other things too.

    http:///

    Doesn't say anything about the user's e-mail address -- it just says that
    someone is signed in as "fred" to the website www.example.com.

    If you go to a farmer's market, you will see signs like:

    Bananas @ €3/kg
    Potatoes @ €1,50/kg

    The @ has nothing to do with e-mail, does it?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 17, 2005
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    JDS Guest

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:03:21 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > What does "quux" in this example stand for?

    Jargon File (4.3.1, 29 Jun 2001) [jargon]

    quux /kwuhks/ n. [Mythically, from the Latin semi-deponent verb quuxo,
    quuxare, quuxandum iri; noun form variously `quux' (plural `quuces',
    anglicized to `quuxes') and `quuxu' (genitive plural is `quuxuum', for
    four u-letters out of seven in all, using up all the `u' letters in
    Scrabble).] 1. Originally, a metasyntactic variable like foo and
    foobar. Invented by Guy Steele for precisely this purpose when he was
    young and naive and not yet interacting with the real computing
    community. Many people invent such words; this one seems simply to have
    been lucky enough to have spread a little. In an eloquent display of
    poetic justice, it has returned to the originator in the form of a
    nickname. 2. interj. See foo; however, denotes very little disgust,
    and is uttered mostly for the sake of the sound of it. 3. Guy Steele in
    his persona as `The Great Quux', which is somewhat infamous for light
    verse and for the `Crunchly' cartoons. 4. In some circles, used as a
    punning opposite of `crux'. "Ah, that's the quux of the matter!" implies
    that the point is _not_ crucial (compare tip of the ice-cube). 5.
    quuxy: adj. Of or pertaining to a quux.

    --
    JDS | lid

    JDS, Aug 17, 2005