Spellcheck an application (from below)

Evan McPeters

It is a database application that has a window where the user can write
letters to patients.
That is the area that I want to spellcheck. Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks again.

John

Evan said:
It is a database application that has a window where the user can write
letters to patients.
That is the area that I want to spellcheck. Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks again.

Try
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/117221
http://www.scriptfoundry.com/snake/snakespell/snakespell/

You could use COM if you are on Windows and the users will have MS Word
installed on their system.

There are other ActiveX components available on the web that you can try
if users do not have MS Word installed.

Gary Bishop

John said:

For the spell checking you could use our wrapper for ASpell found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncpythontools.

To get access to the text in your applications text control will be a
trick. Our python tools for using the MS Active Accessibility
interface might be helpful. You can find it at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncassist. You can find some notes on
using it at http://www.cs.unc.edu/~parente/tech/tr01.shtml.

If you can find the "handle" for the window, you should be able to
both read and modify the text therein. pyAA will allow you to explore
the tree of window handles to find it.

The pywin32 at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ also includes
lots of tools for exploring the Windows interface via COM.

What you have is a tricky Windows API problem, not really a Python
problem. Though I believe you can solve it efficiently with Python.

gb