SQL Server Standard edition connection problem

Marty

Just starting to learn this and that could be my problem.
I am using VS 2005, SQL Server Standard
In the server explorer I can see and test my database connection and it
works.
I am trying a sample from ASP.NET 2.0 and I get this error:
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I checked and it is set to Local and Remote (default for SQL 2005
standard).

What am I forgetting?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

There are a couple of things;l

1. In the config tool, make sure you have a network protocol like TCP/IP or
named pipes. By default, some versions ship out with in memory only. Not
good for web apps.

2. If that is on, try turning on SQL Browser. It is mandatory for remote
connnections

If neither help, recheck your connection string. You might be using SSPI and
not validating a domain user (anon access), which will cause a failure.