SSL Basics

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by ChrisN, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. ChrisN

    ChrisN Guest

    Hi there,

    I'm building a new site and have just dived into SSL - I'm totally lost. My
    provider has given me two directories to work with.

    /HTML - My ASP.Net web site (the website's root directory)
    /Secure_HTML - My SSL directory for secure stuff.

    The HTML folder contains my ASP.net application and is organized in the
    following way:

    / - Standard files accessible to anyone
    /members - members section that needs authentication
    /data - data uploaded by the members that can be viewed by anonymous users
    /help - additional help files
    /img - all graphic files

    I've been looking for web tutorials and books at Chapters that explain this
    but I can't find anything and I don't want to buy a book online because I
    can't be sure of the content. This is what I don't understand:

    1. If my web application is running inside of the HTML directory, should
    pages like my login page (which authenticates the /members directory) be
    kept in the Secure_HTML directory or should all of my members section be
    stored there?

    2. If the Secure_HTML directory is not a sub directory of the HTML folder,
    how do I make my site jump between the two? Am I not technically leaving my
    site every time I go to the SSL folder?

    3. Does anyone know of any good books or sites that go into this in some
    detail?

    Thanks for your help.
    Chris.

    ChrisN, Feb 19, 2005