    trust....."

    Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?

    I know of Thawte and verisign

    Andrew Banks, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Toby A Inkster, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Andrew Banks

    Andrew Banks Guest

    > > Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?
    >
    > Trusted by whom?

    The web browser.

    If you visit https://www.console-gamer.co.uk in IE or Firefox you will get a
    warning as the certificate providor isn't reckognised by default.

    Andrew Banks, Apr 20, 2004
  4. On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:06:59 +0000, Andrew Banks wrote:

    >> > Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?

    >> Trusted by whom?

    > The web browser.

    That would be up to those who manufacture the browser, by default, and the
    user. To which browser do you refer?

    --
    Some say the Wired doesn't have political borders like the real world,
    but there are far too many nonsense-spouting anarchists or idiots who

    Owen Jacobson, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Andrew Banks wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >> Andrew Banks wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which company's are trusted by default for issuing SSL certs?

    >> Trusted by whom?

    > The web browser.

    Which web browser?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Andrew Banks

    Andrew Banks Guest

    > That would be up to those who manufacture the browser, by default, and the
    > user. To which browser do you refer?

    The majority of them to be honest. I'm looking for the "most trusted" SSL
    certificate authorities.

    For example, I've never had problems with any browser with certificates
    issued by Thawe or Verisign. I'm using most browsers trust these.

    Can anyone suggest anyothers that are automatically trusted by most
    browsers?

    I can't rely on users adding my certificate themselves so need to use a
    certificate issuing authority that is trusted by most browsers. If a user
    sees any sort of problem with an SSL certificate it will make them question
    the site security and turn customers away.

    Andrew Banks, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Andrew Banks

    Andrew Banks Guest

    > Which web browser?

    Toby, I think my reply to Owen Jacobson might clear this up

    Andrew Banks, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Andrew Banks wrote:

    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Which web browser?

    > Toby, I think my reply to Owen Jacobson might clear this up

    Owen made the same point that I did, just using a lot less sarcasm.

    Which hosts are trusted depends on the web browser being used[1]. Which
    web browser being used depends on who's visiting your site.

    And please do not remove the attribution line from your posts. It's there
    for a reason.

    ________
    [1] amongst other factors -- e.g. the ISP may have included other trusted
    certificates on the installation disc.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Apr 21, 2004