Starting an application from ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by spmm#, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. spmm#

    spmm# Guest

    Hi!

    Can someone explain to me how I can start ms access from a ASP.NET/C# page
    properly?? I've been googling for a day now, but no one seems to experience
    the same trouble as I do.

    I gave the ASPNET user administrator rights and followed these two articles
    from msdn:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555134
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317012

    After doing this I am able to start (e.g.) Notepad like this:
    Process.Start("notepad");

    I see a part of the title bar of the notepad window appearing and notepad
    also appears in the taskbar, but that's it.

    Does anyone know how to solve this??

    Thanks.
    spmm#, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Are you trying to start this program on the server or the client?
    On the client you will not have permissions to do this by default, the user
    would need to adjust their browser settings to allow this.

    On the server you may not have permission in some cases either. You may
    need to use impersonation to solve that. Also, the default ASPNET user
    account doesn't really have a desktop that it owns in which to display any
    kind of a window. Most of the time the server will be running and there
    will be nobody there to see any windows that pop up anyway, so why would you
    need this?

    Without any hassle, you should be able to run simple command line apps that
    require no input as long as you have the necessary permissions.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Jan 17, 2005

  3. If its a MS-Access app that you want to start from the webpage on the clients
    PC or on a networked drive. Can't be done without a lot of user rights hassle.

    What you may want to look at is converting your access app to a smart client.
    Only if this is a Intranet app and you can have the users Pcs updated with
    the framework.

    Deasun

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhc3Vu?=, Jan 17, 2005