State of the art: Tkinter, Tk 8.5, Tix?

Discussion in 'Python' started by excord80, Jan 7, 2009.

  1. excord80

    excord80 Guest

    Does Python work with Tk 8.5? I'm manually installing my own Python
    2.6.1 (separate from my system's Python 2.5.2), and am about to
    install my own Tcl/Tk 8.5 but am unsure how to make them talk to
    eachother. Should I install Tk first? If I put Tk into my home
    directory (under "~/opt" most likely), is there some configure option
    I need to pass Python to tell it where to find my Tk?

    Also, I see that Python comes with Tix. Was Tix supposed to be
    something to make up for what was lacking in Tk prior to its 8.5
    release? Is Tix here to stay, or has it been eclipsed by what comes
    with Tk 8.5 OOTB?
    excord80, Jan 7, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. excord80

    Roger Guest

    On Jan 7, 2:31 pm, excord80 <> wrote:
    > Does Python work with Tk 8.5? I'm manually installing my own Python
    > 2.6.1 (separate from my system's Python 2.5.2), and am about to
    > install my own Tcl/Tk 8.5 but am unsure how to make them talk to
    > eachother. Should I install Tk first? If I put Tk into my home
    > directory (under "~/opt" most likely), is there some configure option
    > I need to pass Python to tell it where to find my Tk?
    >
    > Also, I see that Python comes with Tix. Was Tix supposed to be
    > something to make up for what was lacking in Tk prior to its 8.5
    > release? Is Tix here to stay, or has it been eclipsed by what comes
    > with Tk 8.5 OOTB?


    I'm curious about this too. If no one responds please let us know how
    it goes.
    Roger, Jan 7, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. excord80

    Eric Brunel Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:31:23 +0100, excord80 <> wrote:

    > Does Python work with Tk 8.5? I'm manually installing my own Python
    > 2.6.1 (separate from my system's Python 2.5.2), and am about to
    > install my own Tcl/Tk 8.5 but am unsure how to make them talk to
    > eachother. Should I install Tk first? If I put Tk into my home
    > directory (under "~/opt" most likely), is there some configure option
    > I need to pass Python to tell it where to find my Tk?


    There's some important information missing here: the platform you're on...

    Anyway, you should indeed install tcl/tk first. Then, assuming you're on
    Linux, you should edit the file named Setup in the Modules sub-directory
    of your Python installation, find the lines for the _tkinter module and
    edit them to match your installation. Then, you can build and install
    Python and it should work without problem.

    As for Python 2.6 / tk 8.5 compatibility, it depends on what you want to
    do. Since tk 8.5 still offers the 'regular' tk widgets, these will work in
    Python 2.6. If you want the new widgets (aka ttk), I'm not sure there are
    official wrappers for them in the distro (there weren't any last time I
    checked). If there aren't, you can find the 'pre-official' ones here:
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyttk

    > Also, I see that Python comes with Tix. Was Tix supposed to be
    > something to make up for what was lacking in Tk prior to its 8.5
    > release? Is Tix here to stay, or has it been eclipsed by what comes
    > with Tk 8.5 OOTB?


    I've never worked with Tix myself, but I'd say the widget set offered by
    tk/ttk is now quite complete.

    HTH
    --
    python -c "print ''.join([chr(154 - ord(c)) for c in
    'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17l8(%,5.Z*(93-965$l7+-'])"
    Eric Brunel, Jan 8, 2009
    #3
  4. excord80

    r Guest

    We need TK 8.5's themes. This will bring Tkinter out of the dark ages
    and into the 21st Century! And improve the shine of the Python base
    distro. Python could use a good boost right now!
    r, Jan 10, 2009
    #4
  5. excord80

    excord80 Guest

    On Jan 10, 11:45 am, r <> wrote:
    > We need TK 8.5's themes. This will bring Tkinter out of the dark ages
    > and into the 21st Century! And improve the shine of the Python base
    > distro. Python could use a good boost right now!


    Could someone please explain what Tix provides compared to what the
    new stuff in Tk 8.5 provides? Is there much overlap?
    excord80, Jan 10, 2009
    #5
  6. excord80

    r Guest

    On Jan 10, 3:05 pm, excord80 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 10, 11:45 am, r <> wrote:
    >
    > > We need TK 8.5's themes. This will bring Tkinter out of the dark ages
    > > and into the 21st Century! And improve the shine of the Python base
    > > distro. Python could use a good boost right now!

    >
    > Could someone please explain what Tix provides compared to what the
    > new stuff in Tk 8.5 provides? Is there much overlap?


    TIX is just a set of compound widgets that were not included in the
    base Python Tkinter distro(notebook, label entry, etc... Now, it looks
    like they are standard. The new 8.5 TK includes support for OS
    specific themes, so as to give a more native feel to TK apps, hence
    the 21st century analogy :)
    r, Jan 10, 2009
    #6
  7. excord80

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    excord80 wrote:

    >
    > Could someone please explain what Tix provides compared to what the
    > new stuff in Tk 8.5 provides? Is there much overlap?


    Tix is a compiled Tk extension that adds a good number of widgets to the
    base set, such as a notebook tab, treeview, combobox, and others; Python
    includes a Tix wrapper as part of the standard library. However, it has
    not undergone much development over the past several years, and its
    widgets look very outdated (they have a mid-90s feel to them).

    The themed Tk widgets (ttk) that come with Tk 8.5 add a lot of the same
    things that Tix does, but they do so in a more modern way, hooking into
    platform-specific themes and API's wherever possible (XP, Vista, Mac)
    and updating the generic X11 look as well. As such, they are more
    appropriate for modern development. Tix is more of a legacy toolkit.

    A Python wrapper for ttk can be found here:
    http://code.google.com/p/python-ttk/
    It will be added to the standard library at some point, probably for
    Python 3.1.

    Here are some screenshots:

    http://code.google.com/p/python-ttk/wiki/Screenshots

    HTH,
    Kevin

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin
    http://www.codebykevin.com
    Kevin Walzer, Jan 10, 2009
    #7
  8. excord80

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    excord80 wrote:
    > On Jan 10, 11:45 am, r <> wrote:
    >> We need TK 8.5's themes. This will bring Tkinter out of the dark ages
    >> and into the 21st Century! And improve the shine of the Python base
    >> distro. Python could use a good boost right now!

    >
    > Could someone please explain what Tix provides compared to what the
    > new stuff in Tk 8.5 provides? Is there much overlap?


    And here are some Tix screenshots:

    http://tixlibrary.sourceforge.net/screenshots/index.shtml

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin
    http://www.codebykevin.com
    Kevin Walzer, Jan 10, 2009
    #8
  9. > The themed Tk widgets (ttk) that come with Tk 8.5 add a lot of the
    > same things that Tix does, but they do so in a more modern way,
    > hooking into platform-specific themes and API's wherever possible (XP,
    > Vista, Mac) and updating the generic X11 look as well. As such, they
    > are more appropriate for modern development. Tix is more of a legacy
    > toolkit.


    Interesting... so to summarize, what do I get from Python/TK on *Linux*
    with tkinter beeing dynamically linked to the system tk 8.5.6 ?

    Especially I'd like to know if it will support fontconfig/TTF/antialiased fonts?


    --
    дамјан ( http://softver.org.mk/damjan/ )

    When you do things right, people won't be sure if you did anything at all.
    Дамјан ГеоргиевÑки, Jan 11, 2009
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Wally
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    379
    Charles
    Nov 29, 2005
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    258
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    323
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    267
  5. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    228
Loading...

Share This Page