TK 8.5

Leon

Hello,

First of all, I beg you pardon for my poor english...

You probably know it, but a new version of Tcl/TK has arrived :
http://groups.google.fr/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/747fcc9df3274310/

With TK8.5, I found the look and feel better that in the past :
http://wiki.tcl.tk/13636

It would be great to have the same look with TkInter...

1) Did you know if a future version of Python/Tkinter will use Tk 8.5 ?
And when ?

2) Is it a way to use Tk 8.5 with the present version of Python (2.5) ?

3) Or may be it's possible to already have a similar and good look with
the present version of TK[inter] included in the last version of Python
(2.5.1) ?

Can you give me informations (or links, etc...) about this three
questions ?

Thanx in advance !!!

Leon

marcpenninga

2) Is it a way to use Tk 8.5 with the present version of Python (2.5) ?

Can you give me informations (or links, etc...) about this three
questions ?

These links might help:

http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/UsingTile
http://groups.google.nl/group/comp....ee0ea/a4ac5ea08bf00521?hl=nl#a4ac5ea08bf00521

Caveat: I collected these links, but haven't yet tried the described
techniques...use at yout own risk!

Best regards,
Marc

Christian Heimes

Leon said:
1) Did you know if a future version of Python/Tkinter will use Tk 8.5 ?
And when ?

We are planing to use Tcl/Tk 8.5 for Python 2.6 and 3.0. The topic is
currently being discussed but nothing has been decided yet.
2) Is it a way to use Tk 8.5 with the present version of Python (2.5) ?

No, not yet. It may be possible to back port Tcl Tk 8.5 support from 2.6
to 2.5 once we have finished the migration to 8.5.

Christian

Kevin Walzer

Christian said:
No, not yet. It may be possible to back port Tcl Tk 8.5 support from 2.6
to 2.5 once we have finished the migration to 8.5.

Actually, you can. I'm using a custom-built Python that links to 8.5
with no problem. However, you do have to use some additional modules
(referenced in another post) to get things working properly.

--Kevin

Kevin Walzer

Christian said:
No, not yet. It may be possible to back port Tcl Tk 8.5 support from 2.6
to 2.5 once we have finished the migration to 8.5.

Actually, you can. I'm using a custom-built Python that links to 8.5
with no problem. However, you do have to use some additional modules
(referenced in another post) to get things working properly.

--Kevin

Leon

We are planing to use Tcl/Tk 8.5 for Python 2.6 and 3.0. The topic is
currently being discussed but nothing has been decided yet.

Great news!
I hope you'll decide to use Tcl/Tk 8.5 !
I'm sure I'm not the only one !!!

On this page : http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0361/

We can read : "the initial 2.6 target is for April 2008"

Great !

But I found nothing about Tk 8.5 ?

Leon

Martin v. Löwis

But I found nothing about Tk 8.5 ?

Python is not tied to any specific Tk version; you can use
any Python release with any Tk version, most of the time.

Hence, there is no need to talk about this very much. That
Python "supports" Tk 8.5 is too minor to mention - I think
even Python 2.4 supports Tk 8.5.

Regards,
Martin

Kevin Walzer

Martin said:
Python is not tied to any specific Tk version; you can use
any Python release with any Tk version, most of the time.

Hence, there is no need to talk about this very much. That
Python "supports" Tk 8.5 is too minor to mention - I think
even Python 2.4 supports Tk 8.5.

In terms of building and linking Python to Tk 8.5, this is certainly true.

However, I think most people who ask about Python "supporting" Tk 8.5
are probably asking how easily can the new features in Tk 8.5 be
accessed from Python, particularly the platform-specific themed widgets.
The answer to that question is, "At present, not very easily." There is
currently no support at all in lib-tk for themed widgets, for instance.
The external Tile.py module that I maintain at
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper works well enough, but as
I am not the original author of this module, I cannot really offer it
for inclusion in the core Python distribution. As such, someone will
have to step up and write a new implememtation.

--Kevin

Martin v. Löwis

Hence, there is no need to talk about this very much. That
In terms of building and linking Python to Tk 8.5, this is certainly true.

However, I think most people who ask about Python "supporting" Tk 8.5
are probably asking how easily can the new features in Tk 8.5 be
accessed from Python, particularly the platform-specific themed widgets.

I just found that there is also "middle ground": would most existing
Tkinter applications work when Python was linked with Tk 8.5; in
particular, would IDLE work?

This is not the case for Python 2.5. Tk 8.5 changed the data types
it returns from certain commands, affecting existing code. Likely,
IDLE should work with Tk 8.5 in Python 2.6 and 3.0, but won't work
for Python 2.5.
The answer to that question is, "At present, not very easily." There is
currently no support at all in lib-tk for themed widgets, for instance.
The external Tile.py module that I maintain at
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper works well enough, but as
I am not the original author of this module, I cannot really offer it
for inclusion in the core Python distribution. As such, someone will
have to step up and write a new implememtation.

That is of no concern for me whatsoever. Contributions are welcome.

I know people are jumping up and down because of these themed widgets;
the "I won't do anything actively" goes beyond that, though: even if
existing widgets get new commands, or new widgets are added, then
support for them in Tkinter is only added through user contributions.

If "supports Tk 8.x" means "Tkinter has wrappers for all commands
and options", then Tkinter has no support for any version of Tk,
as a lot of commands remain unwrapped.

Regards,
Martin