Tkinter / Tk 8.5

Scott David Daniels

Michal said:
Today has been released a first beta of Tk 8.5, including a Ttk
(tile) style engine, which makes possible the native look
of widgets on MS platform, without having to install any extension.

Is there a chance it will be included in 2.5.x, 2.6 or 3.0 ?

This is just a guess, but:
The beta: no way for anything.
2.5.x: also very unlikely
2.6: unlikely unless release is _soon_ (first alpha of 2.6 is out)
3.0: much more likely, 3.0 won't be out for some time.

-Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Eric Brunel

This is just a guess, but:
The beta: no way for anything.
2.5.x: also very unlikely
2.6: unlikely unless release is _soon_ (first alpha of 2.6 is out)

It won't be: tcl/tk development is quite slow. There have been several
months between each 5 or 6 alpha release and between the last alpha and
the beta. So don't expect the official release to come soon...
3.0: much more likely, 3.0 won't be out for some time.

This would be my guess too...

Kevin Walzer

Michal said:
Today has been released a first beta of Tk 8.5, including a Ttk
(tile) style engine, which makes possible the native look
of widgets on MS
platform, without having to install any extension.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/11075
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/[email protected]

Is there a chance it will be included in 2.5.x, 2.6 or 3.0 ?

-m.

Did you know that a wrapper for use with Tk 8.4.x is located here?

http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper

This does require a separate installation of the Tile libraries, but
those can be obtained from ActiveState.

I use this wrapper myself on OS X with a commercial application I
develop, and Tile makes a big difference.

(I maintain and update this wrapper at the wiki, but am not the original
author.)

--Kevin

Kevin Walzer

Eric said:
It won't be: tcl/tk development is quite slow. There have been several
months between each 5 or 6 alpha release and between the last alpha and
the beta. So don't expect the official release to come soon...

This would be my guess too...

I'd say that Tk 8.5 will be out before Python 3.0: the beta phase should
be fairly efficient on Tk.