state server and VWD 2005

Adam Sandler

Hello,

I'm using Visual Web Developer 2005 and developing on my local machine
with the development server. I'm getting some errors that are caused
by being "unable to make the session state request to the session state
server."

Someone (who is now unavailable) told me that I need to start the
service explicitly instead of relying upon VWD to start an instance of
the development server when I run a webpage.

Sounds easy enough... except for what is the name of the servce? In
Control Panel | Admin Tools | Services, there's no "session state"
entry. There's an entry for ".NET Runtime Optimization Service
v2.0.50727_X86", that appears to be the closest thing to anything .NET.

But that isn't it... what it the name of the service in the control
panel which corresponds to the state server?

Thanks!

Chris Fulstow

Try starting the state service from the command line, e.g.:

C:\> net start aspnet_state