Stmreaing video

Roedy Green

I wanted to write an entry on streaming video.

What are your options if you want to send a stream of images over the
net to your clients, particular Java-clients?

1. Is there anything you can do similar to BitTorrent perhaps using IP
broadcast to deliver the same stream of images in real time to a large
number of people?

2. What protocols are in common use for this?

3. What server software is a possibility?

4. Are hardware image processing assists still used to prepare the
image for distribution?

5. Are there turnkey services that allow someone to do an Internet
broadcast of some live event?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"For reason that have a lot to do with US Government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction."
~ Paul Wolfowitz 2003-06, explaining how the Bush administration sold the Iraq war to a gullible public.

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Roedy said:
I wanted to write an entry on streaming video.

What are your options if you want to send a stream of images over the
net to your clients, particular Java-clients?

1. Is there anything you can do similar to BitTorrent perhaps using IP
broadcast to deliver the same stream of images in real time to a large
number of people?

2. What protocols are in common use for this?

3. What server software is a possibility?

4. Are hardware image processing assists still used to prepare the
image for distribution?

5. Are there turnkey services that allow someone to do an Internet
broadcast of some live event?

I'll keep an eye on this thread because one of the things on my toDo
list is display the video of an IP cam.

--
Dirk

Roedy Green

I have posted what I have found so far about streaming video at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/streamingvideo.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"For reason that have a lot to do with US Government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction."
~ Paul Wolfowitz 2003-06, explaining how the Bush administration sold the Iraq war to a gullible public.

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Thomas said:
The most heavy-duty commercial broadcasters tend to use Octoshape. It is
a proprietary protocol in which end-users not only receive data, but
also act as sending servers towards other nodes as well; this is similar
to how P2P networks operate. Octoshape has the honour of being the one
and only non-Adobe approved plugin for Adobe Flash Player. CNN.com uses
that system for its Internet live streaming and it showed last week that
it could scale up to, literally, Michael Jacksonesque dimensions.

Of course, it is proprietary, closed, obscure and absolutely not free,
neither as in "free speach" nor as in "free beer".

See:
http://www.octoshape.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octoshape

--Thomas Pornin

Maybe its time for sourceforge to get on the job...

--
Dirk