Storing Images?

Adam J Knight

Hi all,

Just wondering whats everyones prefered method of storing images ?

1) File System
2) Database (SqlServer) (Seems to be easier, but has a performance hit)

Appreciate some insight!!!

Cheers,
Adam

Patrick.O.Ige

Well it depends on the size of images..
I will store them in the database if they won't be that large otherwise File
System.
But there is more flexibilty storing it in the database...
Patrick
** How is the weather in Brisbane?

Mark Rae

Hi all,

Just wondering whats everyones prefered method of storing images ?

1) File System
2) Database (SqlServer) (Seems to be easier, but has a performance hit)

Appreciate some insight!!!

Generally speaking, I don't have a preference. Of course, sometimes there is
no choice i.e. for public websites where the ISP fully supports SQL Server,
but doesn't allow its hosted sites write access to the site...

Kevin Spencer

File System. Database is definitely a *lot* harder, not easier, and has a
performance hit.

Generally, if the images need to be catalogued, you can use a database to
store meta-data about the images. Sometimes, however, you can use a folder
and/or naming scheme to store the necessary meta-data.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Who is Mighty Abbott?
A twin turret scalawag.

RedHair

If store images in file system, is there any limitation of total file number
in a single folder?
Btw, if the web site is a web farm, how to store image to a centralized
file system and retrieve them later?

Thanks.

Kevin Spencer

If store images in file system, is there any limitation of total file
number
in a single folder?

You've got to be kidding. While the answer is, of course, yes, the number is
astronomical. Take a look at your own current file system under Windows, for
example.
Btw, if the web site is a web farm, how to store image to a centralized
file system and retrieve them later?

In a Web Farm, all the servers are part of the same domain. Therefore, you
can use UNC paths to the files, as long as each machine has permission to
access those folders.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Who is Mighty Abbott?
A twin turret scalawag.

Kevin Spencer

I should add that, in fact, a file system *is* a database. However, it is at
a much lower level (direct disk read/write) than a database, and has less
functionality, and therfore, overhead.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Who is Mighty Abbott?
A twin turret scalawag.

RedHair

Thanks.
Is the FileSystem object of classic ASP only able to work to local file
system?
Is there any built-in .NET class for ASP.NET to access remote file system
directly?
or I need to code a customized class and use it via ASP.NET?

Btw, even we have a separate centralized file server for file storage only,
when
the number of directories and files grow up very large, the disk I/O is a
issue, how
to solve this problem? add new file server and distribute all files to all
file servers
equally?

RedHair

Thanks.
Any suggestions for extend the file system when the disk I/O issue coming?
how to add more servers and distribute existing files and directories to
them
equally?