    Appreciate some insight!!!

    Cheers,
    Adam
    Adam J Knight, Feb 2, 2006

  2. Well it depends on the size of images..
    I will store them in the database if they won't be that large otherwise File
    System.
    But there is more flexibilty storing it in the database...
    Patrick
    ** How is the weather in Brisbane?

    Patrick.O.Ige, Feb 2, 2006

  3. Adam J Knight

    Mark Rae Guest

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just wondering whats everyones prefered method of storing images ?
    >
    > 1) File System
    > 2) Database (SqlServer) (Seems to be easier, but has a performance hit)
    >
    > Appreciate some insight!!!

    Generally speaking, I don't have a preference. Of course, sometimes there is
    no choice i.e. for public websites where the ISP fully supports SQL Server,
    but doesn't allow its hosted sites write access to the site...
    Mark Rae, Feb 2, 2006
  4. File System. Database is definitely a *lot* harder, not easier, and has a
    performance hit.

    Generally, if the images need to be catalogued, you can use a database to
    store meta-data about the images. Sometimes, however, you can use a folder
    and/or naming scheme to store the necessary meta-data.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Who is Mighty Abbott?
    A twin turret scalawag.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 2, 2006
  5. Adam J Knight

    RedHair Guest

    If store images in file system, is there any limitation of total file number
    in a single folder?
    Btw, if the web site is a web farm, how to store image to a centralized
    file system and retrieve them later?

    Thanks.

    "Kevin Spencer" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:On7sva$...

    RedHair, Feb 3, 2006
  6. > If store images in file system, is there any limitation of total file
    > number
    > in a single folder?

    You've got to be kidding. While the answer is, of course, yes, the number is
    astronomical. Take a look at your own current file system under Windows, for
    example.

    > Btw, if the web site is a web farm, how to store image to a centralized
    > file system and retrieve them later?

    In a Web Farm, all the servers are part of the same domain. Therefore, you
    can use UNC paths to the files, as long as each machine has permission to
    access those folders.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Who is Mighty Abbott?
    A twin turret scalawag.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 3, 2006
  7. I should add that, in fact, a file system *is* a database. However, it is at
    a much lower level (direct disk read/write) than a database, and has less
    functionality, and therfore, overhead.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Who is Mighty Abbott?
    A twin turret scalawag.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 3, 2006
  8. Adam J Knight

    RedHair Guest

    Thanks.
    Is the FileSystem object of classic ASP only able to work to local file
    system?
    Is there any built-in .NET class for ASP.NET to access remote file system
    directly?
    or I need to code a customized class and use it via ASP.NET?

    Btw, even we have a separate centralized file server for file storage only,
    when
    the number of directories and files grow up very large, the disk I/O is a
    issue, how
    to solve this problem? add new file server and distribute all files to all
    file servers
    equally?

    "Kevin Spencer" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:...

    RedHair, Feb 3, 2006
  9. Adam J Knight

    RedHair Guest

    Thanks.
    Any suggestions for extend the file system when the disk I/O issue coming?
    how to add more servers and distribute existing files and directories to
    them
    equally?

    "Kevin Spencer" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:...

    RedHair, Feb 5, 2006