Strategy to offer files?

Guest

We offer files (self-made programs), the customer needs to be authorized to
be able to download them. We're offering currently over 20 files, each file
is in a certain group.. the customer can be in group 1, group 2, group 3...
and he can only download files, which are in the same group as him.

How to make that just with IIS? OK, forms auth., but you can only lock
certain folders, not files, and you can't do it programmaticaly, just with
web.config.

Any ideas? My initial idea was using sql server (storing the files binary
into sql server).

John Timney \( MVP \)

look at the location tag in web.config. It can be used to restrict access
to individual files from unauthorised access based on named users or groups.

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

"the friendly display name"

Guest

Didn't know that, thanks.

But anyway - isn't there a way to change web.config programmaticaly? From
the web application? Otherwise, for our purpose, it'll be useless.

Trevor Benedict R

If at all you are able to do that, your application would be recycled. That
would mean that the session and applicaton information would be lost.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R

"the friendly display name"