stupid little problem.. someone help please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Some Gei, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. Some Gei

    Some Gei Guest

    Ok I give up.

    Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com

    and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain to me
    why they are there???

    This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this an IE bug?
     
    Some Gei, Sep 30, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Some Gei

    mbstevens Guest

    Some Gei wrote:

    > Ok I give up.
    >
    > Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com
    >
    > and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    > message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain to
    > me why they are there???
    >
    > This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this an IE bug?


    Doesn't show up in Konqueror, and it validates like a champ, both markup and
    CSS.

    <p>Copyright (C) 2004, Sunil Singh</p>

    I notice the last two letters of your name after the copyright notice end
    with 'gh'. If they're somehow getting displayed wrong in Explorer it is
    not likely something *you've* done wrong. Whether you fix it for Explorer
    depends on your attitude toward hacks and workarounds.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com
     
    mbstevens, Sep 30, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Some Gei

    Some Gei Guest

    "mbstevens" <> wrote in message
    news:hQ%6d.14104$...
    > Some Gei wrote:
    >
    >> Ok I give up.
    >>
    >> Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com
    >>
    >> and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    >> message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain to
    >> me why they are there???
    >>
    >> This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this an IE bug?

    >
    > Doesn't show up in Konqueror, and it validates like a champ, both markup
    > and
    > CSS.
    >
    > <p>Copyright (C) 2004, Sunil Singh</p>
    >
    > I notice the last two letters of your name after the copyright notice end
    > with 'gh'. If they're somehow getting displayed wrong in Explorer it is
    > not likely something *you've* done wrong. Whether you fix it for Explorer
    > depends on your attitude toward hacks and workarounds.
    > --
    > mbstevens
    > http://www.mbstevens.com


    Thanks mbstevens..

    Yeah whatever last two characters are in that paragraph end up getting
    repeated on the next line. This bug only shows up in IE. One workaround I
    tried was putting two non-breaking spaces after my name, which does work...
    but I don't really like that solution...
     
    Some Gei, Sep 30, 2004
    #3
  4. Some Gei

    Some Gei Guest

    "Some Gei" <> wrote in message
    news:IU%6d.12499$...
    > "mbstevens" <> wrote in message
    > news:hQ%6d.14104$...
    >> Some Gei wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok I give up.
    >>>
    >>> Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com
    >>>
    >>> and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    >>> message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain to
    >>> me why they are there???
    >>>
    >>> This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this an IE bug?

    >>
    >> Doesn't show up in Konqueror, and it validates like a champ, both markup
    >> and
    >> CSS.
    >>
    >> <p>Copyright (C) 2004, Sunil Singh</p>
    >>
    >> I notice the last two letters of your name after the copyright notice end
    >> with 'gh'. If they're somehow getting displayed wrong in Explorer it is
    >> not likely something *you've* done wrong. Whether you fix it for
    >> Explorer
    >> depends on your attitude toward hacks and workarounds.
    >> --
    >> mbstevens
    >> http://www.mbstevens.com

    >
    > Thanks mbstevens..
    >
    > Yeah whatever last two characters are in that paragraph end up getting
    > repeated on the next line. This bug only shows up in IE. One workaround I
    > tried was putting two non-breaking spaces after my name, which does
    > work... but I don't really like that solution...
    >
    >


    to build on this.... i never use to be one of those anti-IE people... but I
    feel like I am starting to become one...
     
    Some Gei, Sep 30, 2004
    #4
  5. Some Gei

    mbstevens Guest

    Some Gei wrote:

    > "Some Gei" <> wrote in message
    > news:IU%6d.12499$...
    >> "mbstevens" <> wrote in message
    >> news:hQ%6d.14104$...
    >>> Some Gei wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Ok I give up.
    >>>>
    >>>> Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com
    >>>>
    >>>> and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    >>>> message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain
    >>>> to me why they are there???
    >>>>
    >>>> This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this an IE bug?
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't show up in Konqueror, and it validates like a champ, both markup
    >>> and
    >>> CSS.
    >>>
    >>> <p>Copyright (C) 2004, Sunil Singh</p>
    >>>
    >>> I notice the last two letters of your name after the copyright notice
    >>> end
    >>> with 'gh'. If they're somehow getting displayed wrong in Explorer it
    >>> is
    >>> not likely something *you've* done wrong. Whether you fix it for
    >>> Explorer
    >>> depends on your attitude toward hacks and workarounds.
    >>> --
    >>> mbstevens
    >>> http://www.mbstevens.com

    >>
    >> Thanks mbstevens..
    >>
    >> Yeah whatever last two characters are in that paragraph end up getting
    >> repeated on the next line. This bug only shows up in IE. One workaround I
    >> tried was putting two non-breaking spaces after my name, which does
    >> work... but I don't really like that solution...
    >>
    >>

    >
    > to build on this.... i never use to be one of those anti-IE people... but
    > I feel like I am starting to become one...
    >
    >

    I could live with those little display problems in Explorer. But once last
    year I went over to my Windows partition and online with Explorer for a few
    minutes and got a virus that made my machine reboot whenever I went online
    again. I fixed the virus, but made a resolution never to let IE or XP play
    on the net again. It's like letting a very attractive and stupid dog play
    in the street. It'll either get run over or stolen.

    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com
     
    mbstevens, Sep 30, 2004
    #5
  6. Some Gei

    mscir Guest

    Some Gei wrote:
    > Ok I give up.
    >
    > Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com
    >
    > and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    > message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain to me
    > why they are there???
    >
    > This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this an IE bug?


    Try removing this comment, this worked on my IE6:

    <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Main.region" -->

    and just a note: you reference the css file twice in the head section,
    and you might want to consolidate the #footer css for readability.

    Mike
     
    mscir, Sep 30, 2004
    #6
  7. Some Gei

    mscir Guest

    Some Gei wrote:

    > Ok I give up. Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com
    > and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    > message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain to me
    > why they are there??? This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this an IE bug?


    Try removing this comment, this worked on my IE6:

    <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Main.region" -->

    note: you reference the css file twice in the head section.

    Mike
     
    mscir, Oct 1, 2004
    #7
  8. Some Gei

    Some Gei Guest

    "mscir" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Some Gei wrote:
    >
    >> Ok I give up. Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com
    >> and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    >> message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain to
    >> me why they are there??? This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this
    >> an IE bug?

    >
    > Try removing this comment, this worked on my IE6:
    >
    > <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="Main.region" -->
    >
    > note: you reference the css file twice in the head section.
    >
    > Mike


    Thanks, I fixed the css references.

    I can't really remove that comment because Dreamweaver puts them in
    automatically to manage templates.

    I gave up and just put two non-breaking spaces after the last paragraph,
    that way at least IE only repeats two blank spaces.
     
    Some Gei, Oct 1, 2004
    #8
  9. Some Gei

    mbstevens Guest

    Some Gei wrote:

    > I can't really remove that comment because Dreamweaver puts them in
    > automatically to manage templates.


    <chuckle><snarf>
    There was a recent thread about dreamweaver vs hand coding wherein
    I wish your problem had been available for all to see. Technically, this is
    IE's fault, but if you had been doing hand coding, not only would you be
    able to remove the comment if you wanted to -- it would never have been put
    into the doc the first place to entertain/frustrate all these good people.
     
    mbstevens, Oct 1, 2004
    #9
  10. Some Gei

    mscir Guest

    Some Gei wrote:

    <snip>

    > I can't really remove that comment because Dreamweaver puts them in
    > automatically to manage templates.


    Use a simple text editor like notepad to clean things up before
    publishing the site?
     
    mscir, Oct 1, 2004
    #10
  11. Some Gei

    Jim Higson Guest

    Some Gei wrote:

    > Ok I give up.
    >
    > Someone please take a look at www.waggr.com
    >
    > and scroll down to the very bottom. Notice how underneat the copyright
    > message there are two letters... "gh"... could someone please explain to
    > me why they are there???
    >
    > This only appears in ie for some reason. Is this an IE bug?


    Just a note about the site. When you say "Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox." -
    why FireFox? It'd render just the same in normal Mozilla, since it's the
    same renderer.

    And then there are other standards complient renderers like KHTML (which
    Konqueror and Safari use) which render the pages just as well.

    Maybe "Best viewed not in IE" is better :)
     
    Jim Higson, Oct 1, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brandon McCombs
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    534
    Richard Wheeldon
    Aug 28, 2006
  2. Replies:
    25
    Views:
    830
  3. ThaDoctor
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    409
    Alan Woodland
    Sep 28, 2007
  4. shapper
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    358
    shapper
    Dec 18, 2007
  5. rincewind

    stupid, STUPID question!

    rincewind, Apr 19, 2009, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    1,055
Loading...

Share This Page