    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    www.jimscott.co.uk

    Jim S, Oct 28, 2013

  2. Jim S wrote:
    > I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
    > me.
    > My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
    > directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
    > because it's free as part of my package.
    > Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
    > which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?

    What do you mean by subsite? You mean such as subdomain, foo.example.com?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 28, 2013

  3. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:22:40 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
    >> me.
    >> My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
    >> directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
    >> because it's free as part of my package.
    >> Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
    >> which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?
    >>

    > What do you mean by subsite? You mean such as subdomain, foo.example.com?

    To tell you the truth I'm not altogether sure, hence the question
    I quote from the Microsoft site servicing Expression 4 - which offers the
    option to convert a FOLDER to a SUBSITE:

    A site can contain one or more subsites. A subsite is a site that is nested
    inside another site. A site that contains subsites is called a top-level
    site. If you think of a site as a directory containing a set of folders, a
    subsite is a subfolder containing a stand-alone site.

    Subsites have independent administration, authoring, and browsing
    permissions. Therefore, you can display restricted information or
    information that is pertinent to only one group of site visitors on a
    subsite.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Oct 28, 2013
  4. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:20:08 -0700, Ed Jay wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:

    >>> What do you mean by subsite? You mean such as subdomain, foo.example.com?

    >>To tell you the truth I'm not altogether sure, hence the question
    >>I quote from the Microsoft site servicing Expression 4 - which offers the
    >>option to convert a FOLDER to a SUBSITE:
    >>
    >>A site can contain one or more subsites. A subsite is a site that is nested
    >>inside another site. A site that contains subsites is called a top-level
    >>site. If you think of a site as a directory containing a set of folders, a
    >>subsite is a subfolder containing a stand-alone site.
    >>
    >>Subsites have independent administration, authoring, and browsing
    >>permissions. Therefore, you can display restricted information or
    >>information that is pertinent to only one group of site visitors on a
    >>subsite.

    > Subdomain is what you want.

    That leaves me just as ignorant as I was before.
    Is it the same as subsite as this is the only option on Expression4?
    If it is something different the can you explain it or do I just Google?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Oct 28, 2013
  5. Jim S wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:20:08 -0700, Ed Jay wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:

    >> Subdomain is what you want.

    The OP already has an own domain for the subfolder--why should he want a
    subdomain.

    > That leaves me just as ignorant as I was before.
    > Is it the same as subsite as this is the only option on Expression4?
    > If it is something different the can you explain it or do I just Google?

    You may consider asking in an Expression4 related support group or forum.

    --
    Christoph M. Becker

    Christoph Michael Becker, Oct 28, 2013
  6. Christoph Michael Becker wrote:
    > Jim S wrote:

    >>> Subdomain is what you want.

    Subdomain sounds like what your are referring to, but if bellringers has
    its own domain I would need no use to make it a subdomain unless

    A) You want to stop paying for the bellringers domain name
    B) Want to show an association of bellringers to your domain.
    C) Don't mind bellringers.jimscott.co.uk

    I think you are confusing physical aspects of hosting with domains. You
    can host several websites with separate domains from one hosting plan.

    www.example1.com with document root /server/user_account/site1
    www.example2.com with document root /server/user_account/site2
    www.example3.com with document root /server/user_account/site3

    > The OP already has an own domain for the subfolder--why should he want a
    > subdomain.

    Damn Microsoft, always with their Micro-speak version of terms instead
    of using the standard term, just like their programming products <shudder>

    >> That leaves me just as ignorant as I was before.
    >> Is it the same as subsite as this is the only option on Expression4?
    >> If it is something different the can you explain it or do I just Google?

    > You may consider asking in an Expression4 related support group or forum.

    Agreed

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 28, 2013
  7. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:43:59 -0600, Hot-Text wrote:

    > "Jim S" <> wrote in message news:2ipqhg7w0aw8$...
    >> I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
    >> me.
    >> My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
    >> directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
    >> because it's free as part of my package.
    >> Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder

    > At website no
    > 'all things bells'
    > But I see Christ Church Ringers
    > it's ok converting that folder
    >
    >> which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?
    >> www.jimscott.co.uk

    > Send me to
    > www.jamescott.webspace.virginmedia.com
    >
    > Subdomain of
    > Level one virginmedia.com < your IP
    > Level Two is webspace < Free Space
    > Level Three is jamescott < Client
    >
    > Broadband and Internet : For Webspace Help
    >
    > <
    > http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...TION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=null >

    Thanks for all the replies, but I suspect that subsite and subdomain are
    not the same thing.
    I forgot that there is an expression group. I'm off to post my original
    question there.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Oct 28, 2013
  8. Jim S

    meagain Guest

    Jim S wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:43:59 -0600, Hot-Text wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim S" <> wrote in message news:2ipqhg7w0aw8$...
    >>> I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
    >>> me.
    >>> My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
    >>> directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
    >>> because it's free as part of my package.
    >>> Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder

    >> At website no
    >> 'all things bells'
    >> But I see Christ Church Ringers
    >> it's ok converting that folder
    >>
    >>> which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?
    >>> www.jimscott.co.uk

    >> Send me to
    >> www.jamescott.webspace.virginmedia.com
    >>
    >> Subdomain of
    >> Level one virginmedia.com < your IP
    >> Level Two is webspace < Free Space
    >> Level Three is jamescott < Client
    >>
    >> Broadband and Internet : For Webspace Help
    >>
    >> <
    >> http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...TION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=null >

    > Thanks for all the replies, but I suspect that subsite and subdomain are
    > not the same thing.
    > I forgot that there is an expression group. I'm off to post my original
    > question there.

    There is a file called ".htaccess" that can be placed in each sub-directory to
    control access privileges et cetera. In this way you can create "subsites".
    [I'm no expert, so I can't explain further!]

    meagain, Oct 28, 2013
  9. On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:25:29 +0000, Jim S wrote:

    > Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
    > which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?

    Jim

    "subsite" does not seem to be a commonly used and understood term with a
    generally accepted meaning. What context is it being used in? By which I
    mean what hosting service, provider, web developer, software, book or
    salesman is using the term "subsite" to you?

    --
    Denis McMahon,

    Denis McMahon, Oct 28, 2013
  10. Jim S

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:25:29 +0000, Jim S wrote:

    > I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
    > me.
    > My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
    > directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
    > because it's free as part of my package.
    > Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
    > which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?

    What you're talking about deals with domain names.
    for instance, I have 3 domains all hosted on one service.
    I have a master account which is my number one domain.
    When I want to post something to one of those domains I use an ftp client.
    The diectory lists each domain as a folder.

    If you had what is a called a "reseller" account, then each domain would be
    accessed directly through its own ftp system.

    Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.
    The server directs the browser to display as auch.
    while your ftp client would simply show it as a folder.

    richard, Oct 30, 2013
  11. Jim S

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 00:13:03 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >What you're talking about deals with domain names.
    >for instance, I have 3 domains all hosted on one service.
    >I have a master account which is my number one domain.
    >When I want to post something to one of those domains I use an ftp client.
    >The diectory lists each domain as a folder.

    Maybe that's how YOUR provider does it. Doesn't mean that's the same
    everywhere.

    >If you had what is a called a "reseller" account, then each domain would be
    >accessed directly through its own ftp system.

    Sounds like you don't know what a 'reseller' account is.

    >Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.

    Bullshit.

    Let's say you have a domain - example.com .
    ftp.example.com can be your ftp server, with the IP 1.2.3.4 . Let's
    say you have a computer at your house, you can have your home router
    be home.example.com, with an IP 4.5.6.7 . And let's say you have a
    server in your office you run mail from, mail.example.com with an IP
    of 7.8.9.10. None of these are 'folders within that domain.'

    >The server directs the browser to display as auch.

    No, the browser directs the server of what to display.

    Perhaps it's best you not try to explain something you don't know, huh
    bullis?

    Evan Platt, Oct 30, 2013
  12. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 00:13:03 -0400, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> What you're talking about deals with domain names.
    >> for instance, I have 3 domains all hosted on one service.
    >> I have a master account which is my number one domain.
    >> When I want to post something to one of those domains I use an ftp client.
    >> The diectory lists each domain as a folder.

    > Maybe that's how YOUR provider does it. Doesn't mean that's the same
    > everywhere.
    >
    >> If you had what is a called a "reseller" account, then each domain would be
    >> accessed directly through its own ftp system.

    > Sounds like you don't know what a 'reseller' account is.
    >
    >> Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.

    > Bullshit.
    >
    > Let's say you have a domain - example.com .
    > ftp.example.com can be your ftp server, with the IP 1.2.3.4 . Let's
    > say you have a computer at your house, you can have your home router
    > be home.example.com, with an IP 4.5.6.7 . And let's say you have a
    > server in your office you run mail from, mail.example.com with an IP
    > of 7.8.9.10. None of these are 'folders within that domain.'

    In fact the same domain can have parts served from different directors
    that are not subdirs of the domains's documant root, or even on a
    different physical machines/

    <VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName example.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite

    # CGI located physically on another path
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
    <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">

    # Images also elsewhere
    Alias /images/ "/home/someusers/pictures"

    # videos from a different server

    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^/videos/(.+) http://videoserver.com/vids/$1 [R,L]

    The website's routing does not have to be, often is not, bound to the
    filesystem's path

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 30, 2013
  13. Jim S

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:43:40 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 00:13:03 -0400, richard <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What you're talking about deals with domain names.
    >>> for instance, I have 3 domains all hosted on one service.
    >>> I have a master account which is my number one domain.
    >>> When I want to post something to one of those domains I use an ftp client.
    >>> The diectory lists each domain as a folder.

    >> Maybe that's how YOUR provider does it. Doesn't mean that's the same
    >> everywhere.
    >>
    >>> If you had what is a called a "reseller" account, then each domain would be
    >>> accessed directly through its own ftp system.

    >> Sounds like you don't know what a 'reseller' account is.
    >>
    >>> Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.

    >> Bullshit.
    >>
    >> Let's say you have a domain - example.com .
    >> ftp.example.com can be your ftp server, with the IP 1.2.3.4 . Let's
    >> say you have a computer at your house, you can have your home router
    >> be home.example.com, with an IP 4.5.6.7 . And let's say you have a
    >> server in your office you run mail from, mail.example.com with an IP
    >> of 7.8.9.10. None of these are 'folders within that domain.'
    >>

    > In fact the same domain can have parts served from different directors
    > that are not subdirs of the domains's documant root, or even on a
    > different physical machines/
    >
    > <VirtualHost *:80>
    > ServerName example.com
    > DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite
    >
    > # CGI located physically on another path
    > ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
    > <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
    >
    > # Images also elsewhere
    > Alias /images/ "/home/someusers/pictures"
    >
    > # videos from a different server
    >
    > RewriteEngine on
    > RewriteRule ^/videos/(.+) http://videoserver.com/vids/$1 [R,L]
    >

    > The website's routing does not have to be, often is not, bound to the
    > filesystem's path

    I was merely deffining what the OP was wanting to know about.
    Servers can be directed to store information in various ways.
    It all depends on the host.

    richard, Oct 30, 2013
  14. Jim S

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 22:36:15 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 00:13:03 -0400, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What you're talking about deals with domain names.
    >>for instance, I have 3 domains all hosted on one service.
    >>I have a master account which is my number one domain.
    >>When I want to post something to one of those domains I use an ftp client.
    >>The diectory lists each domain as a folder.

    > Maybe that's how YOUR provider does it. Doesn't mean that's the same
    > everywhere.
    >
    >>If you had what is a called a "reseller" account, then each domain would be
    >>accessed directly through its own ftp system.

    > Sounds like you don't know what a 'reseller' account is.
    >
    >>Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.

    > Bullshit.
    >
    > Let's say you have a domain - example.com .
    > ftp.example.com can be your ftp server, with the IP 1.2.3.4 . Let's
    > say you have a computer at your house, you can have your home router
    > be home.example.com, with an IP 4.5.6.7 . And let's say you have a
    > server in your office you run mail from, mail.example.com with an IP
    > of 7.8.9.10. None of these are 'folders within that domain.'
    >
    >>The server directs the browser to display as auch.

    > No, the browser directs the server of what to display.
    >
    > Perhaps it's best you not try to explain something you don't know, huh
    > bullis?

    Yes evan I do know what a "reseller" account is.
    I had one for a couple of years.

    richard, Oct 30, 2013
  15. On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:54:03 -0400, richard wrote:

    > I was merely deffining what the OP was wanting to know about.
    > Servers can be directed to store information in various ways.
    > It all depends on the host.

    No you weren't. You don't have the faintest idea that the OP wants to
    know about yet. You're making assumptions based on your understanding of
    the OPs post, which in turn rests upon your own flawed worldview of how
    "the web" works, and then you're spouting your understanding of the OPs
    requirements based on your worldview and assumptions.

    --
    Denis McMahon,

    Denis McMahon, Oct 30, 2013
  16. Jim S

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > Subodmains are always just folders within that domain.
    > The server directs the browser to display as auch.
    > while your ftp client would simply show it as a folder.

    Unless you have the subdomain as a bookmark in your FTP program; then,
    if set up properly, you go straight to a display of the folder's
    content.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 30, 2013
  17. Jim S

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:55:40 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Yes evan I do know what a "reseller" account is.
    >I had one for a couple of years.

    No, you obviously don't.

    Nor do you know what a subdomain is.

    Evan Platt, Oct 31, 2013
  18. Jim S

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >I was merely deffining what the OP was wanting to know about.

    No, you made a blatant incorrect statement and touted it as fact.

    >Servers can be directed to store information in various ways.
    >It all depends on the host.

    No, it all depends on the server and the software.

    Evan Platt, Oct 31, 2013
  19. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:22:40 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
    >> me.
    >> My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
    >> directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
    >> because it's free as part of my package.
    >> Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
    >> which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?
    >>

    > What do you mean by subsite? You mean such as subdomain, foo.example.com?

    FYI
    I've done it and can see no difference except that when I list the folders
    in windows, the bells folder/subsite has a blue dot at the bottom of the
    yellow icon.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Oct 31, 2013
  20. Jim S wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:22:40 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:
    >>> I'm not sure whether this is the group to ask, but I'm sure you will tell
    >>> me.
    >>> My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
    >>> directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
    >>> because it's free as part of my package.
    >>> Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
    >>> which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?
    >>>

    >> What do you mean by subsite? You mean such as subdomain, foo.example.com?

    > FYI
    > I've done it and can see no difference except that when I list the folders
    > in windows, the bells folder/subsite has a blue dot at the bottom of the
    > yellow icon.

    Then is must be some "Microsoft" thing with no relation to web,
    webservers, and shall I say reality?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan