Suggested Graphics Programs for use with VS

Guest

Hello -

I have developed the world's ugliest website -- functions well, but it
leaves a lot to be desired aesthetically.

What are the recommended web graphics programs to integrate with Visual
Studio projects? I don't want to just go out and buy something without
knowing it works well with VS.

Also, how would you integrate it? Just copy and paste stuff?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

clintonG

Microsoft has several visual editing tools in beta that can generate UI
elements but these tools are for future releases of Vista and so on. There's
really nothing available now in the context I think you are asking.

I've used PaintShop Pro (PSP) for years myself. It is inexpensive, generally
considered easy to use, and rivals the over-priced PhotoShop. Use PSP for
screen captures of various elements from other sites and paste up various
'comps' (compositions) as reference works. I also recommend you use a
reference book such as "Designer's Guide To Color 2" as it is an excellent
resource for color combinations you can recreate using PSP.

Some of the basic techniques designer's use to make page elements distintive
are 'over-lays' and 'juxtapositions' which is artsy-fartsy talk you may be
able to understand simply by observing the use of these techniques at my
current homepage noting I had to beat myself up with CSS to get the effect
without turning the page into an over-weight slow loading sleeper. I'm also
still using multiple stylesheets because IE has been crippleware and I
haven't mastered the dozen and more CSS hacks IE requires to build
'standards compliant' GUIs.

Get a grip on color, page layout, and a couple of artsy-fartsy techniques
and you're all set for a clean page with distinctive design elements but
remember to go easy on the eye shadow ;-)

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1]
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009WDTIE/104-9118257-0723165?v=glance

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I've used PaintShop Pro (PSP) for years

That's a good choice.

I use Snagit :

http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp

It does everything I need to do.

PhotoShop is overkill for most situations but
for specialized requirements, it can't be beat.

Its learning curve is quite stiff, though.

Sandy said:
Hello -

I have developed the world's ugliest website -- functions well, but it
leaves a lot to be desired aesthetically.

What are the recommended web graphics programs to integrate with Visual
Studio projects? I don't want to just go out and buy something without
knowing it works well with VS.

Also, how would you integrate it? Just copy and paste stuff?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Mr Newbie

PSP is exceptionally good.

However, when I read this post, I thought the OP 'May' be talking about
general presentation rather than just the graphics themselves, such as that
made easier by using packages like Front Page or Dreamweaver etc.

On that subject, I do know two professional designers ( ASP.NET ) who use
third parties to create their design and then back-engineer ( or add
accurately ) the coding to fit the ASP.NET model.

This way, they dont have the less than intuative VS interface for designing
web sites but have the benefit of all the managability features already
built in to Front Page for example.

This can present difficulties in itself and you really have to know what
your doing, but it's how some people work.

It would be nice if one day Front Page could be absorbed into Visual Studio
( At least all the good bits )

;-)

Regards - Mr N

re:

Sandy said:
Hello -

I have developed the world's ugliest website -- functions well, but it
leaves a lot to be desired aesthetically.

What are the recommended web graphics programs to integrate with Visual
Studio projects? I don't want to just go out and buy something without
knowing it works well with VS.

Also, how would you integrate it? Just copy and paste stuff?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Mr Newbie

Your comments about Colour are both interesting and incisive.

I think teaching Software Engineers to appreciate Colour may be more
difficult than teaching artists to design web sites. Logical thinkers
rarely make great artists in my humble opinion (get ready for the
flames!!!), although I am sure there are exceptions to the rule.

Marketing departments also have their own interesting take on use of
colours; apparently colours signify things to people. For example, the Roman
Purple/Blue promotes a feeling of reliability, depth and maturity.

All good stuff as they say !

Cheers - Mr N. . . .