Summary of C++ (ANSI/ISO) standards

in_qanda

I was hoping someone would provide me with a list of C++ standards.
As an example I THINK the following is correct for C ...

K&R1 The first 'de facto' standard
C89 ANSI X3.159-1989
Based on K&R1, then K&R2 was based on C89
C90 ISO/IEC 9899:1990
The ISO adoption of C89
C95 C90 + TC1 + TC2 + AMD1
C99 ISO/IEC 9899:1999
The current standard
TC1 is available

So, would anyone be able to provide a similar list for C++?

Ioannis Vranos

in_qanda said:
I was hoping someone would provide me with a list of C++ standards.
As an example I THINK the following is correct for C ...

K&R1 The first 'de facto' standard
C89 ANSI X3.159-1989
Based on K&R1, then K&R2 was based on C89
C90 ISO/IEC 9899:1990
The ISO adoption of C89
C95 C90 + TC1 + TC2 + AMD1
C99 ISO/IEC 9899:1999
The current standard
TC1 is available

So, would anyone be able to provide a similar list for C++?

TC++PL 1 and 2 / ARM: Books of reference, pre-standard era.

C++98: 14882:1998

C++2003: 14882:2003, Technical Corrigendum 1.

Ron Natalie

in_qanda said:
I was hoping someone would provide me with a list of C++ standards.
As an example I THINK the following is correct for C ...

K&R1 The first 'de facto' standard

Actually, the first was the C Reference Manual. A document
that existed prior to the publication of K&R and appears as the
last chapter of K&R1.
C89 ANSI X3.159-1989
Based on K&R1, then K&R2 was based on C89

I dispute both haves of the final statement. By the time the
C standardization process had come around, K&R was far obsolete.
Many changes had already occurred. Many of us had to deal with
various language varients for major compiler updates: phototype
setter version, Version 7.

Actually much of the standards work dealt not with the core language
but the library, which wasn't even really addressed in K&R at all.

When the authors went to revise K&R2, they attempted to bring it
in line with what was emerging as the standard (but the standard
wasn't ready so there are differences).

So, would anyone be able to provide a similar list for C++?

The Annotated Reference Manual was sort of the official pre-standard document.
CD2 was sort of the "prestandard" heads up that most people got (because it
was very close to the standard and freely obtainable over the net).

The 1999 version of the ISO standard.
The 2003 "TC1" additions.