Sun Java products pricelist

feedscrn

Hi All,

I have been looking around in the Sun website and found two
interesting products:

Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

Sun NetBeans at http://www.netbeans.org/

------------------

Is there a pricing site/page for the above? I can't seem to
find prices for these products. I also cannot seem to find any postings
saying that they are free....

Help.

Thank You, Feedscrn
| The screen is hungry, feed it! |

Juha Laiho

feedscrn said:
I have been looking around in the Sun website and found two
interesting products:

Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

Sun NetBeans at http://www.netbeans.org/

------------------

Is there a pricing site/page for the above? I can't seem to
find prices for these products. I also cannot seem to find any postings
saying that they are free....

Go through the download process, and read the license documents.
If you find the license terms acceptable (many do), then you can
use the products. Note that Sun has lately also released some other
Java developer tools for free (under certain conditions):

http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/free/

Bjorn Abelli

I have been looking around in the Sun website and found two
interesting products:

Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

Sun NetBeans at http://www.netbeans.org/

------------------

Is there a pricing site/page for the above? I can't seem to
find prices for these products. I also cannot seem to find any postings
saying that they are free....

Well, you have one now.

They're free!

Though there are "some" restrictions on *re-distribution* of parts of them,
which *should* be mentioned in the attached Licence Agreement.

// Bjorn A

feedscrn

Thank you for the information. Just to confirm- For these two
products:

Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE) at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

Sun NetBeans at http://www.netbeans.org/

........I would be more comfortable if I saw this on a Sun web page
somewhere, if possible. Any further help would be much appreciated.

Feedscrn

----> The screen is hungry, feed it! <----

Luc The Perverse

feedscrn said:
Thank you for the information. Just to confirm- For these two
products:

Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE) at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

Sun NetBeans at http://www.netbeans.org/

.......I would be more comfortable if I saw this on a Sun web page
somewhere, if possible. Any further help would be much appreciated.

Just go to the sun website, download them, read the liscence if it makes you
feel better, and then start using them.

There are many Java programmers in this forum. If there were some caveat,
it would have been mentioned

Benji

feedscrn said:
Thank you for the information. Just to confirm- For these two
products:
Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE) at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp
.......I would be more comfortable if I saw this on a Sun web page
somewhere, if possible. Any further help would be much appreciated.

http://java.sun.com *is* the Sun webpage. It's a subdomain.

When you download java, you have the option to download netbeans with it.
Not only is netbeans free, the source is also free. (You can download the
source, compile it yourself, edit it if you want, etc.)

Trust me - if they weren't free, you wouldn't be able to click "download"
from their website and download it without any mention of how to buy it.

Bryce

Thank you for the information. Just to confirm- For these two
products:

Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE) at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

Sun NetBeans at http://www.netbeans.org/

.......I would be more comfortable if I saw this on a Sun web page
somewhere, if possible. Any further help would be much appreciated.

How about this then:

from: http://java.com/en/download/license.jsp

Software Internal Use and Development License Grant. Subject to the
terms and conditions of this Agreement and restrictions and exceptions
set forth in the Software "README" file, including, but not limited to
the Java Technology Restrictions of these Supplemental Terms, Sun
grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license without
fees to reproduce internally and use internally the Software complete
and unmodified for the purpose of designing, developing, and testing
your Programs.

and a little further on:

Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license
without fees to reproduce and distribute the Software, provided that
(i) you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only
bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your
Programs,