System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved

Jeremy Ames

This is driving me crazy!!!! I started working on an application in C# for
ASP.Net and realized that I needed a web service. I created the web service
on my local system, tested it, then deployed it to the production server. I
then added it as a web reference to my C# application and tested the
reference and everything worked fine. I am on day three of trying to get it
to work now that I have deployed the entire application to the produciton
system. The error message that I am getting is:

System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The remote
name could not be resolved.

Please help me!

Jeremy Ames

Alright! I have finally found the answer to my problem. This is pretty
obscure though. The problem was not in the code anywhere. The problem was
that we had created an alias for the server in our DNS table. The system
that we are running our intranet site on did not recognize the alias (ie. I
could not ping the alias from that server), so I created an entry for the
alias in the LMHOSTS.SAM file and ran an import. At that point I was able to
ping the alias, and it resolved my issue with the web service.