System.OutOfMemory and System.Web.HttpException

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by shil, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. shil

    shil Guest

    Hi all, not sure if I'm posting in the right group.

    I'm having a strange issue with my website. At our company we have a
    load balanced servers. One server is working fine for all the web
    pages but on the other server two of the web pages are throughing the
    following exceptions. The source code is an exact copy on both. I
    have
    even compared the IIS settings on both servers, which are even. Can
    any one help me with this?

    Error on one page:
    --------------------------------
    The state information is invalid for this page and might be
    corrupted.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The state information is
    invalid for this page and might be corrupted.

    Error on the other page:
    --------------------------------
    Server error in '[website]' Application.
    Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

    Exception Details: System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type
    'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
    shil, Jun 4, 2009

  2. shil

    Joy Guest

    Hi Shil,

    You reported 2 problems:

    1. Corrupt State info for a Web Page.
    2. Out Of Memory Exception

    Resolution for "Corrupt State info":

    It seems the Machine Keys of ALL Server machines do not match. For more on
    this go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/323744

    Resolution for "Out of Memory":

    This is very tricky to debug and for this i will need more info. Can you
    please check the system log of the machine and send me the detailed error
    report.

    Hope this helps.

    regards,
    Joy

    Joy, Jun 4, 2009

  3. Hello joy,

    > Hi Shil,
    >
    > You reported 2 problems:
    >
    > 1. Corrupt State info for a Web Page.
    > 2. Out Of Memory Exception
    > Resolution for "Corrupt State info":
    >
    > It seems the Machine Keys of ALL Server machines do not match. For
    > more on this go to:
    >
    > Resolution for "Out of Memory":
    >
    > This is very tricky to debug and for this i will need more info. Can
    > you please check the system log of the machine and send me the
    > detailed error report.

    Also, the out-of-memory exception might have triggered a ASP.NET worker process
    recycle, which (if the Machine keys aren't set to a fixed value) will generate
    new keys, and cause the next request to throw a corrupt state exception.

    The out of memory exception is one you need to fix. Memoryleaks that make
    the ASP.NET workerprocess so large that it will recycle due to memory starvation
    is a huge performance problem.

    Jesse

    --
    Jesse Houwing
    jesse.houwing at sogeti.nl
    Jesse Houwing, Jun 4, 2009
  4. shil

    shil Guest

    Thanks to both of your for your time.
    Today the server that was raising error is behaving fine but the other
    web server that was fine yestday is giving "Corrupt state info"
    error.
    The microsoft link that was provided is for ASP.NET 1.0 version. I'm
    using 2.0 version.
    Also, how can I tell which process is causing the memory leaks?
    shil, Jun 4, 2009
  5. shil

    Joy Guest

    Hi Shil,

    For memory leak in your code you need to use a Profiler to find out the
    erring code. One good Profiler is ANTS Profiler by Red-Gate.

    regards,
    Joy

    Joy, Jun 5, 2009