Tables under Firefox go wrong

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Samuël van Laere, May 12, 2006.

  1. Samuël van Laere, May 12, 2006

  2. Samuël van Laere

    ironcorona Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > Under Firefox my table goes wrong:
    > http://www.webkluns.nl/tabellen.html
    >
    > Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix it?

    Firefox seems to be doing something odd with the caption element. The
    way to solve this is go to your table style sheet and change it to:

    caption {
    background-color: #F5F5F5;
    border-left: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    border-right: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    border-top: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    color: #404040;
    font: normal bolder 100%/130% "MS Sans Serif", serif;
    margin:0 auto;
    }

    table {
    background-color: #DCDCDC;
    border: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    color: #000000;
    margin: 0 auto;
    width: 70%;
    }

    td {
    background-color: #F5F5F5;
    border: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    color: #000000;
    font: normal 100%/130% "Times New Roman", "Trebuchet MS", serif;
    }

    This is just adding margin:0 auto; to caption
    and changing to margin:0 auto; in table
    [note that values other than 0 in either of these breaks it too]

    If you want to give the table some margin-top I suggest that you give

    I have absolutely no clue as to why Firefox does this but none of my
    other browsers (Opera, IE) do.

    --
    Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

    ironcorona, May 12, 2006

  3. __/ [ ironcorona ] on Friday 12 May 2006 19:16 \__

    > Samuël van Laere wrote:
    >> Under Firefox my table goes wrong:
    >> http://www.webkluns.nl/tabellen.html
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix it?

    > Firefox seems to be doing something odd with the caption element. The
    > way to solve this is go to your table style sheet and change it to:
    >
    > caption {
    > background-color: #F5F5F5;
    > border-left: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    > border-right: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    > border-top: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    > color: #404040;
    > font: normal bolder 100%/130% "MS Sans Serif", serif;
    > margin:0 auto;
    > }
    >
    > table {
    > background-color: #DCDCDC;
    > border: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    > color: #000000;
    > margin: 0 auto;
    > width: 70%;
    > }
    >
    > td {
    > background-color: #F5F5F5;
    > border: 1px solid #A9A9A9;
    > color: #000000;
    > font: normal 100%/130% "Times New Roman", "Trebuchet MS", serif;
    > }
    >
    > This is just adding margin:0 auto; to caption
    > and changing to margin:0 auto; in table
    > [note that values other than 0 in either of these breaks it too]
    >
    > If you want to give the table some margin-top I suggest that you give
    >
    > I have absolutely no clue as to why Firefox does this but none of my
    > other browsers (Opera, IE) do.

    Neither does an old version of Konqueror. I too was trying to help, to no
    avail. I find it rather odd that, of all Web browsers, Firefox would be the
    one to fail. A Web search trying to identify a known problem was unfruitful,
    for what it's worth.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux ¦ PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

    Roy Schestowitz, May 12, 2006
  4. Samuël van Laere

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Samuël van Laere"
    <> vouchsafed:

    > Under Firefox my table goes wrong:
    > http://www.webkluns.nl/tabellen.html
    >
    > Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix it?

    The only way I could do it is to add style to the caption (...margin:auto,
    etc.) and adjust the table margins/borders as needed. Not supposed to be
    necessary, though.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, May 13, 2006
  5. "Neredbojias" <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> schreef in
    bericht news:Xns97C1B2B67255Ahttpwwwneredbojiasco@208.49.80.251...

    > The only way I could do it is to add style to the caption (...margin:auto,
    > etc.) and adjust the table margins/borders as needed. Not supposed to be
    > necessary, though.

    Thanks for the help folks, it works fine now.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Samuël van Laere, May 13, 2006
  6. "Roy Schestowitz" <> schreef in bericht
    > Neither does an old version of Konqueror. I too was trying to help, to no
    > avail. I find it rather odd that, of all Web browsers, Firefox would be
    > the
    > one to fail. A Web search trying to identify a known problem was
    > unfruitful,
    > for what it's worth.

    Is it possible to report this bug?
    Its kind of frustrating to say the least.

    I've got a nice table for Firefox now,
    with some padding on the caption.
    But IE at least needs padding on the table itself,
    seems logical though.
    Offcourse Firefox will fail and show a space between the caption and the
    table.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Samuël van Laere, May 13, 2006
  7. Samuël van Laere

    Jim Moe Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > Is it possible to report this bug?
    > Its kind of frustrating to say the least.

    <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi>.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 13, 2006
  8. Samuël van Laere

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > http://www.webkluns.nl/tabellen.html

    Some of your CSS font properties are just crazy!

    http://www.webkluns.nl/styles/default/nav.css:

    font: normal 100% "MS Sans Serif", serif;
    (Specifying a sans serif font with a generic serif fallback!)

    font: normal 100% monospace, serif;
    (The "serif" fallback is redundant.)

    http://www.webkluns.nl/styles/default/basic.css

    font: normal 130% "Comic Sans MS", serif;
    (Specifying a sans serif font with a generic serif fallback again.)

    http://www.webkluns.nl/styles/default/tables.css

    font: normal 100%/130% "Times New Roman", "Trebuchet MS", serif;
    (Serif font falling back to a sans serif, and then back to serif.)

    Crazy, crazy, crazy.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 13, 2006
  9. "Toby Inkster" <> schreef in bericht
    > Samuël van Laere wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.webkluns.nl/tabellen.html

    > Some of your CSS font properties are just crazy!

    Thanks Toby "crazy" Inkster,

    will see to it that it will be changed a.s.a.p
    I've got no dead wish, just so you know ;)

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Samuël van Laere, May 14, 2006