    no luck. Has anyone had to do anything like this? Any ideas would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in Advance

    Rob, Sep 23, 2003

  2. "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm trying to maintain a permanent tcp/ip connection between two
    > computers using ASP. I need users accessing the ASP pages to be able
    > to send and receive messages using this connection. I know that I
    > can't use a Winsock control with ASP so I guess I'm looking at a third
    > party control. Even if I can get this working I'm not sure that I can
    > have different users accessing this one permanently open connection.
    > I've looked all over the Net for ideas on how to do this but I've had
    > no luck. Has anyone had to do anything like this? Any ideas would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    This is a very inappropriate setup. You should not keep connections of
    whatever type (dbms, tcp/ip) on a HTTP system such as ASP / JSP or etc.
    ASP is limited to about 10 thread up to 40 (I believe) PER cpu. Which means
    that you would be quickly out of resources for your app.

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Sep 23, 2003

  3. In other words you are trying to create a StateFULL connection using a
    StateLESS protocol (http). Don't think it is possible.

    You could use a Control that runs in the Client's browser, which if
    course is a client-side thing and not ASP at all. The Control would
    maintain contact with a "Service" running on the Web Server, which is
    of course more of a winsock thing and certainly not http. The
    "Service" on the server acts as a central contact point for all the
    client Controls that connect to it.

    How is this done?......don't ask me.

    --

    Phillip Windell [CCNA, MVP, MCP]

    WAND-TV (ABC Affiliate)
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Thanks guys - it doesn't help that I don't know too much about
    connection states etc but I suspected that this was going to be an
    unrealistic set-up. Back to the drawing board!

    Rob, Sep 24, 2003