tcp/ip connection

Rob

I'm trying to maintain a permanent tcp/ip connection between two
computers using ASP. I need users accessing the ASP pages to be able
to send and receive messages using this connection. I know that I
can't use a Winsock control with ASP so I guess I'm looking at a third
party control. Even if I can get this working I'm not sure that I can
have different users accessing this one permanently open connection.
I've looked all over the Net for ideas on how to do this but I've had
no luck. Has anyone had to do anything like this? Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Rob said:
I'm trying to maintain a permanent tcp/ip connection between two
computers using ASP. I need users accessing the ASP pages to be able
to send and receive messages using this connection. I know that I
can't use a Winsock control with ASP so I guess I'm looking at a third
party control. Even if I can get this working I'm not sure that I can
have different users accessing this one permanently open connection.
I've looked all over the Net for ideas on how to do this but I've had
no luck. Has anyone had to do anything like this? Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

This is a very inappropriate setup. You should not keep connections of
whatever type (dbms, tcp/ip) on a HTTP system such as ASP / JSP or etc.
ASP is limited to about 10 thread up to 40 (I believe) PER cpu. Which means
that you would be quickly out of resources for your app.

Phillip Windell

In other words you are trying to create a StateFULL connection using a
StateLESS protocol (http). Don't think it is possible.

You could use a Control that runs in the Client's browser, which if
course is a client-side thing and not ASP at all. The Control would
maintain contact with a "Service" running on the Web Server, which is
of course more of a winsock thing and certainly not http. The
"Service" on the server acts as a central contact point for all the
client Controls that connect to it.

How is this done?......don't ask me.

--

Phillip Windell [CCNA, MVP, MCP]
(e-mail address removed)

Rob

Thanks guys - it doesn't help that I don't know too much about
connection states etc but I suspected that this was going to be an
unrealistic set-up. Back to the drawing board!