    who have no knowledge of programming. Any suggestions about
    textbooks, relevant exercises/projects, or websites?

    thanks in advance!

    dan, May 11, 2005

  2. dan

    Guest

    dan <> wrote:
    > I am interested in teaching Perl programming to linguistics BA students
    > who have no knowledge of programming. Any suggestions about
    > textbooks, relevant exercises/projects, or websites?

    Are you sure that you should be teaching Perl in that sense?

    A serious question as some (many) years ago I did do some work
    using Terry Winograd: Language as a Cognitive Process and
    wrote some stuff based upon it.

    I think it was mosly in Prolog however.

    But I would be very interested in what you wish to teach - please give
    us further details as it sounds fascinating.

    Axel

    , May 11, 2005

  3. dan

    Anno Siegel Guest

    dan <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > I am interested in teaching Perl programming to linguistics BA students
    > who have no knowledge of programming. Any suggestions about
    > textbooks, relevant exercises/projects, or websites?

    There's Andrew L. Johnson, _Elements of Programming with Perl_, Manning.
    I don't know the book or the author.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, May 11, 2005
  4. dan <> wrote:

    > I am interested in teaching Perl programming to linguistics BA students

    That would be cool, given the linguistics background of
    Perl's creator (Larry Wall).

    See "Natural Language Principles in Perl":

    http://www.wall.org/~larry/natural.html

    After covering "list vs scalar context" in Perl training classes,
    when there are lots of furrowed brows, I try to ease the students
    minds by pointing out that they do this "context thing" every
    day already. It is not new or scary.

    It's just that they are used to doing it in natural language
    rather than in computer language. I give this example:

    Give me a fish.

    Give me several fish.

    Where "fish" has 2 different meanings, the 1st in a singular noun
    and the 2nd is a plural noun.

    How do we tell which meaning to assign to "fish"?

    By looking at what's around the word "fish" (ie. it's context).

    Perl has the concept of singular (scalar) and plural (list).

    Then, if I see mostly smooth brows, I rile them up again with:

    I like to fish.

    Where it has yet another meaning, a verb. :)

    The natural-languageness of Perl makes is a sub-optimal language (IMO)
    for teaching CS fundamentals though.

    > who have no knowledge of programming.

    Ugh. That will be the hard part, as you will need to teach some
    fundamentals of general computer science, which will not be
    included most programming language tutorial materials...

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, May 11, 2005
  5. Anno Siegel <-berlin.de> wrote:
    > dan <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >> I am interested in teaching Perl programming to linguistics BA students
    >> who have no knowledge of programming. Any suggestions about
    >> textbooks, relevant exercises/projects, or websites?

    > There's Andrew L. Johnson, _Elements of Programming with Perl_, Manning.
    > I don't know the book or the author.

    I know both. I did a few pre-release reviews and am mentioned
    in the Acknowledgements.

    It's target audience is non-programmers, and I think it does a
    reasonably good job of hitting its target.

    Some others to consider that I've heard about but have no
    first-hand knowledge of:

    "Beginning Perl" by Simon Cozens
    available online at: http://learn.perl.org/library/beginning_perl/

    "Perl: The Programmer's Companion" by Nigel Chapman

    Tad McClellan, May 11, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "dan" <> wrote:

    > I am interested in teaching Perl programming to linguistics BA students
    > who have no knowledge of programming. Any suggestions about
    > textbooks, relevant exercises/projects, or websites?

    Allison Randall gave a linguistics talk at the Perl Conference in 2002.
    It was as close as that conference got to a sellout session I think,
    people sitting in the aisles, people standing in the corridor outside.

    <google google google>

    Here you go:

    An Introduction to Linguistics for Perl Developers
    or
    "Wouldn't know a tagmeme if it bit me on the parse."

    http://www.perl.org/tpc/2002/sessions/randal_tagmemics.pdf

    http://www.perl.org/tpc/2002/movies/

    Maybe that'll give you a few ideas?

    big
    --
    On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST
    ENOUGH FOR ME."' - Hunter S Thompson, 1937-2005 RIP

    Iain Chalmers, May 12, 2005
  7. dan

    Arne Ruhnau Guest

    dan wrote:
    > I am interested in teaching Perl programming to linguistics BA students
    > who have no knowledge of programming. Any suggestions about
    > textbooks, relevant exercises/projects, or websites?

    I myself learned Perl this way (actually I learned it before my course
    started, but thats another story...) However, my teacher used at first "the
    classic", Learning Perl. In a later course he had managed to write an own
    reader with tasks specific to NLP (mostly ngram-counting, i think...). The
    reader is in German, though...

    Here's the link (you should ask the author for permission if you plan to
    use it, i guess):

    http://www.linguistics.rub.de/~halama/lehre/perl-2004/materialien/perl-tutorium.pdf

    and the corresponding homepage would be

    http://www.linguistics.rub.de/~halama