Teaching Ruby in CS1

Robert Klemme

Who knows some good CS1 references for teaching Python ?
Thanks,

franck

You post this in com.lang.ruby? What kind of answers do you expect?

Cheers

robert

Elnur Abdurrakhimov

Have you accidentally typed "Python" instead of "Ruby"?

Stu

There is a how to think like a computer scientist book for java,
python and c++ but the ruby one is not finished from what I've seen.

Though I haven't read it I have come across this:

http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/

~Stu

I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !

=A0 franck

You post this in com.lang.ruby? =A0What kind of answers do you expect?

:D.

Anyways, when I was into Python long back, I liked "Thinking Like a
Computer Scientist". Can't say if you can use it for CS 101 though.

[1]: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/
[/QUOTE]

Anurag Priyam

I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !

The Ruby Programming Language + Ruby Best Practices should be used to
teach Ruby anywhere. While the former is about learning the core
language, the later is about using it.

Depending on what all you want to cover, you can probably sneak in
some chapters of Design Patterns in Ruby.

Anurag Priyam

Interesting. But I was interested in pointers to actual CS1
teaching Ruby, preferably in known universities...

Is Ruby even taught in any University?

Patrick Lynch

...thanks for the link Stu, I will read the book that it points to...
Good weekend