Teaching Ruby in CS1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Franck Ditter, May 21, 2011.

  1. Who knows some good CS1 references for teaching Python ?
    Thanks,

    franck
     
    Franck Ditter, May 21, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 05/21/2011 10:31 AM, Franck Ditter wrote:
    > Who knows some good CS1 references for teaching Python ?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > franck


    You post this in com.lang.ruby? What kind of answers do you expect?

    Cheers

    robert
     
    Robert Klemme, May 21, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Have you accidentally typed "Python" instead of "Ruby"?

    On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Franck Ditter <> wrote:

    > Who knows some good CS1 references for teaching Python ?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > franck
    >
    >
     
    Elnur Abdurrakhimov, May 21, 2011
    #3
  4. > You post this in com.lang.ruby? =A0What kind of answers do you expect?

    :D.

    Anyways, when I was into Python long back, I liked "Thinking Like a
    Computer Scientist". Can't say if you can use it for CS 101 though.

    [1]: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

    --=20
    Anurag Priyam
    http://about.me/yeban/
     
    Anurag Priyam, May 21, 2011
    #4
  5. I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !

    franck

    In article <>,
    Anurag Priyam <> wrote:

    > > You post this in com.lang.ruby?  What kind of answers do you expect?

    >
    > :D.
    >
    > Anyways, when I was into Python long back, I liked "Thinking Like a
    > Computer Scientist". Can't say if you can use it for CS 101 though.
    >
    > [1]: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/
     
    Franck Ditter, May 21, 2011
    #5
  6. Franck Ditter

    Stu Guest

    There is a how to think like a computer scientist book for java,
    python and c++ but the ruby one is not finished from what I've seen.

    Though I haven't read it I have come across this:

    http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/

    ~Stu

    On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Franck Ditter <> wrote:
    > I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !
    >
    > =A0 franck
    >
    > In article <>,
    > =A0Anurag Priyam <> wrote:
    >
    >> > You post this in com.lang.ruby? =A0What kind of answers do you expect?

    >>
    >> :D.
    >>
    >> Anyways, when I was into Python long back, I liked "Thinking Like a
    >> Computer Scientist". Can't say if you can use it for CS 101 though.
    >>
    >> [1]: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

    >
    >
     
    Stu, May 21, 2011
    #6
  7. > I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !

    The Ruby Programming Language + Ruby Best Practices should be used to
    teach Ruby anywhere. While the former is about learning the core
    language, the later is about using it.

    Depending on what all you want to cover, you can probably sneak in
    some chapters of Design Patterns in Ruby.

    --
    Anurag Priyam
    http://about.me/yeban/
     
    Anurag Priyam, May 22, 2011
    #7
  8. > Though I haven't read it I have come across this:
    >
    > http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/
    >
    > ~Stu


    Interesting. But I was interested in pointers to actual CS1
    teaching Ruby, preferably in known universities...
    Thanks,

    franck
     
    Franck Ditter, May 22, 2011
    #8
  9. > Interesting. But I was interested in pointers to actual CS1
    > teaching Ruby, preferably in known universities...


    Is Ruby even taught in any University?

    --
    Anurag Priyam
    http://about.me/yeban/
     
    Anurag Priyam, May 22, 2011
    #9
  10. Franck Ditter

    Uwe Kubosch Guest

    On 2011-05-22, at 09:30, Franck Ditter wrote:

    > Interesting. But I was interested in pointers to actual CS1
    > teaching Ruby, preferably in known universities...
    > Thanks,


    I believe the University of Oslo uses Ruby in some of their courses:

    Here is a link for an advanced course, but maybe you can contact them for more info:

    http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/INF5660/


    --
    With kind regards
    Uwe Kubosch
    Kubosch Consulting

    http://kubosch.no/
     
    Uwe Kubosch, May 22, 2011
    #10
  11. Franck Ditter

    Uwe Kubosch Guest

    On 2011-05-22, at 09:37, Uwe Kubosch wrote:

    > On 2011-05-22, at 09:30, Franck Ditter wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting. But I was interested in pointers to actual CS1
    >> teaching Ruby, preferably in known universities...
    >> Thanks,

    >
    > I believe the University of Oslo uses Ruby in some of their courses:
    >
    > Here is a link for an advanced course, but maybe you can contact them for more info:
    >
    > http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/INF5660/



    ...and here the link to the Ruby part of the course:

    http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~hpl/INF5660/ruby/

    --
    With kind regards
    Uwe Kubosch
    Kubosch Consulting

    http://kubosch.no/
     
    Uwe Kubosch, May 22, 2011
    #11
  12. ...thanks for the link Stu, I will read the book that it points to...
    Good weekend

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Stu" <>
    To: "ruby-talk ML" <>
    Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:33 PM
    Subject: Re: Teaching Ruby in CS1


    There is a how to think like a computer scientist book for java,
    python and c++ but the ruby one is not finished from what I've seen.

    Though I haven't read it I have come across this:

    http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus8/

    ~Stu

    On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Franck Ditter <> wrote:
    > I was meaning "Ruby in CS1" of course. Ooops !
    >
    > franck
    >
    > In article <>,
    > Anurag Priyam <> wrote:
    >
    >> > You post this in com.lang.ruby? What kind of answers do you expect?

    >>
    >> :D.
    >>
    >> Anyways, when I was into Python long back, I liked "Thinking Like a
    >> Computer Scientist". Can't say if you can use it for CS 101 though.
    >>
    >> [1]: http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

    >
    >
     
    Patrick Lynch, May 26, 2011
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. CC Fanatic

    cs1.Keyboard; HELPPPP

    CC Fanatic, Sep 14, 2008, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    583
    CC Fanatic
    Sep 14, 2008
  2. Franck Ditter

    Python in CS1

    Franck Ditter, May 21, 2011, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    289
    Sarah Mount
    May 21, 2011
  3. Joe Van Dyk

    Teaching Ruby

    Joe Van Dyk, Jun 3, 2005, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    134
    Jonas Hartmann
    Jun 5, 2005
  4. Aldric Giacomoni
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    805
    Aldric Giacomoni
    Apr 16, 2010
  5. Stefan Ram

    Teaching Java, teaching what?

    Stefan Ram, Dec 8, 2013, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    57
    Views:
    607
    Ali Sh
    Dec 18, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page