template which appears as a book.

AlJones

Well, the subject line says it, I'm looking for a template - preferably
html / css - that allows the user to 'flip pages'. There are plenty done
ifn flash, but I'm not interested in going there, anyone have any ideas
where I can find one.

Googling for anything with web book turns up plenty on how to create a
flash book, or to create a book to sell; and googling for html page / web
page / ???? page, turns up the obvious.

I have some oldfamily letters tht I'd like to put up but th way I've been
doing it is a pain in the butt both for me and the user. Any Suggestions??

//al

dorayme

AlJones said:
Well, the subject line says it, I'm looking for a template - preferably
html / css - that allows the user to 'flip pages'. There are plenty done
ifn flash, but I'm not interested in going there, anyone have any ideas
where I can find one.

Googling for anything with web book turns up plenty on how to create a
flash book, or to create a book to sell; and googling for html page / web
page / ???? page, turns up the obvious.

I have some oldfamily letters tht I'd like to put up but th way I've been
doing it is a pain in the butt both for me and the user. Any Suggestions??

Are you just wanting to stay with HTML and CSS 2.1?

David Segall

AlJones said:
Well, the subject line says it, I'm looking for a template - preferably
html / css - that allows the user to 'flip pages'. There are plenty done
ifn flash, but I'm not interested in going there, anyone have any ideas
where I can find one.

Googling for anything with web book turns up plenty on how to create a
flash book, or to create a book to sell; and googling for html page / web
page / ???? page, turns up the obvious.

I have some oldfamily letters tht I'd like to put up but th way I've been
doing it is a pain in the butt both for me and the user. Any Suggestions??

//al

I assume that the letters are scanned images so you may find one of
the programs that is intended to format photographs as web pages
effective. I use JAlbum <http://jalbum.net>. It comes with dozens of
different formats, with and without thumbnails, but you can also write
your own.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:
<snip>

I remember a little while back you were hunting for a free news server.
Well my ISP switched from nTelos.net (poor but mostly functioning) to
PaeTec.net (support has yet to get it working). All this broad hints of
dropping NNTP all together. GG for the future is a scary thought.
Currently using Motzarella, but just discovered that they do not allow
crossposting. Most free servers don't handle the handful of groups that
I monitor. How is albasani.net working out?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jonathan said:
Currently using Motzarella, but just discovered that they do not allow
crossposting.

I use Motzarella, and don't have any problem seeing (or replying to)
crossposted articles. Perhaps there is something awry with your
formatting in the Newsgroups field? Are you separating groups with
commas?

alt.this,alt.that,alt.somethingelse

Johannes Hafner

Beauregard said:
I use Motzarella, and don't have any problem seeing (or replying to)
crossposted articles. Perhaps there is something awry with your
formatting in the Newsgroups field? Are you separating groups with
commas?

alt.this,alt.that,alt.somethingelse
I use motzarella.org, too, and never had a problem with crossposting.
Perhaps they deman an F'up header (I always set one, so I don't know if
they accept postings without it)? You also have to keep in mind, that
newsgroups are not only seperated by a comma, but *only* by a comma
*without* any space between.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Johannes said:
I use motzarella.org, too, and never had a problem with crossposting.
Perhaps they deman an F'up header (I always set one, so I don't know
if they accept postings without it)? You also have to keep in mind,
that newsgroups are not only seperated by a comma, but *only* by a
comma *without* any space between.

I don't think a followup header is required (though usually desired). I
see plenty of crossposted crap on my Motz feed, and have infrequently
replied to them without failure.

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
I use Motzarella, and don't have any problem seeing (or replying to)
crossposted articles. Perhaps there is something awry with your
formatting in the Newsgroups field? Are you separating groups with
commas?

alt.this,alt.that,alt.somethingelse

Hmmm just checked, SeaMonkey just uses standard commas. I never had
problems before, but I am new to Motzarella. Just was relying to
Harlan's post

http://message-id.net/<[email protected]>
Message-ID.net : (e-mail address removed)

which is crossposted to comp.lang.javascript,alt.html and got the
message from Motzarella that I can only post to one group at a time.

Now Motzarella does have c.l.j in their hierarchies, but I haven't
bother to subscribed to it yet since I am hoping my ISP will get their
act together. Maybe that was the problem...

richard

Hmmm just checked, SeaMonkey just uses standard commas. I never had
problems before, but I am new to Motzarella. Just was relying to
Harlan's post

http://message-id.net/<[email protected]>
Message-ID.net : (e-mail address removed)

which is crossposted to comp.lang.javascript,alt.html and got the
message from Motzarella that I can only post to one group at a time.

Now Motzarella does have c.l.j in their hierarchies, but I haven't
bother to subscribed to it yet since I am hoping my ISP will get their
act together. Maybe that was the problem...

Can you afford $40 a year?
www.newsguy.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jonathan said:
Now Motzarella does have c.l.j in their hierarchies, but I haven't
bother to subscribed to it yet since I am hoping my ISP will get
their act together. Maybe that was the problem...

Motzarella has never prevented me from cross-posting where the list
included a group I wasn't subscribed to.

http://news.individual.net/
for only ¤10 ($13US) per year.

Neredbojias

Neredbojias wrote:
<snip>

I remember a little while back you were hunting for a free news
server. Well my ISP switched from nTelos.net (poor but mostly
functioning) to PaeTec.net (support has yet to get it working). All
this broad hints of dropping NNTP all together. GG for the future is
a scary thought.

Heh heh, yeah, it is...
Currently using Motzarella, but just discovered that they do not
allow crossposting. Most free servers don't handle the handful of
groups that I monitor. How is albasani.net working out?

Good, very good, but realize that this group is the only one I use.
Had some connection probs with Motz a (good) while back so sought out
another provider. Re. crossposting, I don't really know though can't
remember any trouble c/ping to related groups.

AlJones

Are you just wanting to stay with HTML and CSS 2.1?

Preferably; What I should have mentioned, I have images of the letters
(thumbnail and blownup) as well as the text of the letter (since the leters
are very old and even with some "fixing" are hard to read). I'm basically
looking for something to display the letters image in the top left (right?)
it's associated text wrapping the picture, thenh the back / second page
image with associated text; then a way to move from one letter to another.
I've been playing with it and have run into some interesting problems - see
http://aljones.us/630809va1.html - and others, feel free to wander around
and make suggestions.

//al

dorayme

AlJones said:
Preferably; What I should have mentioned, I have images of the letters
(thumbnail and blownup) as well as the text of the letter (since the leters
are very old and even with some "fixing" are hard to read). I'm basically
looking for something to display the letters image in the top left (right?)
it's associated text wrapping the picture, thenh the back / second page
image with associated text; then a way to move from one letter to another.
I've been playing with it and have run into some interesting problems - see
http://aljones.us/630809va1.html - and others, feel free to wander around
and make suggestions.

A nice plan generally. I would make the thumbnails smaller (less than
101px wide) because they cannot be read anyway and you have excellent
blow ups via the img links. Also perhaps limit the width of the actual
letters of your html text (max width 30 or 40 ems, I would say) and
prevent the wrapping under the images for neatness and to keep it sort
of letter-like in presentation!

And I suggest, from a very quick look:

#leftbit li {
margin-bottom: .2em;
font-size: .9em;
}

div#leftbit {
float: left;
border-right: 2px solid #ccc;
width: 14em;
}

rather than yours which seems squashed and harder to read (in spite of
mine being a smaller font). The bullets help imo.

You could simplify the HYML and CSS a bit.

As for special effects, I would be inclined to keep it simple and just
do what you are doing but alter the images slightly to give a slightly
curled up look to the bottom right of those that are not the end pages
of letters to suggest page turning.

You could even turn these into animated gifs that loop *just once
please!* and the curl getting more acute... know what I mean or not?