Test page critique

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dariusz, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Dariusz

    Dariusz Guest

    Hi all,

    I need a critique of a test page I am working on at the following URL:

    www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/

    The URL will be alive until around 08:00GMT this coming Friday 19 September
    2003 after which the test page will vanish and any more attemts will "404".

    The main subject headings are clickable, but their pages are not 100%
    designed - and the quiz is NOT designed. I'm particularly interested in the
    following:

    a) Anyone on dial-up, if the initial page load time is too long (98% of
    graphics get cached and are reused in all the other eventual pages).
    b) Anyone with the Opera and WebTV web-browsers, what does it look like?
    c) Anyone with browser versions LESS than:
    Netscape v7.0
    Internet Explorer v6.x (SP1)
    Mozilla Firebird v0.6
    d) Anyone using a Unix / Linux setup.
    e) PNG graphics are used in this design, I would like to know if they are
    transparent in your browsers - or they have a grey box background. If so,
    tell me which browser and version did this.

    I have NOT designed for Netscape 4.x versions - there comes a time you
    don't want to continually support such ancient and broken browsers, and
    according to my site log files - hardly anyone uses it anyway.

    Thanks to anyone that visits.

    Dariusz
    Dariusz, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Dariusz

    eve Guest

    > I need a critique of a test page I am working on at the following URL:
    >
    > www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/

    great site- not thrilled about the colors though... :) but the layout an
    text, etc is great.

    > a) Anyone on dial-up, if the initial page load time is too long (98% of
    > graphics get cached and are reused in all the other eventual pages).

    im on cable - it was immediate

    > e) PNG graphics are used in this design, I would like to know if they are
    > transparent in your browsers - or they have a grey box background. If so,
    > tell me which browser and version did this.

    they are transparent in IE
    eve, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Dariusz

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Dariusz

    rf Guest

    "Dariusz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need a critique of a test page I am working on at the following URL:
    >
    > www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/
    >
    > The URL will be alive until around 08:00GMT this coming Friday 19

    September
    > 2003 after which the test page will vanish and any more attemts will

    "404".

    Well that gives us a deadline :-( If it only last's this long then why "Site
    launched Saturday 05 February 2000"? :)

    Why is it fixed width?

    Don't use pictures of text when the actual text will work better (ie be
    resizable and therefore accessable). I refer to your menu.

    The picture of that girl is way too big. I would expect about 15K, not 40+K

    What happens when I make my font larger?
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/deborah.jpg

    cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 15, 2003
  5. Dariusz

    Dariusz Guest

    In article <p%f9b.103124$>, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> The URL will be alive until around 08:00GMT this coming Friday 19

    >September
    >> 2003 after which the test page will vanish and any more attemts will

    >"404".
    >
    >Well that gives us a deadline :-( If it only last's this long then why "Site
    >launched Saturday 05 February 2000"? :)

    Because it's only a test page so doesn't need to be up indefinately.

    >Why is it fixed width?

    To make a change from variable width of my current design.

    >Don't use pictures of text when the actual text will work better (ie be
    >resizable and therefore accessable). I refer to your menu.

    I will be changing this too to image background and regular text on
    forground instead of text already in the graphic, have to write CSS for it.

    >The picture of that girl is way too big. I would expect about 15K, not 40+K

    Will investigate this further

    >What happens when I make my font larger?
    >http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/deborah.jpg

    Yes, I am aware of this, and I will be trying to fix this "bug", It's
    happened because I am new to using CSS to TOTALLY layout the design, if it
    was in tables (like I used to do), then the design would not break.

    Thanks for visiting and your input, much appreciated.

    Dariusz
    Dariusz, Sep 15, 2003
  6. Dariusz

    Dariusz Guest

    In article <3f658595$0$28895$>, "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote:
    >Loads fast. Looks good.
    >How did you manage to make the PNG (ie deb-pic.png) transaparent??

    With Internet Explorer 6 (SP1), it is a fluke how it works.. because I
    tried the signature as a PNG and it did not work in IE even though the
    files size and dimentions (when I split the graphic in two) were smaller
    thant the deb-pic.png. The other PNG's on the page seem to load with no
    problem either. All PNGs on the page seem to work without problems in
    Netscape 7.0 and MozillaFirebird 0.6

    There is a very stupid work around that makes IE load PNG transparent
    (search for it with Google), but the code then breaks all the other
    browsers - typical M$ and IE. And I'm not going to add acres of code to
    sense which browser is being used.

    So I changed the signature to JPG instead as a horrible compromise.

    Dariusz
    Dariusz, Sep 15, 2003
  7. Dariusz

    rf Guest

    rf, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Dariusz

    rf Guest

    <> wrote:
    > >> The URL will be alive until around 08:00GMT this coming Friday 19

    > >September
    > >"404".
    > >
    > >Why is it fixed width?

    > To make a change from variable width of my current design.

    So where is your current design?

    I, and most of us here, prefer a liquid design, one that adapts to the size
    of my canvas, without those nasty borders.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 15, 2003
  9. Dariusz

    Dariusz Guest

    www.deb-ski.com

    >I, and most of us here, prefer a liquid design, one that adapts to the size
    >of my canvas, without those nasty borders.

    It might be my website, but I still have to listen to the people that visit
    it most. Which is why a lot of it is being changed, and Javascript is
    being as far as possible - dumped (because I can't guarantee people have it
    "switched on" and it's unreasonable to ask them to have it on IMO, which
    my current layout does).

    The new layout I want to have only fixes the width of about 750 pixels (not
    supporting browsers less than 800x600 - and it seems to be the smallest
    actual size my Javascript sensing tells me is popular).

    Both designs scale according to window size, but in different ways because
    of the way they are laid out and designed.

    Dariusz
    Dariusz, Sep 15, 2003
  10. Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Dariusz wrote:
    >> www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/

    Navigation area and calendar are completely illegible for me. Too small
    and the font is too curly.

    Your code seems to have two of lots of things that there should only be
    one of:

    - two DOCTYPEs
    - two <head>s
    - two </head>s
    - etc...

    Your stylesheet is screwed. Remove the first two and last two lines.

    > How did you manage to make the PNG (ie deb-pic.png) transaparent??

    IE supports transparent PNGs. It just doesn't support alpha transparency.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Sep 15, 2003
  11. Dariusz

    kchayka Guest

    Dariusz wrote:

    > I need a critique of a test page I am working on at the following URL:
    >
    > www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/

    Doesn't adjust to my window width. :(
    Font size is way too small for my reading pleasure. :(

    This is what happens after zooming text enough so it's readable:
    <URL:http://accessat.c-net.us/screenshots/deborahgibson-fan.png>

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)ns(dash). Mail sent to the ns
    address is automatically deleted and will not be read.
    kchayka, Sep 15, 2003
  12. Dariusz

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Dariusz wrote:
    >>> www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/

    >> How did you manage to make the PNG (ie deb-pic.png) transaparent??

    > IE supports transparent PNGs. It just doesn't support alpha
    > transparency.

    Must be my picture editor (PSP7) but I can't create a transparent png :).
    Neither with alfa transparency nor with transparency of a selected color.
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Sep 15, 2003
  13. Dariusz

    Headless Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >IE supports transparent PNGs. It just doesn't support alpha transparency.

    Palette based only, 24 bit single colour transparency are also not
    supported.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm
    Headless, Sep 15, 2003
  14. In article <1hf9b.5670$9.net>,
    (Dariusz) wrote:

    > a) Anyone on dial-up, if the initial page load time is too long (98% of
    > graphics get cached and are reused in all the other eventual pages).

    Mac OS X Safari 1.0 (v85):
    Loaded fast--or appeared to since the text loaded first.

    > c) Anyone with browser versions LESS than:
    > Netscape v7.0
    > Internet Explorer v6.x (SP1)
    > Mozilla Firebird v0.6

    Again, Mac OS X but with IE 5.2.1
    I waited and waited until image of the girl finally loaded on the
    left--no menu, no text...until I scrolled down and there was the main
    part of the page, below all the stuff that was on the left.

    > e) PNG graphics are used in this design, I would like to know if they are
    > transparent in your browsers - or they have a grey box background. If so,
    > tell me which browser and version did this.

    PNGs looked fine with both browsers

    Audry

    --
    I am not a professional woman.
    tawdry glamour who is at smile global dot com
    T. Audry Glamour, Sep 15, 2003
  15. Dariusz

    Headless Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> IE supports transparent PNGs. It just doesn't support alpha
    >> transparency.

    >Must be my picture editor (PSP7) but I can't create a transparent png :).

    Nah, it's you :)

    >Neither with alfa transparency nor with transparency of a selected color.
    >Nico

    Select palette based.

    Headless

    --
    Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm
    Headless, Sep 15, 2003
  16. Dariusz

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Headless wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Must be my picture editor (PSP7) but I can't create a transparent
    >> png :).

    > Nah, it's you :)

    >> Neither with alfa transparency nor with transparency of a selected
    >> color. Nico

    > Select palette based.

    Headless, you're great!!!
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Sep 15, 2003
  17. Dariusz

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Dariusz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need a critique of a test page I am working on at the following URL:
    >
    > www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/

    When I resize the text size from medium to larger or
    largest in MSIE 6, the entire right side of the content
    disappears. The only thing left is her picture and the
    left side navigation.
    Mark Jones, Sep 16, 2003