Test page critique

Dariusz

Hi all,

I need a critique of a test page I am working on at the following URL:

www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/

The URL will be alive until around 08:00GMT this coming Friday 19 September
2003 after which the test page will vanish and any more attemts will "404".

The main subject headings are clickable, but their pages are not 100%
designed - and the quiz is NOT designed. I'm particularly interested in the
following:

a) Anyone on dial-up, if the initial page load time is too long (98% of
graphics get cached and are reused in all the other eventual pages).
b) Anyone with the Opera and WebTV web-browsers, what does it look like?
c) Anyone with browser versions LESS than:
Netscape v7.0
Internet Explorer v6.x (SP1)
Mozilla Firebird v0.6
d) Anyone using a Unix / Linux setup.
e) PNG graphics are used in this design, I would like to know if they are
transparent in your browsers - or they have a grey box background. If so,
tell me which browser and version did this.

I have NOT designed for Netscape 4.x versions - there comes a time you
don't want to continually support such ancient and broken browsers, and
according to my site log files - hardly anyone uses it anyway.

Thanks to anyone that visits.

Dariusz

eve

I need a critique of a test page I am working on at the following URL:

great site- not thrilled about the colors though... :) but the layout an
text, etc is great.
a) Anyone on dial-up, if the initial page load time is too long (98% of
graphics get cached and are reused in all the other eventual pages).

im on cable - it was immediate
e) PNG graphics are used in this design, I would like to know if they are
transparent in your browsers - or they have a grey box background. If so,
tell me which browser and version did this.

they are transparent in IE

rf

Dariusz said:
Hi all,

I need a critique of a test page I am working on at the following URL:

www.deborahgibson-fan.com/test2/

The URL will be alive until around 08:00GMT this coming Friday 19 September
2003 after which the test page will vanish and any more attemts will
"404".

Well that gives us a deadline :-( If it only last's this long then why "Site
launched Saturday 05 February 2000"? :)

Why is it fixed width?

Don't use pictures of text when the actual text will work better (ie be
resizable and therefore accessable). I refer to your menu.

The picture of that girl is way too big. I would expect about 15K, not 40+K

What happens when I make my font larger?
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/deborah.jpg

cheers
Richard.

Dariusz

"404".

Well that gives us a deadline :-( If it only last's this long then why "Site
launched Saturday 05 February 2000"? :)

Because it's only a test page so doesn't need to be up indefinately.
Why is it fixed width?

To make a change from variable width of my current design.
Don't use pictures of text when the actual text will work better (ie be
resizable and therefore accessable). I refer to your menu.

I will be changing this too to image background and regular text on
forground instead of text already in the graphic, have to write CSS for it.
The picture of that girl is way too big. I would expect about 15K, not 40+K

Will investigate this further
What happens when I make my font larger?
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/deborah.jpg

Yes, I am aware of this, and I will be trying to fix this "bug", It's
happened because I am new to using CSS to TOTALLY layout the design, if it
was in tables (like I used to do), then the design would not break.

Thanks for visiting and your input, much appreciated.

Dariusz

Dariusz

Loads fast. Looks good.
How did you manage to make the PNG (ie deb-pic.png) transaparent??

With Internet Explorer 6 (SP1), it is a fluke how it works.. because I
tried the signature as a PNG and it did not work in IE even though the
files size and dimentions (when I split the graphic in two) were smaller
thant the deb-pic.png. The other PNG's on the page seem to load with no
problem either. All PNGs on the page seem to work without problems in
Netscape 7.0 and MozillaFirebird 0.6

There is a very stupid work around that makes IE load PNG transparent
(search for it with Google), but the code then breaks all the other
browsers - typical M$ and IE. And I'm not going to add acres of code to
sense which browser is being used.

So I changed the signature to JPG instead as a horrible compromise.

Dariusz

rf

Dariusz said:
Because it's only a test page so doesn't need to be up indefinately.

To make a change from variable width of my current design.

I will be changing this too to image background and regular text on
forground instead of text already in the graphic, have to write CSS for it. 40+K

Dariusz said:
To make a change from variable width of my current design.

So where is your current design?

I, and most of us here, prefer a liquid design, one that adapts to the size
of my canvas, without those nasty borders.

Cheers
Richard.

Dariusz

So where is your current design?
www.deb-ski.com

I, and most of us here, prefer a liquid design, one that adapts to the size
of my canvas, without those nasty borders.

It might be my website, but I still have to listen to the people that visit
it most. Which is why a lot of it is being changed, and Javascript is
being as far as possible - dumped (because I can't guarantee people have it
"switched on" and it's unreasonable to ask them to have it on IMO, which
my current layout does).

The new layout I want to have only fixes the width of about 750 pixels (not
supporting browsers less than 800x600 - and it seems to be the smallest
actual size my Javascript sensing tells me is popular).

Both designs scale according to window size, but in different ways because
of the way they are laid out and designed.

Dariusz

Toby A Inkster

Navigation area and calendar are completely illegible for me. Too small
and the font is too curly.

Your code seems to have two of lots of things that there should only be
one of:

- two DOCTYPEs
- two <head>s
- two </head>s
- etc...

Your stylesheet is screwed. Remove the first two and last two lines.
How did you manage to make the PNG (ie deb-pic.png) transaparent??

IE supports transparent PNGs. It just doesn't support alpha transparency.

Nico Schuyt

IE supports transparent PNGs. It just doesn't support alpha
transparency.

Must be my picture editor (PSP7) but I can't create a transparent png :).
Neither with alfa transparency nor with transparency of a selected color.
Nico

Headless

Toby said:
IE supports transparent PNGs. It just doesn't support alpha transparency.

Palette based only, 24 bit single colour transparency are also not
supported.

Headless

T. Audry Glamour

a) Anyone on dial-up, if the initial page load time is too long (98% of
graphics get cached and are reused in all the other eventual pages).

Mac OS X Safari 1.0 (v85):
Loaded fast--or appeared to since the text loaded first.

c) Anyone with browser versions LESS than:
Netscape v7.0
Internet Explorer v6.x (SP1)
Mozilla Firebird v0.6

Again, Mac OS X but with IE 5.2.1
I waited and waited until image of the girl finally loaded on the
left--no menu, no text...until I scrolled down and there was the main
part of the page, below all the stuff that was on the left.
e) PNG graphics are used in this design, I would like to know if they are
transparent in your browsers - or they have a grey box background. If so,
tell me which browser and version did this.

PNGs looked fine with both browsers

Audry