    different results because they were installed on different OS of Windows.
    Anyone else encountered this? If it's a rare occurence then I won't bother
    trying to deal with this?

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jun 12, 2008

  2. Kabuki Armadillo

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Kabuki Armadillo wrote:
    > Right now I only run IE7 and FF2 on my machine.
    >
    > Question 1:
    > Which browsers and versions would you recommend that I test my sites on?
    > Say to ensure a 90% plus penetration rate.
    >
    > Question 2:
    > Any suggestions for the best way to install different versions of the
    > same browser. I'm thinking mostly of different versions of IE here.
    >
    > I'm reluctant to install previous versions of IE on the same machine for
    > fear of mucking up my OS / current IE. I know of sandbox programs.
    > Anyone try these or have any luck (good or bad!) with them? Would they
    > even work in this case?

    This covers all of that:

    http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_testing.htm#d02
    C A Upsdell, Jun 12, 2008

  3. Kabuki Armadillo

    viza Guest

    Hi

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:11:49 -0400, C A Upsdell wrote:

    > Kabuki Armadillo wrote:

    >> Which browsers and versions would you recommend that I test my sites
    >> on?

    > This covers all of that:
    >
    > http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_testing.htm#d02

    It has some information that might be useful, but it is still covers very
    far from "all" of the question. It doesn't even mention lynx!

    http://lynx.browser.org/

    Very few people visiting most sites actually use lynx, but it is still
    the first browser I test any site with.

    Using a text only browser without scripting is essential for testing any
    but the most simple of layouts. Just as an example, you get to see what
    mobile phone users get, and what blind people hear.

    viza
    viza, Jun 12, 2008
  4. On Jun 12, 12:14 pm, "Kabuki Armadillo" <>
    wrote:
    > to ensure a 90% plus penetration rate.

    He said penetration...

    > Question 2...

    Internet explorer still holds the lead I am sure, but there is a free
    services around (someone here might give you the url, I don't know it)
    that tests your code against several browser and versions of those
    browsers.
    Travis Newbury, Jun 12, 2008
  5. On Jun 12, 3:07 pm, viza <> wrote:
    > It has some information that might be useful, but it is still covers very
    > far from "all" of the question. It doesn't even mention lynx!

    And the reason isn't obvious?
    Travis Newbury, Jun 12, 2008
  6. "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message

    > Internet explorer still holds the lead I am sure, but there is a free
    > services around (someone here might give you the url, I don't know it)
    > that tests your code against several browser and versions of those
    > browsers.

    I'm aware of Browsershots but that only lets you see a screenshot at a fixed
    screen size. It doesn't let you dynamically play around with the site to
    ensure that it works under different conditions. (Also, it's slow to
    producer results 'cuz I think it gets a lot of traffic.)

    Is there some sort of "virtual" tester available?

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jun 12, 2008
  7. Kabuki Armadillo

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 12, 2:55 pm, "Kabuki Armadillo" <>
    wrote:
    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message

    > > Internet explorer still holds the lead I am sure, but there is a free
    > > services around (someone here might give you the url, I don't know it)
    > > that tests your code against several browser and versions of those
    > > browsers.

    > I'm aware of Browsershots but that only lets you see a screenshot at a fixed
    > screen size. It doesn't let you dynamically play around with the site to
    > ensure that it works under different conditions. (Also, it's slow to
    > producer results 'cuz I think it gets a lot of traffic.)
    >
    > Is there some sort of "virtual" tester available?

    Another site that lets you take screenshots on many browsers is
    http://www.totalvalidator.com/ . They are a validator, apparently
    about the same as the W3C one, with several added options such as
    screen shots, spell checking, link checks, etc. As you point out, a
    single screen shot may be helpful for simple pages, but for those that
    have dynamic content, a lot of php, etc a simple screen shot may not
    be very useful. This site has many browsers, including several older
    and obscure ones, and different OSs. The site is mainly free, but
    donations are accepted. For rich Apple computer owners, there is a fee
    for checking on a Mac OS :).
    cwdjrxyz, Jun 12, 2008
  8. Kabuki Armadillo

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Kabuki Armadillo" <> wrote in message

    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Internet explorer still holds the lead I am sure, but there is a free
    >> services around (someone here might give you the url, I don't know it)
    >> that tests your code against several browser and versions of those
    >> browsers.

    > I'm aware of Browsershots but that only lets you see a screenshot at a
    > fixed screen size. It doesn't let you dynamically play around with the
    > site to ensure that it works under different conditions. (Also, it's slow
    > to producer results 'cuz I think it gets a lot of traffic.)
    >
    > Is there some sort of "virtual" tester available?

    http://www.browsercam.com/

    Was fairly expensive last time I looked, don't know what the prices are like
    now
    Nik Coughlin, Jun 12, 2008
  9. Kabuki Armadillo

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > Another site that lets you take screenshots on many browsers is
    > http://www.totalvalidator.com/. The site is mainly free, but
    > donations are accepted. For rich Apple computer owners, there is a fee
    > for checking on a Mac OS :).

    Thanks for this link.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 12, 2008
  10. Kabuki Armadillo

    paul watt Guest

    > Right now I only run IE7 and FF2 on my machine.
    >
    > Question 1:
    > Which browsers and versions would you recommend that I test my sites on?
    > Say to ensure a 90% plus penetration rate.
    >
    > Question 2:
    > Any suggestions for the best way to install different versions of the same
    > browser. I'm thinking mostly of different versions of IE here.
    >
    > I'm reluctant to install previous versions of IE on the same machine for
    > fear of mucking up my OS / current IE. I know of sandbox programs. Anyone
    > try these or have any luck (good or bad!) with them? Would they even work
    > in this case?
    >
    > Also, I even encountered problems where the same browser / version
    > produced different results because they were installed on different OS of
    > Windows. Anyone else encountered this? If it's a rare occurence then I
    > won't bother trying to deal with this?

    http://multipleies.en.softonic.com/

    installs standalone versions of IE back to IE3.

    --
    Paul Watt

    http://www.paulwattdesigns.com
    paul watt, Jun 12, 2008
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Kabuki Armadillo"
    <> writing in

    > Right now I only run IE7 and FF2 on my machine.
    >
    > Question 1:
    > Which browsers and versions would you recommend that I test my sites
    > on? Say to ensure a 90% plus penetration rate.
    >
    > Question 2:
    > Any suggestions for the best way to install different versions of the
    > same browser. I'm thinking mostly of different versions of IE here.
    >
    > I'm reluctant to install previous versions of IE on the same machine
    > for fear of mucking up my OS / current IE. I know of sandbox programs.
    > Anyone try these or have any luck (good or bad!) with them? Would they
    > even work in this case?
    >
    > Also, I even encountered problems where the same browser / version
    > produced different results because they were installed on different OS
    > of Windows. Anyone else encountered this? If it's a rare occurence
    > then I won't bother trying to deal with this?

    I have the following:
    1. Opera (default browser)
    2. Firefox
    3. Safari
    4. IE7, IE6, IE5.5, IE5, IE4 and IE3 (I used the program at
    [http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE] and have not had any problems with
    multiple versions)
    5. Openwave (phone simulator)
    6. Old versions of Netscape (old as 2.0)
    7. Some other browsers that are in mothballs in my downloads folder.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 17, 2008