Text is clipped. How can I fix this?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by zeyais@gmail.com, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I am using ASP.net (should be transparent in this case).

    The page is generated alright. The page has fieldset, divs and tables
    and other HTML elements like text box, drop downs etc; all are
    standards. Also, the page is formatted/decorated using CSS.

    Here is the issue:
    HTML generated is alright. Except:
    1. IE the text is clipped instead of wrapping the text around inside
    the fieldset/div. Even the right side of the fieldsets border is not
    shown as it is extended and I am assuming "pushed" below the adjacent
    element.
    2. FF if text is long it does not wrap nor it is clipped instead it
    shows over its neighboring elements, which in my case is a table
    adjacent.

    Code:
    The generated output:
    <fieldset>
    <legend>Phrase</legend>
    <ul>
    <li>
    this</a>
    </li>
    &middot;&nbsp;
    <li>
    should be visible'>word this sould wrapped and all words should be
    visible</a>
    </li>
    &nbsp;&middot;&nbsp;
    <li>
    flow over adjacent element'>info again should not be clipped or flow
    over adjacent element</a>
    </li>
    </ul>
    </fieldset>

    CSS:
    #div_words {float: left}
    #div_words ul li{ list-style-type: none; float:left; margin: 0 10 0
    -18; text-align:left; text-indent:0; color:#000}

    Questions:
    How can I fix this?

    Additionally,
    If you see the HTML I am using &nbsp;&middot;&nbsp; as seperator
    between words, but in FF the &middot; is rendered before the words. How
    can I fix this? I can live without this, my first need is how to fix
    the clipping and overflowing of text.

    Thanks.
    , Feb 5, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I am using ASP.net (should be transparent in this case).
    >
    > The page is generated alright. The page has fieldset, divs and tables
    > and other HTML elements like text box, drop downs etc; all are
    > standards. Also, the page is formatted/decorated using CSS.
    >
    > Here is the issue:
    > HTML generated is alright. Except:
    > 1. IE the text is clipped instead of wrapping the text around inside
    > the fieldset/div. Even the right side of the fieldsets border is not
    > shown as it is extended and I am assuming "pushed" below the adjacent
    > element.
    > 2. FF if text is long it does not wrap nor it is clipped instead it
    > shows over its neighboring elements, which in my case is a table
    > adjacent.
    >
    > Code:
    > The generated output:
    > <fieldset>
    > <legend>Phrase</legend>
    > <ul>
    > <li>
    > this</a>
    > </li>
    > &middot;&nbsp;
    > <li>
    > should be visible'>word this sould wrapped and all words should be
    > visible</a>
    > </li>
    > &nbsp;&middot;&nbsp;
    > <li>
    > flow over adjacent element'>info again should not be clipped or flow
    > over adjacent element</a>
    > </li>
    > </ul>
    > </fieldset>
    >
    > CSS:
    > #div_words {float: left}
    > #div_words ul li{ list-style-type: none; float:left; margin: 0 10 0
    > -18; text-align:left; text-indent:0; color:#000}
    >
    > Questions:
    > How can I fix this?
    >
    > Additionally,
    > If you see the HTML I am using &nbsp;&middot;&nbsp; as seperator
    > between words, but in FF the &middot; is rendered before the words. How
    > can I fix this? I can live without this, my first need is how to fix
    > the clipping and overflowing of text.

    A URL to see the whole page would help, but at first glance I can see
    your CSS is invalid. Length values must have units except for '0'...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO